Pepperdine a Good School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ANoor

Pepperdine a Good School?

Postby ANoor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 am

Is Pepperdine a good school to go to? Im a CA resident and wouldn't mind staying in CA. Considering entertainment law.

I'm on the waitlist and just sent a LOCI.

Thoughts?

GPA 3.3 LSAT 155 URM (Mexican) 31yrs, Male.

kwais

Re: Pepperdine a Good School?

Postby kwais » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 am

Probably not good for entertainment law. And in general, probably not a great school. However, if the criteria is beautiful campus, it is an excellent school

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 am

If you're on the waitlist, you won't get a scholarship most likely. And without a scholarship Pepperdine is not worth it. That's a ton of debt.

Your GPA is not bad and you're an URM. Have you tried retaking? 5-8 more points could get you some money somewhere.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 am

Do not pay sticker price for Pepperdine.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:46 am

ANoor wrote:Is Pepperdine a good school to go to? Im a CA resident and wouldn't mind staying in CA. Considering entertainment law.

Thoughts?

No, Pepperdine is not a good school to be blunt, at any price if you ask me. And it seems like a popular choice around here too which is pretty heartbreaking. How, as a Pepperdine grad, do you expect to compete with Berkeley, Stanford, USC *AND* UCLA grads for California jobs?? Yes, the Berkeley and Stanford kids go everywhere, but even still. Not all of them do. If you can't break a 165 on the LSAT you have no business in today's law schools. It's top 14 or bust, friend. Consider other options. There has to be something else you can do besides study law. You go to Pepperdine you will have nothing but 150k++ in crippling, life ruining debt and no job prospects. Meanwhile, Pepperdine "professors" make that much in a year. And they count on people like you to help keep them rich. How can they even face their students every day or sleep at night? At some point this madness has to stop... right?

sequins

Postby sequins » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Well I know one person with SA with Baker Mckenzie - Like top 1% though...

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 pm

locthebloke wrote:
ANoor wrote:Is Pepperdine a good school to go to? Im a CA resident and wouldn't mind staying in CA. Considering entertainment law.

Thoughts?

If you can't break a 165 on the LSAT you have no business in today's law schools. It's top 14 or bust, friend. Consider other options. ?

1. OP, do not pay sticker at Pep. Not worth it

2. OP, entertainment law is a running joke. You will not break into the field from Pep.

3. OP, retake in October

4. Loc, GTFO with that. Attending a strong regional school for a reasonable price in the area one wishes to practice is fine.

SnapSnapSnap

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Gonna have to agree with the naysayers. Pepperdine is definitely not a "bad" school in its own right, but in context it's not a good bet. In Los Angeles alone (I'm making the leap that you want to be in LA-area because you want entertainment law), you have UCLA, USC, Loyola, and to a smaller extent USD, Davis, UCI, etc. Plus, don't forget about the 40+ schools that are accredited by the state. You can definitely argue that those schools are not taken seriously by many firms/companies, but they contribute enormously to the oversaturation of new lawyers looking for work in CA, and also to the driving down of salaries for those lawyers--and you know LA isn't cheap. Honestly I wouldn't consider any CA schools except Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and USC.

In a less saturated market, a low-T1/top-T2 isn't a bad idea if you know the risks and can keep your debt manageable, but in SoCal, I have to say pass. :(

Return to “Choosing a Law School”