NYU or UChicago??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snsn2012
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 am

NYU or UChicago??

Postby snsn2012 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

Did anyone else choose between these two schools? How did you decide?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 pm

snsn2012 wrote:Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

Did anyone else choose between these two schools? How did you decide?

academia would be really the only thing. That and whichever city you prefer.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
snsn2012 wrote:Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

Did anyone else choose between these two schools? How did you decide?

academia would be really the only thing. That and whichever city you prefer.

Not anymore. NYU was the most successful school in the country this year in academic placement.

Peer schools are peer. Pick the school and the city that you want to go to.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
snsn2012 wrote:Settled on NYU and was thrilled until I was admitted off the UChicago wait list today. No money to either school. Interested in working in either D.C., New York, or Chicago after school. Didn't have a chance to visit UChicago but loved NYU and know I'd be happy there.

NYU seems like the right fit, but I'm concerned about passing up a school with slightly better name recognition/cachet. Are there any compelling reasons to pick UChicago? Interested in big firm and possibly clerking right out of school--are job opportunities comparable at each school?

Did anyone else choose between these two schools? How did you decide?

academia would be really the only thing. That and whichever city you prefer.

Not anymore. NYU was the most successful school in the country this year in academic placement.

Peer schools are peer. Pick the school and the city that you want to go to.

OK well then pick based on city and whether you want TEH RIGOR

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby sn20 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 pm

your username is weirdly similar to mine. and i just got off the waitlist too, except i was committed to UVA...strange. anyways, since money is equal i would just pick whichever one you like more.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.

how is NYU in Chicago? A lot worse than Northwestern? Chi is my fav market, but I am by no means exclusively interested in it.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.

how is NYU in Chicago? A lot worse than Northwestern? Chi is my fav market, but I am by no means exclusively interested in it.

I'm sure it does fine, but it's tough to tell by crunching numbers because so many self-select out of Chicago.

I would think probably similar to/maybe a little better than Northwestern? Maybe? Perhaps you have a better chance because so NYU grads are more rare in Chicago. Or maybe that hurts because the alumni base is weaker. I think there are arguments to be made in both directions.

But the number of SA positions in Chicago is way less than in NYC.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.

how is NYU in Chicago? A lot worse than Northwestern? Chi is my fav market, but I am by no means exclusively interested in it.

I'm sure it does fine, but it's tough to tell by crunching numbers because so many self-select out of Chicago.

I would think probably similar to/maybe a little better than Northwestern? Maybe? Perhaps you have a better chance because so NYU grads are more rare in Chicago. Or maybe that hurts because the alumni base is weaker. I think there are arguments to be made in both directions.

But the number of SA positions in Chicago is way less than in NYC.

this is kinda what I figured. I assume that since I'm coming from close to Chicago, my chances will improve somewhat. Either way, I'm cool with NYC, DC, LA, SF, Boston... so it's not a huge deal if I don't end up there.

legalmindedfella
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby legalmindedfella » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 pm

OP, having just spent a lot of time in another NYU-v-Chicago thread pushing for NYU... if Chicago is your favorite market, and beyond that you're mostly okay with anything, you should absolutely go to Chicago. NYU isn't going to shut you out of Chicago, but it seems like you'd be needlessly making things less safe and certainly much less convenient with regards to your one expressed preference.

Bgibbs
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Bgibbs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

It sounds like you want to work in Chicago, so go to Chicago. They're peer schools, and you can't go wrong, but if want to work in Chicago going to the best law school in that city is the best choice.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Depends. Do you prefer fun or RIGOR?

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.


No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 am

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.


No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.

While I appreciate your 0L opinion on legal employment, NYU self selects so much into NYC it's nearly impossible to show anything with data. All I can really say is when I was interviewing in the Midwest the comments I received from partners were comparing NYU to T6 schools not the other T14 schools.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 am

Renzo wrote:Depends. Do you prefer fun or RIGOR?

RIGOR is fun.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Chicago gives you a better chance at non-NYC jobs. NYU is not in a dangerous area and will give you awesome opportunities at NYC big law with good grades.

You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.


No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.

While I appreciate your 0L opinion on legal employment, NYU self selects so much into NYC it's nearly impossible to show anything with data. All I can really say is when I was interviewing in the Midwest the comments I received from partners were comparing NYU to T6 schools not the other T14 schools.


And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 am

Real Madrid wrote:And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.

You know damn well that data isn't reliable and can't give you the whole picture. And if you dont, you should.

And that data can tell you fuckall about nyu vs uchi outside of NYC.

I realize you just troll nyu all over. But you should really try and know what you're talking about.

Also, I prefaced my statement on the fact that it was anecdotal and gave a reason for why I can't give a better analysis.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby moonman157 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am

Yay, this debate again

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:You don't need good grades to have a good chance at NYC big law from NYU. Also, outside of Chicago they are probably pretty much the same everywhere. I will say that NYU has less of an edge in NYC than UChi does in Chicago.


No. It's more like, outside of NYC NYU is the same as the rest of the T14 everywhere.

While I appreciate your 0L opinion on legal employment, NYU self selects so much into NYC it's nearly impossible to show anything with data. All I can really say is when I was interviewing in the Midwest the comments I received from partners were comparing NYU to T6 schools not the other T14 schools.


And while I appreciate your anecdotal, unverified evidence on legal employment, I'll just look at the last 5+ years of NLJ numbers (which are already biased towards northeastern firms), which show that NYU is consistently lagging behind Columbia and Chicago when it comes to big law employment.

Once again, self selection

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am

Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.


lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.

I realize you just troll nyu all over.


Someone's got to, because there's some egregious pro-NYU trolling going on in this thread.
Last edited by Real Madrid on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby ajaxconstructions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Chicago, NYU is a TTT in decline.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.


lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.


ITT: RealMadrid cements himself as the #1 Berk troll ala TaipeiMort with UChi

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: NYU or UChicago??

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Seriously though. With uchi sending 1 or 2 students into PI each year they better have a huge advantage in NLJ placement.


lol ok. Then why has, for example, Berkeley equaled (2010) or bettered (2011, 2012) NYU's big law placement the last three years when they send roughly equal percentages to PI? After all, NYC was the first market (and so far has been the best) to rebound from ITE and NLJ is already biased towards NE firms.

I can buy that NYU was a step ahead of the Penns, UVAs and Berkeleys of the world before ITE, but most of the employment stats since then seem to indicate that it's easily the weakest of CCN in virtually all measures other than PI and is regularly schooled at big law by "lesser" schools in smaller markets like Penn and NU.


ITT: RealMadrid cements himself as the #1 Berk troll ala TaipeiMort with UChi


Please find where I've tried to indicate that Berkeley is better than Harvard. :x

Edit: I forgot to mention that NYU has a diluted faculty.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest