Questions for Loyola Los Angeles (LMU) JD/MBAs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
radar714

Questions for Loyola Los Angeles (LMU) JD/MBAs

Postby radar714 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 pm

After deciding to give this past cycle a whirl with a disappointing LSAT score (162), I was accepted to only one school: Loyola Law. Loyola was the regional school I had considered (from LA and hope to practice there) and a few weeks after receiving their offer they sent me a very sizeable followup scholarship offer (~75% discount)

Coming into the application process I was very interested in getting a JD/MBA. I graduated with a BA in one of the humanities and have hopes of one day segueing into Business after practicing for a few years, eventually hoping to start my own business. I'm interested in the MBA because I have zero formal business education, incl no knowledge of finance, accounting, operations management, etc.

Now that I have the option of attending Loyola at this discount, I'm wondering if any Loyola JD/MBAs could shed some light on the MBA program at Loyola. I know that it is unranked USNWR, and I know that its admissions statistics are not very high. But I don't want to make a snap judgement on it as I know that in spite of not being ranked very highly, Loyola Law for instance has a strong alumni presence in Los Angeles and that several big law firms do indeed recruit from them. What I'm wondering is if businesses in LA (in fields such as finance, PE, consulting, etc) regard an MBA from Loyola in a similar light.

Questions:
1. Did you have any WE? If so, for how long and in what field?
2. How would you compare your classmates at the MBA program to those at the JD program?
3. Do you feel that there is any disparity between the quality of education you are receiving from Loyola Law and Loyola MBA?
4. What are your professional aspirations with a JD/MBA from Loyola?
5. How did your admissions stats compare with the averages at the MBA school (avg GPA 3.3 avg gmat 610)
6. How difficult has it been to create a balanced schedule that allows you to take classes at the MBA school on the main campus in Playa Del Rey and the Law school in downtown?

Thanks in advance!

locthebloke

Re: Questions for Loyola Los Angeles (LMU) JD/MBAs

Postby locthebloke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote="radar714"]After deciding to give this past cycle a whirl with a disappointing LSAT score (162), I was accepted to only one school: Loyola Law. Loyola was the regional school I had considered (from LA and hope to practice there) and a few weeks after receiving their offer they sent me a very sizeable followup scholarship offer (~75% discount)
[quote]

Don't go to Loyola, even on the scholarship... It can be lost, and it's not a complete scholarship anyway. You will still leave Loyola tens of thousands of dollars in debt and have little in the way of job prospects. You want to practice in LA? How do you expect to compete with Berkeley, Standford, UCLA and USC grads for these jobs? Maybe if you're top 10% of your class and kill your interviews? If you got a 162, you should be capable of eeking it up to a 165+ Go for a better school. Top 14, or top 30ish with substantial aid. Other than that, forget about it.

MikeTZ

Postby MikeTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:10 pm

If you can increase your score by 2-5 pts you can get into a top 15 school. and yes scholarships are usually for the first yr, then u gotta maintain it. If ur logical games score was poor, thats one area you can improve on vastly... and its usually the case for law school applicants. If thats the case try visiting SPAM , if not, keep practicing, but they do say you dont improve much by waiting. gluck

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 pm

MikeTZ wrote:If you can increase your score by 2-5 pts you can get into a top 15 school. and yes scholarships are usually for the first yr, then u gotta maintain it. If ur logical games score was poor, thats one area you can improve on vastly... and its usually the case for law school applicants. If thats the case try visiting SPAM , if not, keep practicing, but they do say you dont improve much by waiting. gluck

somehow under the impression you are affiliated with this prep site...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p5736300

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

MikeTZ wrote:If you can increase your score by 2-5 pts you can get into a top 15 school.

EGREGIOUS UT TROLLING

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 pm

radar714 wrote:After deciding to give this past cycle a whirl with a disappointing LSAT score (162), I was accepted to only one school: Loyola Law.

Where else did you apply? Stanford and Berkley?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”