Belmont Law for federal career + entertainment entrepreneur Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mikeseltz

New

Belmont Law for federal career + entertainment entrepreneur

Post by mikeseltz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 am

I'm considering applying to Belmont Law during the next admissions cycle and I'm reaching out to the wisdom of crowds for help making a decision.

Here's my unique, non-trad situation. I'm just about to get out of the Army and will eventually use the GI Bill to attend law school and get an MBA. Cost is not a concern. My day job career goal is to become a legal professional (general attorney, contracting officer, etc) in one of the branches of the U.S. Government. Starting salary is not a concern. With veterans hiring preference, my only requirement to get a federal law job is a law degree and bar admission in any state. Prestige, employment statistics, and location are not a concern.

The primary reason I want to attend Belmont is to become an entrepreneur in music business (festival organizer, record label, artist management, booking agency, etc). It seems that the specialized curriculum, alumni network, and name brand in the entertainment industry makes Belmont uniquely suited to my interests and goals. Although many could reasonably argue that law and business degrees aren't necessary for a career in the entertainment industry, it seems to me that they are very useful and maximize one's opportunities. In addition to being able to be everything to my clients, I would also be able to invent, or be an early adopter of, the newest and most profitable business models in the entertainment industry. In addition to the typical entertainment law and music business curriculum in the JD and MBA programs, I would also be able to take some music recording technology courses at Belmont.

So, TLS, given my situation and goals, does Belmont sound like a good choice?

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by mikeseltz on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Re: Belmont Law for federal career + entertainment entrepreneur

Post by flem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 am

Belmont has a law school? Since when?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:37 am

mikeseltz wrote:I'm considering applying to Belmont Law during the next admissions cycle and I'm reaching out to the wisdom of crowds for help making a decision.

Here's my unique, non-trad situation. I'm just about to get out of the Army and will eventually use the GI Bill to attend law school and get an MBA. Cost is not a concern. My day job career goal is to become a legal professional (general attorney, contracting officer, etc) in one of the branches of the U.S. Government. Starting salary is not a concern. With veterans hiring preference, my only requirement to get a federal law job is a law degree and bar admission in any state. Prestige, employment statistics, and location are not a concern.

The primary reason I want to attend Belmont is to become an entrepreneur in music business (festival organizer, record label, artist management, booking agency, etc). It seems that the specialized curriculum, alumni network, and name brand in the entertainment industry makes Belmont uniquely suited to my interests and goals. Although many could reasonably argue that law and business degrees aren't necessary for a career in the entertainment industry, it seems to me that they are very useful and maximize one's opportunities. In addition to being able to be everything to my clients, I would also be able to invent, or be an early adopter of, the newest and most profitable business models in the entertainment industry. In addition to the typical entertainment law and music business curriculum in the JD and MBA programs, I would also be able to take some music recording technology courses at Belmont.

So, TLS, given my situation and goals, does Belmont sound like a good choice?

--ImageRemoved--
No. It isn't a good idea. Take music classes. Don't waste time and money on a degree you don't need. Law school doesn't teach you the practical stuff you need.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 am

Fed entry level lawyer hiring is largely a pipe dream. Belmont is not accredited and you will have to take the TN Bar. You will want to stay in Nashville. It's a tight market and Belmont is a bit player. This is not a good idea.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 am

Not sure if serious...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am

Belmont actually has a really good program in Federal Music Festivals. Sounds like it's right up your alley. I think you should go.

