Where do you draw the line?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bantkiewicz

Where do you draw the line?

Postby bantkiewicz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Okay, my question probably has a simple answer, but it's difficult to word it so bear with me. If for example I wanted to practice law in Tennessee, specifically Nashville (since that's where I'm from), and I did not get into Vanderbilt, what would my best options be? Assuming I got into the following schools, would it be better to go to a place such as a 24/34 ranked Emory or UGA, or a 69 ranked in-state UTK? In other words, I know you should "go to the best law school in the area you want to practice," but where do you draw the line between where ranking matters vs where a school is located?

fatduck

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:43 pm

bantkiewicz wrote:Okay, my question probably has a simple answer, but it's difficult to word it so bear with me. If for example I wanted to practice law in Tennessee, specifically Nashville (since that's where I'm from), and I did not get into Vanderbilt, what would my best options be? Assuming I got into the following schools, would it be better to go to a place such as a 24/34 ranked Emory or UGA, or a 69 ranked in-state UTK? In other words, I know you should "go to the best law school in the area you want to practice," but where do you draw the line between where ranking matters vs where a school is located?

it does have a simple answer; you retake the LSAT until you get into vandy

bantkiewicz

Postby bantkiewicz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Eh. I guess my other option would be just kicking ass at one of the above listed schools and trying to transfer. In that case I'm definitely assuming you just want to go with the highest ranked school you get into. Can anyone confirm?

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Do you have strong Tennessee ties? If so, then I believe you could get Nashville from Emory. You just explain you went to the best law school you could, with the idea all along of coming home. I don't believe you'd have a problem, again assuming you have strong Tennessee ties. If not, then you need to go to UTK if you want to practice in Tennessee.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 am

bantkiewicz wrote:Eh. I guess my other option would be just kicking ass at one of the above listed schools and trying to transfer. In that case I'm definitely assuming you just want to go with the highest ranked school you get into. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that you will not likely be in a position to transer to Vandy from UTK, Emory, or Georgia. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:11 am

Emory, but you retake and go to Vandy.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 am

Post your lsat/gpa and the costs for each school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”