/HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
daffy7856

New

/HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP

Post by daffy7856 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Okay so I got accepted to Drexel Law in Philly which is an up and comer, but I also got accepted to UNLV which is currently higher ranked. UNLV hasn't mentioned any scholarship or anything, which should I go to?

dingbat

Gold

Re: /HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP

Post by dingbat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Where do you want to practice?
What will be the cost of attendance for each?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm

1) Never be suckered by a school's claim of being an "up and comer" -- every school ranked below the T14 claims this. The ones that move up a few spaces one year usually move down a few the next. It's very rare for a law school to really change its position in today's competitive environment.

2) Both are going to be local/regional schools for the most part, so think about where you want to practice.

3) You need to take a serious look at total cost of attendance. Neither of these schools are exactly going to give you your pick of jobs and you have a substantial risk of graduating unemployed altogether.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Neither. Go to neither school. For the love of God...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Either are ok if they are free and you and from and want to practice in their respective regions.

If you are paying, then the situation gets murkier.

If you haven't taken the LSAT 3 times you could always retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Unless it's free, retake or don't go.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Where do you want to work? Did you get any money from Drexel? Neither school is worth going to without a hefty scholarship.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Where are you from? Pennsylvania? Nevada?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:52 pm

This shouldn't be a choice. Outside the top schools, target market is the number one factor. Do you want to do PD work in Philly or DUI defense in Vegas?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:This shouldn't be a choice. Outside the top schools, target market is the number one factor. Do you want to do PD work in Philly or DUI defense in Vegas?
When you provide that hypo, DUI defense in Vegas wins every time.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm

This has to be flame. This guy needed help that bad but then disappeared two minutes after posting his question?

drgonzo

New

Post by drgonzo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm

I actually considered going to UNLV in early 2009, mostly because I (correctly) predicted that the market had bottomed out and could afford to pay cash for a Henderson track house foreclosure. BUT........

Then UNLV cranked its out-of-state tuition from ~22k to ~30k between 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 (10k increase in one year). The proffered excuse was poor revenue with no uptick in sight and no possibility of scholarship. That put the kibosh on that plan.

God knows what tuition must be now.

Edit: $34,900 before health insurance. PASS.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:This has to be flame. This guy needed help that bad but then disappeared two minutes after posting his question?
if it is a flame, it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Op, these schools are so dissimilar WRT placement that they should never be weighed against one another

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daffy7856

New

Post by daffy7856 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:25 am

This is def not flame. I just had a busy night. Ok so I used to live in nv but most of my family is in philly. At this point it would be cheaper to go back to nv but drexel is giving me a much better scholarship and I would rather live in philly. I currently live in fl and I have my 5 year old going with me. I understand that most of u think only the top 17 are worth going to but honestly I don't want to have to wait another year and retake lsat for that. So which is the lesser of two evils?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 am

daffy7856 wrote:This is def not flame. I just had a busy night. Ok so I used to live in nv but most of my family is in philly. At this point it would be cheaper to go back to nv but drexel is giving me a much better scholarship and I would rather live in philly. I currently live in fl and I have my 5 year old going with me. I understand that most of u think only the top 17 are worth going to but honestly I don't want to have to wait another year and retake lsat for that. So which is the lesser of two evils?
The year goes by much faster than you might think. Just focus on retaking in October. With so much attention paid to the lsat and retaking in October, the next few months will go by quickly. While applying for schools, waiting out your cycle, and working, the year will just fly by because you will be well occupied. Then, take the month of July and August off to just relax before school. This is what I did (hell, it's what most of us did), and it has worked out pretty well.

daffy7856

New

Post by daffy7856 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

I am finished with my ba this week.IAre you suggesting that I take a year off from school. Are these schools really that bad? I mean I'm a great student so transferring after 1L is an option. Plus I don't think I've ever asked a lawyer I hired wat school he went to. I find it hard to believe only harvard and yale grads get good jobs. And drexel has a pretty good co op program.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am

daffy7856 wrote:I am finished with my ba this week.IAre you suggesting that I take a year off from school. Are these schools really that bad? I mean I'm a great student so transferring after 1L is an option. Plus I don't think I've ever asked a lawyer I hired wat school he went to. I find it hard to believe only harvard and yale grads get good jobs. And drexel has a pretty good co op program.
Not sure if trolling or just retarded

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am

This isn't real.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 am

tfleming09 wrote:
daffy7856 wrote:I am finished with my ba this week.IAre you suggesting that I take a year off from school. Are these schools really that bad? I mean I'm a great student so transferring after 1L is an option. Plus I don't think I've ever asked a lawyer I hired wat school he went to. I find it hard to believe only harvard and yale grads get good jobs. And drexel has a pretty good co op program.
+1

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Regardless, it's retarded.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am

All the tell tale signs of flame are here:

Two terrible schools in completely random different locations
Refusal to retake and reapply
Refusal to acknowledge that the schools are bad
Anecdotal evidence
Belief that it doesnt matter what school you go to for some nonsensical reason ( I never ask lawyers what school they went to so obviously it doesn't matter!)
Some random cutoff of what good schools are (I'm not trying to go to a T17)

And the most obvious giveaway-
I'm a good student so I'll totally just transfer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daffy7856

New

Post by daffy7856 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 am

Wow I thought I was explaining myself but I guess that my question seems inauthentic might be an answer. I didn't think these schools were that bad but I guess I'm wrong and haven't really achieved anything. Thanks everyone.

daffy7856

New

Post by daffy7856 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

What schools are you all going to?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:19 am

I would caution everyone about assuming OP is a troll/flame. Maybe they are, and if so, fuck them. But there is a chance they are not. Hundreds of people matriculate to these schools every year.

OP. How much are your scholarships worth? How much is the total cost of attendance, including cost of living, at each? What is your GPA/LSAT? All of these are relevant.

Here are stats for the class of 2010, 9 months after graduating:
LST: UNLV class of 2010 wrote:74.7% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
86.3% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
84.9% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
75.3% of all graduates secured job offers by graduation.
50% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
We know that at least 25% of this school's graduates made $62,186 or more.
LST: Drexel Class of 2010 wrote:50.4% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
60.2% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
61.1% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
27.4% of all graduates secured job offers by graduation.
22.1% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
We know that at least 11.1% of this school's graduates made $57,408 or more.
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 am

Ludovico Technique wrote: Some random cutoff of what good schools are (I'm not trying to go to a T17)
USC students would be pissed :lol:
daffy7856 wrote:What schools are you all going to?
UMN, Class of 2015

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”