UMN vs Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Teflon_Jeff

UMN vs Cardozo

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Minnesota w/ $105K vs Cardozo w/ $60K

I know UMN is the easy choice here. The question is, at what dollar amount should I start seriously considering Cardozo, considering I like the NYC market?

Serious factors to consider:
Married with Children, so Cost of living is a big factor, as is the excellent MN school system
In-State at UMN for yrs 2-3 should be easy to achieve, what with the whole family angle helping.
While I would prefer the NYC market if given my druthers, it's not super important/dreamy.

Thoughts?

Gwen

Re: UMN vs Cardozo

Postby Gwen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:Minnesota w/ $105K vs Cardozo w/ $60K

I know UMN is the easy choice here. The question is, at what dollar amount should I start seriously considering Cardozo, considering I like the NYC market?

Serious factors to consider:
Married with Children, so Cost of living is a big factor, as is the excellent MN school system
In-State at UMN for yrs 2-3 should be easy to achieve, what with the whole family angle helping.
While I would prefer the NYC market if given my druthers, it's not super important/dreamy.

Thoughts?

UMN.

It's very expensive to raise a family in NYC, where do you live now?

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I live in ID, we will have about 20K in savings heading wherever we go.

Right now, definitely UMN. My phone conversation with Cardozo made me feel they wanted me somewhat badly though, so I'm trying to come up with a number that it would take to sway me off of UMN to Cardozo.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:I live in ID, we will have about 20K in savings heading wherever we go.

Right now, definitely UMN. My phone conversation with Cardozo made me feel they wanted me somewhat badly though, so I'm trying to come up with a number that it would take to sway me off of UMN to Cardozo.

You're going to be in for a rude awaking, as far as cost of living is concerned, by moving to NYC. I don't really see how it can be worth it. Minnesota is giving you a lot of money, they have a great school system, and you don't see to have a compelling reason to want NYC. Where do you want to practice?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

This isn't even a debate. Why would you pick a much lower ranked (and objectively worse) school that's giving you less money?

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:The question is, at what dollar amount should I start seriously considering Cardozo, considering I like the NYC market?

I understand that, as is, UMN is the decision. I'm going to counter offer to Cardozo, and I'm asking for input on what amount I should put as my "I need X dollars to attend over UMN"

Or does that number not even feasibly exist?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
Teflon_Jeff wrote:The question is, at what dollar amount should I start seriously considering Cardozo, considering I like the NYC market?

I understand that, as is, UMN is the decision. I'm going to counter offer to Cardozo, and I'm asking for input on what amount I should put as my "I need X dollars to attend over UMN"

I had to make a very similar choice.... Yes the number exists.... but its really high lol.

Seriously it'd have to be >45k/year.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:

To me, no. You said you aren't that invested in NYC. You have kids. Minnesota has a better rep. They gave you a scholarship. Fuck Cardozo.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Go to Minnesota.

-Less of a culture shock for your family
-Cheaper (both school and COL)
-better place for your family to live
- better chance at a high paying job

I know you say you want NYC, but I really think from Idaho your family would be much happier in Minneapolis.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 pm

UMN. A UMN degree carries more weight in MN than a Cardozo degree carries in NY. And in your case, for a far lower price.

Your TLS profile shows you as WL'd at Cardozo. When did you get accepted, if you don't mind my asking? Today?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Edit- RC fail.

Either way, does anyone know if UMN is even able to place into the NYC market? If OP wants NYC market, wouldn't UMN become irrelevant if it can't get him back there?
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Robespierre wrote:UMN. A UMN degree carries more weight in MN than a Cardozo degree carries in NY.

Really? Care to back that statement up?

Anyone have Minnesota's placement records into the NYC/Mid-Atlantic market?

Wut?

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Robespierre wrote:UMN. A UMN degree carries more weight in MN than a Cardozo degree carries in NY. And in your case, for a far lower price.

Your TLS profile shows you as WL'd at Cardozo. When did you get accepted, if you don't mind my asking? Today?

Yeah, they called and e-mailed this morning.

Doorkeeper wrote:Edit- RC fail.

Either way, does anyone know if UMN is even able to place into the NYC market? If OP wants NYC market, wouldn't UMN become irrelevant if it can't get him back there?

NYC market isn't a huge deal. While I like NYC, and would like to live there, it's not a huge deal. Just a nice benefit.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Teflon_Jeff wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Edit- RC fail.

NYC market isn't a huge deal. While I like NYC, and would like to live there, it's not a huge deal. Just a nice benefit.

If you're kind of ambivalent about the NYC market, and you wouldn't mind living in Minneapolis in the short to medium term, definitely go UMN here.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 pm

OP, please in all seriousness do not relocate your family from Idaho to NYC because you liked it for a week when you visited.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 pm

..edited for huge math fail

Teflon_Jeff

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

abc12345675 wrote:OP, please in all seriousness do not relocate your family from Idaho to NYC because you liked it for a week when you visited.

I lived there for 8 months when working on a Hall of Fame project, and my wife's sister lives on Long Island. We're typically there visiting every year.

But hey, thanks for the hasty and ill-informed generalization.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. UMN is almost guaranteed the way to go, short of Cardozo upping their offer to unheard of levels.

Cheers.

Zionman

Postby Zionman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 pm

GO DOZOOOOOOOO! THe connects run deep! It's projected to surpass fordham within a few years. thank me later.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Zionman wrote:GO DOZOOOOOOOO! THe connects run deep! It's projected to surpass fordham within a few years. thank me later.

Lol do you sell used cars?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 pm

I hear in-state residency is very difficult to get in Minn. Still, I think UMN is the way to go, unless Dozo matches, atleast.

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Zionman wrote:GO DOZOOOOOOOO! THe connects run deep! It's projected to surpass fordham within a few years. thank me later.

This trolling is boring and uncreative. 152.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 am

UMN- it would take full ride from Dozo to sway me with that scholly. Dozo is not the bottom of the pecking order in NYC but it's far enough down to make finding a job challenging.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 pm

You have in-state tuition and a 105k scholly? UMN 100%

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:30 pm

So long as you understand that

1) UMN places well in a horrible market (no biglaw, mediocre midlaw, etc.) and 2) Cardozo places horribly in a great market (shot at biglaw is low even if you make law review, which you should imagine you won't).

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:So long as you understand that

1) UMN places well in a horrible market (no biglaw, mediocre midlaw, etc.) and 2) Cardozo places horribly in a great market (shot at biglaw is low even if you make law review, which you should imagine you won't).

Meh

OP, do you want to be a betta fish in the ocean, or a big fish in a lake?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”