William & Mary vs. George Washington

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BrianFratusz

William & Mary vs. George Washington

Postby BrianFratusz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

If I graduate William & Mary, I'll graduate with 10k in debt. If I graduate GW, I'll have 80k in debt.

I'm interested in IP and Environmental, and though I graduated MIT, I was a political science major with no complete expertise in a science major.
I'd also much rather live in GW and go to a larger school.

It sounds like GW is more my type, but I'm wondering if the difference in debt is worth it?

Nammertat

Re: William & Mary vs. George Washington

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:32 pm

If your heart is dead set on working in a small firm in Virginia, choose William & Mary.... otherwise GW :D

YES it's worth the extra $$ for someone in IP.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Nammertat wrote:If your heart is dead set on working in a small firm in Virginia, choose William & Mary.... otherwise GW :D

YES it's worth the extra $$ for someone in IP.

Being interested in IP doesn't matter. He doesn't have the right background. I vote W and M.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Ask both law schools for more money--then decide.

BrianFratusz

Postby BrianFratusz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:35 pm

I already asked GW for more $. I asked for 30k/yr... they came up with $4k more to make it $24k. My parents are also contributing 20k/yr

I will say that I took 32-36 hours of science/engineering classes at MIT (8-9 classes). These include 2 classes in physics; 3 classes in earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences; 1 class in biology; 1 class in chemistry; 1 class (interdisciplinary) in civil&environmental + mechanical engineering; and one exploratory class in Python programming. I also took a PoliSci class that was entirely learning to program with STATA.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm

BrianFratusz wrote:I already asked GW for more $. I asked for 30k/yr... they came up with $4k more to make it $24k. My parents are also contributing 20k/yr

I will say that I took 32-36 hours of science/engineering classes at MIT (8-9 classes). These include 2 classes in physics; 3 classes in earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences; 1 class in biology; 1 class in chemistry; 1 class (interdisciplinary) in civil&environmental + mechanical engineering; and one exploratory class in Python programming. I also took a PoliSci class that was entirely learning to program with STATA.

Unfortunately that's not going to help. The boost will come from having the degree that makes you more marketable to the clients, not necessarily your substantive knowledge (although you won't have as much substantive knowledge in any of these subjects as someone with a degree in one of them).

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Last edited by .375 H&H Mag. on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:32 am

Nammertat wrote:If your heart is dead set on working in a small firm in Virginia, choose William & Mary.... otherwise GW :D

TITCR

W&M is great if you're a Virginia resident and want to work around the area in a small to mid-sized firm, strong enough employment but it won't net you something flashy unless you really excel. GW should give you a little more wiggle room with firms and govt hiring.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”