BC vs. UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC or Davis?.....

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Boston College
77%
UC Davis
23%

Total votes: 22

uptowngirl22

BC vs. UC Davis

Postby uptowngirl22 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:28 pm

OK, want to get some non-family/friends opinions here. Deciding between BC and UC Davis, $24000 in need-based grant at UC Davis, no luck so far using this to negotiate to something at BC. Family from East Coast, partner lives in MA and is reluctant to move (is pushing BC heavily). No preference between CA and MA, but would be hoping for BigLaw. Will lack of ties hurt a lot in CA job search (Bay Area legal market is hurting I think)? Does the extra grant money make this an obvious choice for Davis (though living costs will be lower in MA because can split rent with partner)? Are BigLaw chances much better out of BC? Thoughts and comments very appreciated. Thanks.

SaintsTheMetal

Re: BC vs. UC Davis

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Don't go to California non top 14s, unless with a HUGE scholarship. They place worse than many TTTTs, leaving half their class unemployed. No ties in Norcal will make this even harder.

It's not that the UC schools are bad schools, the market just sucks in California, plus the California budget is jacked so even In State tuition is absolutely retarded expensive. If the $24000 is over 3 years, BC will still be cheaper. Even if that is every year, I would not go to Davis taking on over 100k of debt.. just talk to the students from UCD/UCH on this board, being at median at one of those schools means you are in trouble

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 pm

BC is too expensive at sticker for your relative chances at Biglaw. Even with 24k/ year, Davis will still cost you $200k, which is absurd. I wouldn't do either at those prices.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:10 pm

uptowngirl22 wrote:OK, want to get some non-family/friends opinions here. Deciding between BC and UC Davis, $24000 in need-based grant at UC Davis, no luck so far using this to negotiate to something at BC. Family from East Coast, partner lives in MA and is reluctant to move (is pushing BC heavily). No preference between CA and MA, but would be hoping for BigLaw. Will lack of ties hurt a lot in CA job search (Bay Area legal market is hurting I think)? Does the extra grant money make this an obvious choice for Davis (though living costs will be lower in MA because can split rent with partner)? Are BigLaw chances much better out of BC? Thoughts and comments very appreciated. Thanks.

yes lack of ties will hurt you in the Bay Area

Big Law chances in the Bay Area from BC, w/o ties are remote to say the least... Big Law chances in general though are much better in BC

My advice is forget about the Bay Area and go for BC

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:24 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:BC is too expensive at sticker for your relative chances at Biglaw. Even with 24k/ year, Davis will still cost you $200k, which is absurd. I wouldn't do either at those prices.

This. Neither.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:BC is too expensive at sticker for your relative chances at Biglaw. Even with 24k/ year, Davis will still cost you $200k, which is absurd. I wouldn't do either at those prices.

This. Neither.

Are these your last two options?? I think I'd have to agree with these guys if so. 200k+ is nuuuuuts in this job market, and that's coming from someone likely going to Davis

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm

OP, lsat/gpa?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 pm

BC unless you absolutely want to stay in Cali. BC places miles ahead of Davis.

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Neither of those options seem palatable, given your stated goals.

Davis doesn't place well, and BC will leave you under an entire Mountain Range of debt. Gun to my head, I'd say BC, but I'd rather not do either, given my druthers.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 pm

OP: What is the total COA for each law school ?

What are your numbers ?

Did you apply late in the cycle ?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:

This. Neither.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 pm

In a similar position. What if OP got $65k to BC? Is that still financial suicide?

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:In a similar position. What if OP got $65k to BC? Is that still financial suicide?

Better but still very expensive. Six figures of debt for middling employment stats.

uptowngirl22

Postby uptowngirl22 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 pm

---
Last edited by uptowngirl22 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm

uptowngirl22 wrote:Hey guyz, thanks for the help. I deposited at BC today. I seriously debated waiting a year and retaking, but a variety of details made it such that I'm going this year (PM if you want to hear the story). Checked out LST and BC's employment stats seem more encouraging than Davis', plus lack of Davis ties/strong ties in Boston market seem like they're deciding factors. My numbers were not great - 3.4/LSAT in the 162-164 range. BC did not match Davis - gave a small quantity of $ but this will be offset also by reduced living costs in Boston. Thanks everyone again!

A year off to retake is not a bad idea. I have a similar GPA and got into Penn, UVA, and Georgetown with a 170.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm

uptowngirl22 wrote:Hey guyz, thanks for the help. I deposited at BC today. I seriously debated waiting a year and retaking, but a variety of details made it such that I'm going this year (PM if you want to hear the story). Checked out LST and BC's employment stats seem more encouraging than Davis', plus lack of Davis ties/strong ties in Boston market seem like they're deciding factors. My numbers were not great - 3.4/LSAT in the 162-164 range. BC did not match Davis - gave a small quantity of $ but this will be offset also by reduced living costs in Boston. Thanks everyone again!

Good luck. Hustle and try to graduate in the top third of your class. And maybe consider cutting your losses and dropping out after 1L if you're bottom third.

uptowngirl22

Postby uptowngirl22 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:47 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:

Good luck. Hustle and try to graduate in the top third of your class. And maybe consider cutting your losses and dropping out after 1L if you're bottom third.

Given the state of the market, this is my feeling as well (re: leaving after 1L). Slightly indecorous, but better than debt and no job....

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 am

uptowngirl22 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

Given the state of the market, this is my feeling as well (re: leaving after 1L). Slightly indecorous, but better than debt and no job....

Or you can wait a year, get a 168-170, and possibly get a T14.

Just saying.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:18 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Don't go to California non top 14s, unless with a HUGE scholarship. They place worse than many TTTTs, leaving half their class unemployed. No ties in Norcal will make this even harder.

Totally agree that CA employment is a mess right now, but wtf?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

splitbrain wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Don't go to California non top 14s, unless with a HUGE scholarship. They place worse than many TTTTs, leaving half their class unemployed. No ties in Norcal will make this even harder.

Case in point:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
Just a few of the TTTs and an "unranked" school with better employment than Hastings

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm

BC was definitely the right call.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
splitbrain wrote:

Case in point:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
Just a few of the TTTs and an "unranked" school with better employment than Hastings

OP is looking at Davis but yeah it's not much better. Ouch.

ANoor

Postby ANoor » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

I would think Davis would place well in its region (ie Sacramento, Reno, Central Valley)

I don't have any hard facts to back that up, just giving my to cents.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”