NYU or UChicago?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snsn2012

New

NYU or UChicago??

Post by snsn2012 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

Did anyone else choose between these two schools? How did you decide?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 pm

snsn2012 wrote:Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

academia would be really the only thing. That and whichever city you prefer.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
snsn2012 wrote:Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

Not anymore. NYU was the most successful school in the country this year in academic placement.

Peer schools are peer. Pick the school and the city that you want to go to.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Not anymore. NYU was the most successful school in the country this year in academic placement.

Peer schools are peer. Pick the school and the city that you want to go to.
OK well then pick based on city and whether you want TEH RIGOR

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.
You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.

sn20

Bronze

Post by sn20 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 pm

your username is weirdly similar to mine. and i just got off the waitlist too, except i was committed to UVA...strange. anyways, since money is equal i would just pick whichever one you like more.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.
You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.
how is NYU in Chicago? A lot worse than Northwestern? Chi is my fav market, but I am by no means exclusively interested in it.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
how is NYU in Chicago? A lot worse than Northwestern? Chi is my fav market, but I am by no means exclusively interested in it.
I'm sure it does fine, but it's tough to tell by crunching numbers because so many self-select out of Chicago.

I would think probably similar to/maybe a little better than Northwestern? Maybe? Perhaps you have a better chance because so NYU grads are more rare in Chicago. Or maybe that hurts because the alumni base is weaker. I think there are arguments to be made in both directions.

But the number of SA positions in Chicago is way less than in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
I'm sure it does fine, but it's tough to tell by crunching numbers because so many self-select out of Chicago.

I would think probably similar to/maybe a little better than Northwestern? Maybe? Perhaps you have a better chance because so NYU grads are more rare in Chicago. Or maybe that hurts because the alumni base is weaker. I think there are arguments to be made in both directions.

But the number of SA positions in Chicago is way less than in NYC.
this is kinda what I figured. I assume that since I'm coming from close to Chicago, my chances will improve somewhat. Either way, I'm cool with NYC, DC, LA, SF, Boston... so it's not a huge deal if I don't end up there.

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 pm

OP, having just spent a lot of time in another NYU-v-Chicago thread pushing for NYU... if Chicago is your favorite market, and beyond that you're mostly okay with anything, you should absolutely go to Chicago. NYU isn't going to shut you out of Chicago, but it seems like you'd be needlessly making things less safe and certainly much less convenient with regards to your one expressed preference.

Bgibbs

New

Post by Bgibbs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

It sounds like you want to work in Chicago, so go to Chicago. They're peer schools, and you can't go wrong, but if want to work in Chicago going to the best law school in that city is the best choice.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Depends. Do you prefer fun or RIGOR?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 am

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.
While I appreciate your 0L opinion on legal employment, NYU self selects so much into NYC it's nearly impossible to show anything with data. All I can really say is when I was interviewing in the Midwest the comments I received from partners were comparing NYU to T6 schools not the other T14 schools.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 am

Renzo wrote:Depends. Do you prefer fun or RIGOR?
RIGOR is fun.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
While I appreciate your 0L opinion on legal employment, NYU self selects so much into NYC it's nearly impossible to show anything with data. All I can really say is when I was interviewing in the Midwest the comments I received from partners were comparing NYU to T6 schools not the other T14 schools.
And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 am

Real Madrid wrote: And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.
You know damn well that data isn't reliable and can't give you the whole picture. And if you dont, you should.

And that data can tell you fuckall about nyu vs uchi outside of NYC.

I realize you just troll nyu all over. But you should really try and know what you're talking about.

Also, I prefaced my statement on the fact that it was anecdotal and gave a reason for why I can't give a better analysis.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am

Yay, this debate again

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.
And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.
Once again, self selection

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am

Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.
lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.
I realize you just troll nyu all over.
Someone's got to, because there's some egregious pro-NYU trolling going on in this thread.
Last edited by Real Madrid on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Chicago, NYU is a TTT in decline.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.
lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.
ITT: RealMadrid cements himself as the #1 Berk troll ala TaipeiMort with UChi

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

ITT: RealMadrid cements himself as the #1 Berk troll ala TaipeiMort with UChi
Please find where I've tried to indicate that Berkeley is better than Harvard. :x

Edit: I forgot to mention that NYU has a diluted faculty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”