Last minute update: Chicago v Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Duke ($67,500)
10%
Chicago ($30,000)
90%

Total votes: 59

nailglue

Last minute update: Chicago v Duke

Postby nailglue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Hey all,

I posted yesterday, but I just got some numbers from Chicago and wanted to revisit for some last minute help

As stated before, I want big law and to not work in the South (which some of you have said is limiting an entire section of the States, but seeing as how I'm from Tennessee and have traveled the area extensively, I can say that there isn't really an area here that I would want to call home on a permanent basis)

Thank you
Last edited by nailglue on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Re: Last minute update: Chicago v Duke

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 pm

nailglue wrote:Hey all,

I posted yesterday, but I just got some numbers from Chicago and wanted to revisit for some last minute help

As stated before, I want big law and to not work in the South (which some of you have said is limiting an entire section of the States, but seeing as how I'm from Tennessee and have traveled the area extensively, I can say that there isn't really an area here that I would want to call home here on a permanent basis)

Thank you

Why not Chicago in this case? Would be a no-brainer for me given that you don't want to work in the South, and Chicago is worth $37,500 more than Duke.

nailglue

Postby nailglue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm heavily leaning toward Chicago, but I wanted input from other law-minded individuals (My family and friends aren't interested in the topic at all)

ringo

Postby ringo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:45 pm

This is easy. See you at Chicago.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:46 pm

nailglue wrote:I'm heavily leaning toward Chicago, but I wanted input from other law-minded individuals (My family and friends aren't interested in the topic at all)

When I was deciding between law schools I think Duke was originally 25k over the offer I had from Chicago and I didn't even give Duke a second thought once the Chicago offer was on the table.

There's no reason to pick Duke here, IMO.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Definitely Chicago now. Not even close. Enjoy Hyde Park.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Enjoy Hyde Park.

lol

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Kronk wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Enjoy Hyde Park.

lol

:wink:

:D

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Definitely Chicago now. Not even close. Enjoy Hyde Park.

Bring a gun

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Retake Chicago

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Kronk wrote:Why not Chicago in this case? Would be a no-brainer for me given that you don't want to work in the South, and Chicago is worth $37,500 more than Duke.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Retake ED to U.Va

wsx111

Postby wsx111 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 am

SPAM

DaleCooper

Postby DaleCooper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

In this case, the obvious answer is to visit both schools as soon as possible. Your happiness in law school is going to be a big factor in your performance, and I cannot imagine any mortal being equally happy at both schools. They are absolute polar opposites in every way except class size, and at least a third of the law school population would be miserable at either.

Buy your plane tickets tonight. Barring that, take a Myers-Briggs test and figure out if you're an Introvert (Chicago!) or an Extrovert (Duke!). Either way, I cannot imagine leaving this decision up to an internet discussion board.

nailglue

Postby nailglue » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 am

DaleCooper wrote:In this case, the obvious answer is to visit both schools as soon as possible. Your happiness in law school is going to be a big factor in your performance, and I cannot imagine any mortal being equally happy at both schools. They are absolute polar opposites in every way except class size, and at least a third of the law school population would be miserable at either.

Buy your plane tickets tonight. Barring that, take a Myers-Briggs test and figure out if you're an Introvert (Chicago!) or an Extrovert (Duke!). Either way, I cannot imagine leaving this decision up to an internet discussion board.

I didn't completely. I made the decision based upon the school and where I would rather be personally. I went with Chicago.

Anecdotally, on a M-B test, I've always fallen right in the middle, just on the side of introvert. I can be either depending on what the occasion calls for.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 am

Not sure Duke is all that extroverted anyhow. Durham is f'ing tiny and both the class sizes are small and the schools in general are small. If I were an extrovert I'd rather be in Chicago.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 am

Kronk wrote:Not sure Duke is all that extroverted anyhow. Durham is f'ing tiny and both the class sizes are small and the schools in general are small. If I were an extrovert I'd rather be in Chicago.

yeah, I don't think people know what they're talking about. It's not like UChicago is a bunch of bookish nerds devoid of any social skill and Duke is a bunch of outgoing frat bros. Those may be funny caricatures for the Lounge but they're inaccurate and counter-productive in actually choosing a law school.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Kronk wrote:Not sure Duke is all that extroverted anyhow. Durham is f'ing tiny and both the class sizes are small and the schools in general are small. If I were an extrovert I'd rather be in Chicago.

yeah, I don't think people know what they're talking about. It's not like UChicago is a bunch of bookish nerds devoid of any social skill and Duke is a bunch of outgoing frat bros. Those may be funny caricatures for the Lounge but they're inaccurate and counter-productive in actually choosing a law school.

Aren't you a bookish nerd devoid of social skills, and don't you go to Chicago?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 am

Borhas wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Aren't you a bookish nerd devoid of social skills, and don't you go to Chicago?

Yeah, but they're not all like me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”