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 am

kwais wrote:Belmont actually has a really good program in Federal Music Festivals. Sounds like it's right up your alley. I think you should go.
LOL.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 am

A federal attorney position is not likely from a school like Belmont even with veteran's preference. These positions are highly competitive and from what I understand tend to discount or eschew the veteran's preference in favor of more traditional legal hiring factors like school rank and grades. JAG is not really even a possibility- I know a veteran from a top 6 school who struck out at JAG.
mikeseltz wrote:The primary reason I want to attend Belmont is to become an entrepreneur in music business (festival organizer, record label, artist management, booking agency, etc). It seems that the specialized curriculum, alumni network, and name brand in the entertainment industry makes Belmont uniquely suited to my interests and goals. Although many could reasonably argue that law and business degrees aren't necessary for a career in the entertainment industry, it seems to me that they are very useful and maximize one's opportunities. In addition to being able to be everything to my clients, I would also be able to invent, or be an early adopter of, the newest and most profitable business models in the entertainment industry. In addition to the typical entertainment law and music business curriculum in the JD and MBA programs, I would also be able to take some music recording technology courses at Belmont.
Forgive me for being blunt, but none of this really makes any sense. You are speaking in generalities and it sounds like you cobbled together a bunch of statements from school promotional materials. A law degree, especially from a school lightly regarded like Belmont, is not a backdoor into the entertainment industry. That will take years of hustling around bars and concert venues, signing up acts, and hoping one strikes it big. Unless you have a plan for exactly what you are going to do with the law degree that will better help you achieve your goals, do not waste your time and the GI Bill on Belmont.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 am

LOL at not caring about prestige for federal hiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeseltz

New

Post by mikeseltz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Band A Long wrote:
kwais wrote:Belmont actually has a really good program in Federal Music Festivals. Sounds like it's right up your alley. I think you should go.
LOL.
--ImageRemoved--

mikeseltz

New

Post by mikeseltz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 pm

timbs4339 wrote:A federal attorney position is not likely from a school like Belmont even with veteran's preference. These positions are highly competitive and from what I understand tend to discount or eschew the veteran's preference in favor of more traditional legal hiring factors like school rank and grades. JAG is not really even a possibility- I know a veteran from a top 6 school who struck out at JAG.

There are a lot of positions in the federal government that aren't attorney positions, but are the same pay grade and require or prefer a law degree and bar membership. Many fed jobs hire prior feds or military exclusively. I'm not interested in JAG or staying in the Army.
mikeseltz wrote:The primary reason I want to attend Belmont is to become an entrepreneur in music business (festival organizer, record label, artist management, booking agency, etc). It seems that the specialized curriculum, alumni network, and name brand in the entertainment industry makes Belmont uniquely suited to my interests and goals. Although many could reasonably argue that law and business degrees aren't necessary for a career in the entertainment industry, it seems to me that they are very useful and maximize one's opportunities. In addition to being able to be everything to my clients, I would also be able to invent, or be an early adopter of, the newest and most profitable business models in the entertainment industry. In addition to the typical entertainment law and music business curriculum in the JD and MBA programs, I would also be able to take some music recording technology courses at Belmont.
Forgive me for being blunt, but none of this really makes any sense. You are speaking in generalities and it sounds like you cobbled together a bunch of statements from school promotional materials. A law degree, especially from a school lightly regarded like Belmont, is not a backdoor into the entertainment industry. That will take years of hustling around bars and concert venues, signing up acts, and hoping one strikes it big. Unless you have a plan for exactly what you are going to do with the law degree that will better help you achieve your goals, do not waste your time and the GI Bill on Belmont.
I'm not looking for a 'backdoor into the entertainment industry'. There is no door that needs to be opened, it's really as simple as just starting to do what you mentioned, signing up acts and doing the hustle. So that's the plan, exactly. The law degree from Belmont helps me do this by enabling me to write and negotiate all kinds of contracts, initiate sync/mechanical/performance licensing deals, and protect my label's intellectual property and my client's interests.

As long as I'm a member of the bar with a law degree, I can get a federal law job and pursue music on the side.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm

mikeseltz wrote:As long as I'm a member of the bar with a law degree, I can get a federal law job and pursue music on the side.
LA FLAMA BLANCA

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
mikeseltz wrote:As long as I'm a member of the bar with a law degree, I can get a federal law job and pursue music on the side.
LA FLAMA BLANCA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeseltz

New

Post by mikeseltz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm

kalvano wrote:LOL at not caring about prestige for federal hiring.
From what I've been told by federal recruiters, as long as I meet the qualifications of the position, my veterans preference trumps all else except someone with more veterans preference. My understanding is that any exceptions are illegal.

Veterans preference doesn't apply to positions above GS-12, SES, or the judicial and legislative branches.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42 pm

I think there are more veterans with law degrees (and much more prestigious law degrees, at that) than you think there are.

Also, thank you for your service.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:52 pm

mikeseltz wrote:
From what I've been told by federal recruiters, as long as I meet the qualifications of the position, my veterans preference trumps all else except someone with more veterans preference. My understanding is that any exceptions are illegal.

Veterans preference doesn't apply to positions above GS-12, SES, or the judicial and legislative branches.
Fed attorney jobs are excepted service positions and are not required to automatically hire veterans over non-veterans. While it will provide a boost, this will be trumped by the competitive nature of federal government hiring right now and the low job prospects of a Belmont degree. With a degree from Belmont, you are not getting hired as a federal government attorney over a kid from say, Vandy, with no veteran's preference.

Even if your scenario was true 1) there are a ton of veterans at much higher ranked law schools who want these jobs, 2) they can set position "qualifications" at anything they like, including "excellent academic record" which allows them to use grades/law school as factors.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
LA FLAMA BLANCA
The white flame?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:The white flame?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I love threads like this. "Assume a bunch of things that aren't true. I am not open to evidence refuting my assumptions. Is this a good plan?"

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:04 pm

mikeseltz wrote:
It theory, yes. In practice, lol.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 pm

IAFG wrote:I love threads like this. "Assume a bunch of things that aren't true. I am not open to evidence refuting my assumptions. Is this a good plan?"
Assuming I become a GC to a F500 corporation or a Wachtell partner, is law school a good idea?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:I love threads like this. "Assume a bunch of things that aren't true. I am not open to evidence refuting my assumptions. Is this a good plan?"
Assuming I become a GC to a F500 corporation or a Wachtell partner, is law school a good idea?
Well, is it?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:
F50 or go home.

mikeseltz

New

Post by mikeseltz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 am

timbs4339 wrote:
mikeseltz wrote:

Fed attorney jobs are excepted service positions and are not required to automatically hire veterans over non-veterans. While it will provide a boost, this will be trumped by the competitive nature of federal government hiring right now and the low job prospects of a Belmont degree. With a degree from Belmont, you are not getting hired as a federal government attorney over a kid from say, Vandy, with no veteran's preference.

Even if your scenario was true 1) there are a ton of veterans at much higher ranked law schools who want these jobs, 2) they can set position "qualifications" at anything they like, including "excellent academic record" which allows them to use grades/law school as factors.
It's true that federal attorney jobs are excepted service and are therefore hard to come by for anyone. However, there are a lot of legal jobs in the federal government that start at $60-$75k and are in the competitive service, where veterans preference does apply such as contracting officer, paralegal, policy/program analyst and many others where legal skills are considered very useful but the position itself is only tangentially related to law. Again, I emphasize my goal isn't to be a federal attorney, just to make the same amount of money I'm making now, stay in one place, have a cool side job in music business, put in my 40 and call it good.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 am

mikeseltz wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
mikeseltz wrote:

It's true that federal attorney jobs are excepted service and are therefore hard to come by for anyone. However, there are a lot of legal jobs in the federal government that start at $60-$75k and are in the competitive service, where veterans preference does apply such as contracting officer, paralegal, policy/program analyst and many others where legal skills are considered very useful but the position itself is only tangentially related to law. Again, I emphasize my goal isn't to be a federal attorney, just to make the same amount of money I'm making now, stay in one place, have a cool side job in music business, put in my 40 and call it good.
Again, the veterans preference does shit for you. It's great lip service, but little else. And you don't want just the lips, man. You want the whole mouth, knowhatimsayin?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”