Retake question- What's the break point? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What is the break point for holding and re-applying

7%
13%
2%
13%
22%
42%

Total votes: 45

darkgrayclouds

New

Re: Retake question- What's the break point?

Post by darkgrayclouds » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm

This thread also makes me wonder how much stock to put into the idea that schools average out your LSAT scores. If you score, say, a 163, and then a 171, are there any schools in the T-14 that will steadfastly split the difference and view you as having a 167?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 am

darkgrayclouds wrote:This thread also makes me wonder how much stock to put into the idea that schools average out your LSAT scores. If you score, say, a 163, and then a 171, are there any schools in the T-14 that will steadfastly split the difference and view you as having a 167?
Outside of HYS there's pretty much no evidence of that considering the reporting rules. Check out LSN for support.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 am

tfleming09 wrote:
darkgrayclouds wrote:This thread also makes me wonder how much stock to put into the idea that schools average out your LSAT scores. If you score, say, a 163, and then a 171, are there any schools in the T-14 that will steadfastly split the difference and view you as having a 167?
Outside of Including HYS there's pretty much no evidence of that considering the reporting rules. Check out LSN for support.
FTFY

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

Samara wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
Outside of Including HYS there's pretty much no evidence of that considering the reporting rules. Check out LSN for support.
FTFY
Yeah I've been sifting my way through the lsn applicants for all of the T14s. The data seems to point to 164 as a decent bet for at least getting into one of them with ea.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Devil's advocate on T14 or bust (which is rare, because I'm usually gung-ho about T14 at all costs.)

If you want to work in northern CA, AND you get a full scholarship, go to Davis. Davis' employment prospects are by no means grand, but very low out-of-pocket/debt is understandably really appealing. So negotiate with Davis. Tell them you'll need an extra 5k a year (assuming you're already in-state), and you'll go, otherwise, you'll probably sit out this cycle.

I feel like full/close ride at Davis > sticker at UVA > not-full/close ride at Davis. It's solidly a T1 school, and it doesn't get much traction on TLS because they're generally pretty stingy with scholarship money.

On the other hand, if you way over-perform for what you're thinking (168) or so, then even a full ride at Davis doesn't beat money at T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Devil's advocate on T14 or bust (which is rare, because I'm usually gung-ho about T14 at all costs.)

If you want to work in northern CA, AND you get a full scholarship, go to Davis. Davis' employment prospects are by no means grand, but very low out-of-pocket/debt is understandably really appealing. So negotiate with Davis. Tell them you'll need an extra 5k a year (assuming you're already in-state), and you'll go, otherwise, you'll probably sit out this cycle.

I feel like full/close ride at Davis > sticker at UVA > not-full/close ride at Davis. It's solidly a T1 school, and it doesn't get much traction on TLS because they're generally pretty stingy with scholarship money.

On the other hand, if you way over-perform for what you're thinking (168) or so, then even a full ride at Davis doesn't beat money at T14.
While location and regional strength is obviously important, I really do want to have a shot at BigLaw. Davis can't really make that happen.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:26 am

Nammertat wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Devil's advocate on T14 or bust (which is rare, because I'm usually gung-ho about T14 at all costs.)

While location and regional strength is obviously important, I really do want to have a shot at BigLaw. Davis can't really make that happen.
Interesting and informative thread.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated. Now I'm just hoping I dont lose my mind before results come back!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm

June test did NOT go well sadly. Stuck with my 1st score, and will be attending Davis next month. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Good luck Nammertat!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”