Should I Go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dudeimsocool

Should I Go

Postby dudeimsocool » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:00 am

Took the LSAT this time last year, got a 162, and got into a T2(80's) school (best in the state). Didn't feel like taking the LSAT again so I didn't, now I'm having some second thoughts. If I go I'll start in August, graduate with no debt. Should I go or retake and aim for higher school. Got into a couple T1's but didn't want to pay the 150k

jurisx

Re: Should I Go

Postby jurisx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 am

That is a full ride at cooley

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 am

Too many questions to give you a good answer:

Is this a state you want to practice in? Is it a state you have ties in? Is it a state with a good legal economy? Is it a state that has the kind of legal jobs you want? Does the school place well there, or is it just the tallest midget?

What were you practice test scores when studying for the LSAT? Did you under perform? Did you study effectively? How realistic is it for you to raise your score? What's your GPA?

Is the no debt based on burning through your savings? Is there a stipulation on any scholarships they offer you, and if so, how hard are they to keep? Are you leaving a good job?

No debt coming out of a school that places well in the place you want to wind up in can be a great option. Going to a tier two school with limited job prospects when you could have realistically gotten into a better school with more money is a bad option. We need to know more, but my gut feeling is that if you're already looking to transfer, then this school isn't the right decision.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:46 am

Graduating with no debt from your states flagship TT is not a bad move.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 am

Nova wrote:Graduating with no debt from your states flagship TT is not a bad move.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 am

What do you want to do with your law degree? Do you want to live in your state?

What is your GPA? As the above poasters said, graduating debt-free at your state's flagship school is a decent option, but if you have a really high GPA with that 162, then I would recommend considering a retake if your goals can be more effectively fulfilled by a higher-ranked school.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 am

Did you check lawschooltransparency.com yet?

This should be your simple mental calculus. From a particular school, assume the people with the top grades enjoy the best post-graduate outcomes. This is mainly true. Go to lawschooltransparency.com . Look up the 2010 (or, in the next few days, the 2011, as they will then be available) employment statistics of the school you are considering. Look at the percentage of the school's graduates' post-graduate outcomes that is working for a firm of more than 20 lawyers. Assume that any other post-graduate outcome pays under $55,000 dollars a year and so would make the cost to attend the school unbearable. This is also mainly true. Understand that law school grades according to a strict, normally distributed curve. Take the aforementioned percentage and translate it into the top percentage of the class your grades must fall into to expect to achieve an acceptable post-graduate outcome. Unless you can clearly believe, based on your LSAT and UGPA as compared to the schools' graduates' LSAT and UGPA, that you will fall into that top percentage of grades, do not attend the school without a full scholarship. Allow yourself a margin of error equal to at least 20%. Simple as that.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:18 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nova wrote:Graduating with no debt from your states flagship TT is not a bad move.

yeah big debt so much better. :roll:

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:34 pm

jurisx wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

wut

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Nova wrote:
jurisx wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

wut

Yeah, wait, wut?

dudeimsocool

Postby dudeimsocool » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 pm

yea i mean i really don't want to practice anywhere outside my state, so im basically wondering should i go or not, given current econ conditions im worried about spending three years and then not getting a good job, or none at all for that matter

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:54 pm

dudeimsocool wrote:yea i mean i really don't want to practice anywhere outside my state, so im basically wondering should i go or not, given current econ conditions im worried about spending three years and then not getting a good job, or none at all for that matter

Flagship school in the state you want to work in, no debt? Seems like a good bet to me.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:56 pm

dudeimsocool wrote:yea i mean i really don't want to practice anywhere outside my state, so im basically wondering should i go or not, given current econ conditions im worried about spending three years and then not getting a good job, or none at all for that matter

It's a legit concern, and good that you're thinking about it. Look up your school's employment stats on lawschooltransparency to see what kind of chances you have. Fortunately, with no debt to worry about, your situation is much more bearable should the worst occur and you can't find a job.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Nova wrote:
jurisx wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

wut

Not hard was responding to poster who appeared to be mocking your view. Sorry if it caused anyone to get confused. I don't always have the energy to spoon feed my sarcasm.

Long story short: I support what you said.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:54 pm

jurisx wrote:
Nova wrote:
wut

Not hard was responding to poster who appeared to be mocking your view. Sorry if it caused anyone to get confused. I don't always have the energy to spoon feed my sarcasm.

Long story short: I support what you said.

Haha, ok, I get it now. :wink:

OP, as for retaking, I have had the same second thoughts, and wish I retook the LSAT last Monday. Im not goint to sit out though. I dont think the "what ifs" will haunt me too much. If you think the "what ifs" are going to really haunt you, then it seems legit to sit out a cycle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”