Houston or Denver

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Denver (COA 12k/year)
8
62%
Houston (COA 22k/year)
5
38%
 
Total votes: 13

mccline
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Houston or Denver

Postby mccline » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Should I select Denver with 26k/year or Houston with 7k?

I'll be starting a new life with my wife, so either city would be a fine place to live. I'm just trying to decide which would be more practical and actually pay off in the end.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Lower debt versus better economy. Both are also fairly insular markets which is good for lower ranked schools. Unfortunately you are still not looking at Biglaw from either without very top grades. I'd choose Denver, because it is a more manageable debt load and a better place to live.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Pick the region you like better, go there, profit.

I considered DU on a similar scholarship, passed it up to retake the LSAT. Denver is an awesome place and really nice school but the job prospects are pretty mediocre. I really loved the school when I visited. Can't speak about Houston.

Do you have to finance living expenses or can your wife cover you?

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Choose where you want to live. Northern CO vs. Houston. Massive difference.

If you care about aesthetics, not only is Colorado >>>>>>>>> TX, but DU Law >>>>>>>>>>>>> UH Law. As was said though, the economy in TX is much stronger than the economy in CO.

mccline
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby mccline » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm

flem wrote:Pick the region you like better, go there, profit.

I considered DU on a similar scholarship, passed it up to retake the LSAT. Denver is an awesome place and really nice school but the job prospects are pretty mediocre. I really loved the school when I visited. Can't speak about Houston.

Do you have to finance living expenses or can your wife cover you?


We'll have to finance living for the first year until my wife graduates, then she'll cover us.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

mccline wrote:We'll have to finance living for the first year until my wife graduates, then she'll cover us.


So you're looking at a total COA at Denver of like 50-60K? I'd do that in a heartbeat because Colorado is awesome, but I'd be prepared to drop out if you find yourself below median at DU after 1L.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 pm

flem wrote:drop out if you find yourself below median at DU after 1L.


Best advice you'll probably never follow.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm confused because your poll numbers differ from your first post in his thread. Can you clarify ?

mccline
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby mccline » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I'm confused because your poll numbers differ from your first post in his thread. Can you clarify ?


The poll numbers are full tuition minus the scholarship offered.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Houston or Denver

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Better to calculate the total COA for each law school. Regardless, Houston for Houston & Denver for the Denver area.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests