overall law school or best program

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

PIck a school- Remember Tax Law

Columbia
13
57%
Chicago
2
9%
NYU
8
35%
 
Total votes: 23

jjyammer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

overall law school or best program

Postby jjyammer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:10 pm

If i am accepted to Columbia, Chicago and NYU and i am almost positive that i want to do tax law but i might not sure because i have never taken a tax law class or know much about tax law; do you choose Columbia or Chicago because nationally they are more portable schools or do i take my chances with NYU? please give an explanation even if you answer the poll.

User avatar
Band A Long
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Where are you from? Where do you want to work? Have you visited any of the campuses? I presume they're all at sticker, right?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby flem » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 pm

jjyammer wrote:i am almost positive that i want to do tax law but i might not sure because i have never taken a tax law class or know much about tax law


Well, it certainly sounds like you've thought this through.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby RedBirds2011 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Why tax law OP?

jjyammer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby jjyammer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:Why tax law OP?


Math major history minor? tax -math, law-history. even if this does not make sense still going to law school

jjyammer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby jjyammer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Band A Long wrote:Where are you from? Where do you want to work? Have you visited any of the campuses? I presume they're all at sticker, right?


I am from NY want to work in Los angeles. have not visited the campuses and yes they are all sticker.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby sunynp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

jjyammer wrote:
Band A Long wrote:Where are you from? Where do you want to work? Have you visited any of the campuses? I presume they're all at sticker, right?


I am from NY want to work in Los angeles. have not visited the campuses and yes they are all sticker.


You need to at least visit Columbia and NYU as you can do both in a day. I'm partial to Columbia. You might have to plan on working in NYC for a few years before you move to California.

User avatar
Band A Long
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm

jjyammer wrote:Math major history minor? tax -math, law-history. even if this does not make sense still going to law school

Even as a 0L I am fairly sure that the law-history relationship is a lot more tenuous than you may believe. Have you taken any accounting classes in your undergrad?

As for the other stuff, if you're already in NY, you could probably sneak in a visit without a whole lot of trouble. That's a big nut of debt, might as well be happy where you end up.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Wait until you are actually accepted to Columbia, Chicago & NYU.

With respect to tax law: The LLM in Taxation degree programs at NYU, Florida & Georgetown are outstanding. Basic tax courses at Chicago & Columbia, as well as at NYU, should be rigorous & offer a solid foundation for one wishing to specialize in tax law.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Obvious flame is obvious.

jjyammer
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: overall law school or best program

Postby jjyammer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 pm

sunynp wrote:
jjyammer wrote:
Band A Long wrote:Where are you from? Where do you want to work? Have you visited any of the campuses? I presume they're all at sticker, right?


I am from NY want to work in Los angeles. have not visited the campuses and yes they are all sticker.


You need to at least visit Columbia and NYU as you can do both in a day. I'm partial to Columbia. You might have to plan on working in NYC for a few years before you move to California.


you really think that i would have to work in NY?!?!?! that makes me reconsider UCLA's tax law program. if NYU tax law program is #1 and there law school is #6 you dont think i would get hired out of law school in Los angeles?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests