Unsure where to apply.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cdeezz0101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Unsure where to apply.

Postby Cdeezz0101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 am

GPA:3.41
LSAT:149
Major: Computer Engineering
Graduation: Dec 2012
Personal Statement: been reviewed by many and received positive feedback.
LORs: Manager from internship, head of computer science department.

Activities:
-4 Years Work Exp within undergrad; 3 years work xp prior to undergrad; total of 7 years work xp.
2 Years of paid systems engineering internship at Fortune 500 company, led to lucrative job offer.
5 Years of part time sales job
-1 Year of being President of fraternity (won chapter of the year during my term)
-1 Year Treasurer of fraternity
-1 Year Judicial board fraternity
-3x Deans List
-2x Presidents List
-Over 100 hours of community service during undergrad.


So my question is where to apply? I realize my LSAT score is very low. Unfortunately I did not have time to study beyond taking a few practice tests due to obligations to family and work. I do not plan on retaking the test due to monetary constraints. My plan is to attend a lower ranked law school with the intention of transferring. From New England so prefer to stay local; but open to all suggestions.

Preferences:
-Larger schools
-Job placement high
-active student life (no commuter schools)
-school with d1 sport teams wouldn't hurt either.
Last edited by Cdeezz0101 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby kwais » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 am

Dude, get real. Retaking the LSAT does not impose monetary constraints. Do you know what does? Going into debt at a 3rd/4th tier school and graduating without a job. Everything else on your resume seems to imply that you can do better than this.
Also, you will not transfer. If you cannot have the patience and dedication to retake the LSAT, why do you think you'll have it when competing against a few hundred other people who want to transfer as bad as you do?
Just retake man, don't be stubborn

Cdeezz0101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Cdeezz0101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 am

Appreciate the honest reply. However, dropping a few hundred dollars on retaking a test just wont be in the cards this Fall. Furthermore, if i cant find a job with a JD from a lower tier law school i have a BS in engineering to fall back on (not too shabby of a backup plan).


Just looking for a potential list of schools that may accept me; sticker or even with scholarship money. I realize retaking the LSAT would be in my best interest.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:However, dropping a few hundred dollars on retaking a test just wont be in the cards this Fall.


I don't understand how you can have a "lucrative job offer" and yet struggle to pay a couple hundred dollars for a retake.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:36 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:Appreciate the honest reply. However, dropping a few hundred dollars on retaking a test just wont be in the cards this Fall. Furthermore, if i cant find a job with a JD from a lower tier law school i have a BS in engineering to fall back on (not too shabby of a backup plan).


Just looking for a potential list of schools that may accept me; sticker or even with scholarship money. I realize retaking the LSAT would be in my best interest.

The schools you could get into give you MAYBE 5-8% odds of getting a decent (not good) legal job. No one here is going to help you figure out which schools those shitholes are.

You will waste 3 years of your life, give up three years of salary, and end up six figures in debt. Retake, or be an engineer. It's that simple.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby kwais » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 am

I'm truly confused. How can you afford law school and not test prep? Anyway, your original criteria said you are looking for a school with good job placement. Please take an hour or so and do some homework (on this site and others) to see the state of legal hiring right now. Schools that accept your LSAT do not place people in jobs that can service debt. If you have a good fallback option, as you say, then pursue that while studying for the LSAT on the side. If you want it bad enough, maybe one day you hit 165+ and then you'll know that it is time to start thinking about law school. That's the adult thing to do. What you are advocating is the entitled thing to do and it will likely turn out bad.

Anyway, that is all I will say and hopefully someone else who knows New England schools can answer your real question. Good luck

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 am

New England law schools? LAWL.

Cdeezz0101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Cdeezz0101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:50 am

Appreciate all of the replies. I would not mind expanding the search, providing the school was a larger University. Considering Part Time programs as well and plan on applying Early Action.

Any serious suggestions for schools or just a bunch of trolls out tonight? o.0

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:Appreciate all of the replies. I would not mind expanding the search, providing the school was a larger University. Considering Part Time programs as well and plan on applying Early Action.

Any serious suggestions for schools or just a bunch of trolls out tonight? o.0
We're not trolling. Trolls would be blowing sunshine up your ass about attending terrible schools.

Why do you think attending a school where 5% of grads get legal jobs is a good idea? Do you think we're making these numbers up? There are roughly 45,000 new lawyers graduating from law school every year, and (generously) 30,000 new legal jobs. Think about that.

User avatar
Scotchandsoda
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:58 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:Appreciate all of the replies. I would not mind expanding the search, providing the school was a larger University. Considering Part Time programs as well and plan on applying Early Action.

Any serious suggestions for schools or just a bunch of trolls out tonight? o.0


No ones trolling. Not retaking makes no sense. You've got a solid 4 months to study for the Oct lsat. If you dont want to shell out money for a prep course, at least self study and retake, i mean, you'll still be applying to the same cycle.

If you're still set on applying, then I'm sure there is a bunch of tier 4 schools that will be happy to accept you.

Cdeezz0101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Cdeezz0101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:59 am

I understand that lower ranked schools do not have competitive job placement. As mentioned, I plan on transferring. In a worse case scenario I take an engineering job post grad until something legal related is found. With all due respect, I really just want a school list not a job report.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby kwais » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:07 am

Hey guys, can anyone give me directions to the nearest 7-11. I need to buy a MegaMillions ticket so that I can put a down payment on a new house. I have a backup, which is getting a job and paying for the house the responsible way, but I don't feel like doing that. Please, no trolls, I'm not interested in the odds of winning the lottery.

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby TyrionLannister » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:08 am

I'll try not to be condescending...

What you are planning to do is not smart.

You havent even graduated UG yet.

Here is a better plan:
1. Graduate UG.
2. Get a job. Any job.
3. Earn $160.
4. Study.
5. Retake.
6. Reapply.

Take your future seriously.

P.S. And don't tell me that you are, because it takes five minutes on this website to know that a 149 fucks you for life.

Btw, until you provide an adequate reason for not being able to afford a retake, no one here will take you seriously.

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby TyrionLannister » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:I really just want a school list not a job report.

Cdeezz0101 wrote:LSAT:149
Preferences:
-Job placement high


No school exists to meet your criteria.

Cdeezz0101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Cdeezz0101 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 am

kwais wrote:Hey guys, can anyone give me directions to the nearest 7-11. I need to buy a MegaMillions ticket so that I can put a down payment on a new house. I have a backup, which is getting a job and paying for the house the responsible way, but I don't feel like doing that. Please, no trolls, I'm not interested in the odds of winning the lottery.


Minus the lottery you just described a mortgage.
TyrionLannister wrote:I'll try not to be condescending...

What you are planning to do is not smart.

You havent even graduated UG yet.

Here is a better plan:
1. Graduate UG.
2. Get a job. Any job.
3. Earn $160.
4. Study.
5. Retake.
6. Reapply.

Take your future seriously.

P.S. And don't tell me that you are, because it takes five minutes on this website to know that a 149 fucks you for life.

Btw, until you provide an adequate reason for not being able to afford a retake, no one here will take you seriously.


As stated above, I am working at a paid internship currently. Between car payments, cell phone bills, car insurance, rent and living expenses it can be rough forking over even 160 dollars to a test I would be taking in October. October being a time where i work 25-30 hours a week with a full course load (of engineering not pussy business/poly sci credits) and extracurricular activities.

However, it appears I am hitting diminishing returns here so I will seek out another resource for advice.

Thanks anyhow.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby kwais » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 am

Good idea OP. Go find someone who will rubber stamp your awful plan

User avatar
TyrionLannister
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby TyrionLannister » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:37 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:
kwais wrote:Hey guys, can anyone give me directions to the nearest 7-11. I need to buy a MegaMillions ticket so that I can put a down payment on a new house. I have a backup, which is getting a job and paying for the house the responsible way, but I don't feel like doing that. Please, no trolls, I'm not interested in the odds of winning the lottery.


Minus the lottery you just described a mortgage.
TyrionLannister wrote:I'll try not to be condescending...

What you are planning to do is not smart.

You havent even graduated UG yet.

Here is a better plan:
1. Graduate UG.
2. Get a job. Any job.
3. Earn $160.
4. Study.
5. Retake.
6. Reapply.

Take your future seriously.

P.S. And don't tell me that you are, because it takes five minutes on this website to know that a 149 fucks you for life.

Btw, until you provide an adequate reason for not being able to afford a retake, no one here will take you seriously.


As stated above, I am working at a paid internship currently. Between car payments, cell phone bills, car insurance, rent and living expenses it can be rough forking over even 160 dollars to a test I would be taking in October. October being a time where i work 25-30 hours a week with a full course load (of engineering not pussy business/poly sci credits) and extracurricular activities.

However, it appears I am hitting diminishing returns here so I will seek out another resource for advice.

Thanks anyhow.


As I stated above, graduate first. If you are too busy to prepare properly for the most important test of your life, then the smart thing to do is wait. Graduate, work for a year, retake and reapply next cycle.

But yeah, maybe you're right. You need a new source for advice. I mean, us idiots who frequent a forum all about law schools, talking all day about legal education and the legal profession, what could we possibly know about anything?

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Paul Campos » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 am

Sigh.

I'd like to think this is a very well crafted flame but it has the feel of authenticity.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:46 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:LSAT:149
Preferences:
-Job placement high

These two do not go together.
If you do not feel you have the time to study for the October LSAT, plan on taking it in February (as you will be graduating in December)

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am

Cdeezz0101 wrote:
As stated above, I am working at a paid internship currently. Between car payments, cell phone bills, car insurance, rent and living expenses it can be rough forking over even 160 dollars to a test I would be taking in October. October being a time where i work 25-30 hours a week with a full course load (of engineering not pussy business/poly sci credits) and extracurricular activities.

However, it appears I am hitting diminishing returns here so I will seek out another resource for advice.

Thanks anyhow.


The Law School Admission Council categorizes test-takers into 162 majors. Seeing many of those as sub-disciplines of major fields, Nieswiadomy groups them into 29 categories. Of those 29, he found that the top five majors and their average test scores were:

1. Physics/math, 160.0
2. Economics, 157.4
3. Philosophy/theology, 157.4
4. International relations, 156.5
5. Engineering, 156.2

The five lowest-scoring majors were:

25. Education, 149.4
26. Business administration, 149.1
27. Health professions, 148.4
28. Prelaw, 148.3
29. Criminal justice, 146.0

There are your top and bottom scoring UG majors for the LSAT.... You are considerably below other engineers that are also not taking the courses you described above.... Frankly, that language makes it sound like a flame to me but if not......

Look, this test dictates your school.... Your school dictates your job prospects. Your job prospects dictate your future.....

I don't care if you are eating Ramen Noodles three times a day as that is all you can afford you need to cut back to 2 meals a day or apply for food stamps to save money.... Switch car insurance companies and save an average of 500 bucks (according to every ad on TV anyway.) Sell your car and rent a Moped... Take you TV and PS3 to a pawn shop.... Sell Plasma.... Show up at Home Depot and do a little day labor on your day off.....

Seriously, it is THAT important...... If you don't have money for a study course do it on your own. The local library will have all the study guides.... There are ways to do it on the cheap.

Heck, join the military for four years, they LOVE engineers.... While your softs are not bad for a KJD not a one of them will help you one bit to getting into LS; four years of service will and it pays well as an O and you will have the GI Bill that will pay for 100% of LS.....

The point being there ARE ways to pay for things that you need but there may be no way to pay off the debt you incur in a TTTT and come out without a job and then have to explain to the engineering firms why you went to LS and now changed your mind and want to be an Engineer again.... With an extra 200K of debt mind you....

There are reasons to go to a TTTT school that will take a non-URM 149.... Your employer is paying for it and you already have a guaranteed job upon graduation.. (Only one I can think of at the moment but I am sure there are more...) YOU are not in such a situation though. Retesting is a pain but WAY easier than being in the top 1% of your class which is what you will need to do in order to transfer to a good school from a TTTT.....
Last edited by JCFindley on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lock74
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby Lock74 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 am

I am not sure if this is allowed to be discussed on this board because it is essentially illegal but there are ways you can get a large amount of prep material simply from a google search and a torrent download. Also making some of the above sacrifices will allow you to buy some decent study material, at least in your worst test section. Focusing on your worst test section at this point will yield a solid increase in your score. Please delete this comment if downloading prep material from torrent is against the board rules. I am simply offering a solution because I was in the same boat when I first started prepping.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 am

Lock74 wrote:I am not sure if this is allowed to be discussed on this board because it is essentially illegal but there are ways you can get a large amount of prep material simply from a google search and a torrent download. Also making some of the above sacrifices will allow you to buy some decent study material, at least in your worst test section. Focusing on your worst test section at this point will yield a solid increase in your score. Please delete this comment if downloading prep material from torrent is against the board rules. I am simply offering a solution because I was in the same boat when I first started prepping.

Let's assume you're talking about copyright-free study aids :|

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 am

JCFindley wrote:The lowest-scoring majors were:

28. Prelaw, 148.3
29. Criminal justice, 146.0


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:18 am

PreLaw, the perfect major to prepare you for absolutely nothing including law school.....

It does sound cool though when you are hitting on the new incoming freshman of the opposite gender.....

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply.

Postby moonman157 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:29 am

Terrible LSAT, plans to transfer, not interested in honest answers regarding chances of getting a good job, illogical refusal to retake the LSAT...100% flame




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests