Loyola, Pepperdine or chapman, la verne, western, whittier

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

T2 Sticker or T4 scholarship

Loyola (sticker)
38%
Pepperdine (sticker)
38%
La Verne (full ride)
13%
Western State/Whittier (75%)
4%
Chapman (if with partial scholarship)
7%

Total votes: 45

flem

Re: Loyola, Pepperdine or chapman, la verne, western, whittier

Postby flem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 am

fisheye wrote:Thank you all for the input, I had great doubt about going in any of the schools too. I'll probably retake so there won't be any regret. I guess it's now the time to explore the Prep forums...

Again, appreciate you guys/gals for taking so much time responding!

Good luck. Feel free to join the October study group thread.

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 am

It's nice to see someone with these abysmal options actually take the advice given to them and not throw their life away. That result seems exceedingly rare.

soxandthecity

Postby soxandthecity » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 am

/
Last edited by soxandthecity on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Some of you seem to have a lot to say about California law schools. I'm currently looking at Pepperdine and Loyola as well, but what can you guys tell me about UC Davis? Is it worth attending? Is it possible my chances at employment may be better graduating from there? If i want to work in SoCal?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:28 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:Some of you seem to have a lot to say about California law schools. I'm currently looking at Pepperdine and Loyola as well, but what can you guys tell me about UC Davis? Is it worth attending? Is it possible my chances at employment may be better graduating from there? If i want to work in SoCal?

Like most schools in Cali, depends on the cost. Decent option if super cheap? Sure. Decent option for a quarter mil? Nope.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm

soxandthecity wrote:Does Pepperdine do better, the same, or worse than Loyola so far as job placement?

They have the same crappy-ass job placement.

GueritaPeloChino wrote:Some of you seem to have a lot to say about California law schools. I'm currently looking at Pepperdine and Loyola as well, but what can you guys tell me about UC Davis? Is it worth attending? Is it possible my chances at employment may be better graduating from there? If i want to work in SoCal?

None of those schools are worth attending. Want to work in SoCal? Tell that to the Standford, Berkeley, UCLA, *and* USC grads ahead of you in the interview line. They will laugh their asses off.

WAKE UP, PEOPLE.

ArtyIvy

Postby ArtyIvy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm

I, too, got the full ride at La Verne, thinking I could transfer. Now it looks like, not so much. But the thing that shocked me most was from the thread about job placement, La Verne's is 42% and Hastings is 49%. Shocking, considering they're 150+ spots higher. Hastings was originally my first choice because of LEOP. I think I may have an undiagnosed learning disability, but, since I'm an adult, I'd have to pay for testing and can't afford it.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I can't relocate. I could barely afford to apply, even with the fee waiver. I got rejected by 10 schools the first time I applied and 5 this round. I'm in my 40s and the delay in attending law school and long term unemployment already means I won't get to have a child. It's hard to give up this dream, it's the last one I haven't lost. Going back to school has destroyed my credit, so I can only borrow Staffords. I can only attend with a near-full scholarship. If I could afford a prep class, I could probably gain 5 more points on the LSAT and that might mean I could get into a lower T1 or T2. Maybe and one more year of my life not moving forward. My LSDAS GPA is based only on my undergraduate work 20 years ago, when I was being beaten regularly (not my choice...didn't get into college and very hard to get out when you are being controlled and threatened with guns, took 3 years to squirrel away money from part time work while in community college to transfer to a 4 year school). My GPA at the Ivy League university I graduated from was barely a 3.0, because I didn't have money for silly things like rent and food (I definitely couldn't afford the Ritalin always offered in the library). My grad school GPA is 3.6 or so, because I had Stafford eligibility and could afford living expenses and had time left over to work PT.

It disgusts me when people assume from their numbers that the person doesn't belong in law school. Some people have poor grades for reasons that have nothing to do with their IQ. My friend who got into American had a lower LSAT than me (unsure of her GPA), so even good students don't always get a 160. It's quite possible OP doesn't want a BigLaw job, but just wants to be able to sit for the bar, so he can do bankruptcies or join a family or local practice. Personally, I want to go into gov't or non-profit.

Quite to to the contrary of the common assumption (and admissions), it's often the kids with 4.0s and high LSATs have no business being attorneys. When they start working, often for the first time in their lives, they have no idea how to work with others or how to work at all. That's the reason there are too many lawyers -- people who just want the BigLaw salary, but don't know what they want to be when they grow up.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Are you sure you can't get gradplus loans? Does your bad credit include defaulted student loans? Because that's the only thing ive ever heard of keeping people from getting gradplus.

You have a moving story but I don't understand why you can't retake? You don't need an expensive prep course to retake and improve. Also if being a lawyer was such a dream why did you waste time and money going to grad school?

fisheye

Postby fisheye » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to retake. I did take the Oct test and bumped my score 10pt...I was worried there wouldn't be enough time, but hey, as it turns out, LSAT is a learned test and you can improve the scores by practicing! Time to redo the personal statement now!

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm

fisheye wrote:Just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to retake. I did take the Oct test and bumped my score 10pt...I was worried there wouldn't be enough time, but hey, as it turns out, LSAT is a learned test and you can improve the scores by practicing!

8) Well done. Congrats on your score.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm

fisheye wrote:Just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to retake. I did take the Oct test and bumped my score 10pt...I was worried there wouldn't be enough time, but hey, as it turns out, LSAT is a learned test and you can improve the scores by practicing! Time to redo the personal statement now!

Congrats! That's seriously awesome news

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:38 am

Happy for you :mrgreen:

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 am

Thats fantastic to hear. Congrats!

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

fisheye wrote:Thank you all for the input, I had great doubt about going in any of the schools too. I'll probably retake so there won't be any regret. I guess it's now the time to explore the Prep forums...

Again, appreciate you guys/gals for taking so much time responding!

Also Fish, fwiw, I applied last cycle with a low 160 + 3.6ish GPA and got 69k offer from LMU, so even a few points up could drastically change your options. Good luck!

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:55 pm

fisheye wrote:Just want to thank everyone who encouraged me to retake. I did take the Oct test and bumped my score 10pt...I was worried there wouldn't be enough time, but hey, as it turns out, LSAT is a learned test and you can improve the scores by practicing! Time to redo the personal statement now!

Congratulations that's amazing. Hope you have a good cycle. Anctedotedly I had a 5 pt higher lsat score than a family member, and was offered close to a full ride at a T2 while she was offered sticker. That was only a 5 pt difference, not your amazing 10 increase. With your numbers you should be able to get big money from alot of T2's which I personally would take over sticker at lower level T1 FWIW.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you guys for the advice, I've been struggling to make the right decision. Just wish I had found this forum sooner...
My stats are not good: design major with 3.55 GPA, 155 LSAT.

Please add one additional choice to your poll: "none of the above"

Yes, the Prep forum is where you need to be.

Good luck.

edited to add:
Yikes; CR fail. How about a belated congrats in the score.? (Back to the Prep forum for me.)
Last edited by Big Dog on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Thank you guys for the advice, I've been struggling to make the right decision. Just wish I had found this forum sooner...
My stats are not good: design major with 3.55 GPA, 155 LSAT.

Please add one additional choice to your poll: "none of the above"

Yes, the Prep forum is where you need to be.

Good luck.

someone missed the memo :wink:

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Lol. Thats why you read the thread before posting

fisheye

Postby fisheye » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:00 am

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!

Oh dproduct and arhmcpo, thanks for letting me know the offer from law school, that'll definitely help me make the decision when choosing schools.

For those who can't decide whether to retake, I'd suggest you do it because deep down, you know you still have choices and you can do better!

I just posted the draft for my PS, please feel free to drop by and give me some critique, the brutal the better! Thank you all again for giving me the kick when I needed it!
[url]deleted[/url]
Last edited by fisheye on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 am

<3 this thread

I know you said you don't want biglaw, but just to put things in perspective, you actually have an outside chance (~20%) at USC now. A 10 point difference is huge.

Eva_Bates

Postby Eva_Bates » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:16 am

Major congrats on the points increase. The reality is that 10 points, or even 5 points, can make a significant difference in the school you end up, how much you end up paying, etc.

(Although I truly disagree with the other posters about Loyola and Pepperdine if you are from and planning to stay in LA: they both have a good reputation there).

And since a TLSer helped me today, I am hopping over to your PS link and will duly give you a harsh *critique*. :)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I hate to be "that guy" but why not one more retake? Per TLS's advice I took the stupid test three times, the first retake was enough to get me into some great schools but I knew I could do better so I bit the bullet and retook a second time and grabbed a few more precious points and now I'm looking at good money from at least one of my top targets. The 10 point jump is great but 2 or 3 more points should make you a lock at USC...

Either way, congrats and nice job!

fisheye

Postby fisheye » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Crowing wrote:I know you said you don't want biglaw, but just to put things in perspective, you actually have an outside chance (~20%) at USC now

Really? That's really comforting to know... :wink:

Crowing wrote:And since a TLSer helped me today, I am hopping over to your PS link and will duly give you a harsh *critique*. :)

Thank you for taking the time to wirte me the review Eva, that was very helpful!!

BigZuck wrote:I knew I could do better so I bit the bullet and retook a second time and grabbed a few more precious points and now I'm looking at good money from at least one of my top targets. The 10 point jump is great but 2 or 3 more points should make you a lock at USC...

Wow Zuck I admire your perseverance! I would definitely do it again if my first retake was in June...But since I haven't been studying since the Oct test and I'm trying to get all the application in by the end of this month, I think it's safer to focus on the paperwork...I totally understand what you're saying though. :)

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 pm

This thread left me feeling inspired.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”