Miami/Tulane Sports Law Programs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lambert8

Miami/Tulane Sports Law Programs

Postby lambert8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Does any one have any info/first hand experience about either of these programs? Thanks.

flem

Re: Miami/Tulane Sports Law Programs

Postby flem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Go to the best school because sports law is a flame. HTH

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

What about Marquette? I heard they're really good, too.

In all seriousness:

flem wrote:Go to the best school because sports law is a flame. HTH

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Junior year of undergrad I had an internship at the MLS. At the time I was considering going to one of these schools for "Sports Law" or even Marquette. I requested a coffee meeting with the league's general counsel to get his thoughts.

He told me that it is bogus. He said that sport leagues and teams are just businesses and there is nothing unique. Major issues for them are things like antitrust, copyrights, labor law, immigration and the like. In other words, nothing that any law school education won't teach you. He said go to the best law school you can go to and afford and to ignore these "sports" programs. He also said it takes 15 minutes to express an interest in working in sports in an interview, but a lot more persuasion to convince them they should hire a Miami grad because of "Sports Law" instead of a Fordham grad who wants to work in sports.

I took this advice to heart and I suggest you do the same

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

abc12345675 wrote:Junior year of undergrad I had an internship at the MLS. At the time I was considering going to one of these schools for "Sports Law" or even Marquette. I requested a coffee meeting with the league's general counsel to get his thoughts.

He told me that it is bogus. He said that sport leagues and teams are just businesses and there is nothing unique. Major issues for them are things like antitrust, copyrights, labor law, immigration and the like. In other words, nothing that any law school education won't teach you. He said go to the best law school you can go to and afford and to ignore these "sports" programs. He also said it takes 15 minutes to express an interest in working in sports in an interview, but a lot more persuasion to convince them they should hire a Miami grad because of "Sports Law" instead of a Fordham grad who wants to work in sports.

I took this advice to heart and I suggest you do the same

Fantastically put and I completely agree.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”