Am I making the right decision? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Btd123

New

Am I making the right decision?

Post by Btd123 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

Hello all, thanks in advance for the advice. I'm new to the forum so bear with me if I say something stupid.

I put down a deposit at Boston College after receiving 25k/year merit aid with a 2.0 stipulation. My long term goal is to work in either the tri-state area or New England and I feel as though Boston College gives me a good opportunity to break into both these legal markets. Though I do want to have the option of Big Law available, I am not 100% committed and would not mind a Mid Law position.

Now for the most important factor (from what I have read so far), debt. I was lucky enough to get some scholarship at my in-state undergraduate institution. My parents saved money anticipating me going to a private undergraduate school and I have funds available to pay the remainder of my BC tuition, leaving me responsible for living expenses.

Will BC (where I intend to bust my butt knowing everyone will be doing the same) fulfill my career aspirations? If I get into Georgetown (currently on the wait list), would it make more sense to attend there?

Thanks again for the help and I look forward to the responses.

abc12345675

Bronze

Re: Am I making the right decision?

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

Well, if you want the Tri-State Area then GULC is much better than Boston. If you want Boston, I'm not sure that the 25k at BC isn't a better option.

Bottom line, want to work in NYC then GULC. Boston? BC with the scholarship

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

IMO, BC with 75k is a good move for your situation.

Have you looked at the Class of 2010 numbers yet?
LST on BC wrote:9.8% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs. 0.4% were in long-term, school-funded jobs (i.e. the job had a fixed duration of at least one year or the job had no definite duration).
78.9% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
78.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
86.4% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
57.7% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
At least 16.4% of this school's graduates made $160,000 or more.
--LinkRemoved--
LST on GULC wrote:11.3% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs. 1.1% were in long-term, school-funded jobs (i.e. the job had a fixed duration of at least one year or the job had no definite duration).
67.7% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
82.2% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
92.3% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
40% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
At least 30% of this school's graduates made $160,000 or more.
--LinkRemoved--

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Well, if you want the Tri-State Area then GULC is much better than Boston. If you want Boston, I'm not sure that the 25k at BC isn't a better option.

Bottom line, want to work in NYC then GULC. Boston? BC with the scholarship
I would take BC with the $$ in a heartbeat over GULC for your goals.....

Sounds like you have a realistic goal and plan....

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Btd123 wrote:Hello all, thanks in advance for the advice. I'm new to the forum so bear with me if I say something stupid.

I put down a deposit at Boston College after receiving 25k/year merit aid with a 2.0 stipulation. My long term goal is to work in either the tri-state area or New England and I feel as though Boston College gives me a good opportunity to break into both these legal markets. Though I do want to have the option of Big Law available, I am not 100% committed and would not mind a Mid Law position.

Now for the most important factor (from what I have read so far), debt. I was lucky enough to get some scholarship at my in-state undergraduate institution. My parents saved money anticipating me going to a private undergraduate school and I have funds available to pay the remainder of my BC tuition, leaving me responsible for living expenses.

Will BC (where I intend to bust my butt knowing everyone will be doing the same) fulfill my career aspirations? If I get into Georgetown (currently on the wait list), would it make more sense to attend there?

Did you get into Georgetown? What did you decide?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EnchantedJockstrap

New

Post by EnchantedJockstrap » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Btd123 wrote:Hello all, thanks in advance for the advice. I'm new to the forum so bear with me if I say something stupid.

BC is very well respected in New England and will fulfill your career aspirations for practice in that particular region. However, I have no idea about the try-state region. I imagine it is still very well respected, but GULC might open more doors.

I would say to choose BC because New England is awesome! Either way this is a nice dilemma to have and either choice will give you a great education.

Btd123

New

Post by Btd123 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote: Did you get into Georgetown? What did you decide?
Still haven't heard from Georgetown unfortunately. If I don't hear from them by the end of the month I will probably withdraw. I am leaning towards BC anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”