UC Davis vs Loyola vs. Pepperdine (15k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino

New

UC Davis vs Loyola vs. Pepperdine (15k)

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I was set on staying home in Los Angeles and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I've been reading a lot about Davis being on a whole other "level" than either Loyola or Pepperdine. I'm afraid maybe attending UC Davis is an opportunity I shouldn't dismiss. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the rankings? Are job prospects and overall quality of education worth leaving to Davis for?

abc12345675

Bronze

Re: UC Davis vs Loyola vs. Pepperdine (15k)

Post by abc12345675 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:35 pm

My impressions is that Davis doesn't place well in LA. Could be wrong, though.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:36 pm

If you want to work in NorCal, go to Davis. If you want to work in SoCal, go to Loyola or Pepperdine.

I would, however, caution you against going to any of these schools at or near sticker. The debt load is far too much relative to the job prospects.

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm a rising 2L at Davis, and the answer to this depends on what you want post-graduation. Assuming you'd like to work in LA long-term, you'll need solid grades to do it. Davis places well in NorCal, but LA is a little tougher (although I do know a few 2Ls and 3Ls with jobs there).

If social life is a consideration, you will be very happy at Davis, fwiw.

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Bronck wrote:If you want to work in NorCal, go to Davis. If you want to work in SoCal, go to Loyola or Pepperdine.

I would, however, caution you against going to any of these schools at or near sticker. The debt load is far too much relative to the job prospects.
Not even on scholarship. They are lost too easily. The OP would be competing against UCLA, USC, Berkeley and Stanford graduates for California jobs. FORGET ABOUT IT.

It's top 14 or bust, kids. Please educate yourselves. 45,000 newly minted JDs. 29,000 legal jobs. You pay 150,000 your "professors" make that or more per year. How they even sleep is beyond me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 pm

in_reverie wrote:I'm a rising 2L at Davis, and the answer to this depends on what you want post-graduation. Assuming you'd like to work in LA long-term, you'll need solid grades to do it. Davis places well in NorCal, but LA is a little tougher (although I do know a few 2Ls and 3Ls with jobs there).

If social life is a consideration, you will be very happy at Davis, fwiw.
Thanks a lot for your input!

Would you mind elaborating on social life at Davis?

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:25 pm

I've been stressed out of mind trying to decide between moving to Davis or staying put and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I had a talk with my greatgrandfather yesterday and he has committed himself to paying for my education, meaning I won't be taking out loans. And yes, I have discussed the price tag with him. His only requirement is I don't leave Los Angeles. He gave me this whole lecture on why I shouldn't focus on rankings. So Pepperdine or Loyola with no debt attached should be the best way to go, right?

Davis only offered me a 5,000 dollar scholarship, anyway </3

2012JayDee

Bronze

Post by 2012JayDee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:30 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I've been stressed out of mind trying to decide between moving to Davis or staying put and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I had a talk with my greatgrandfather yesterday and he has committed himself to paying for my education, meaning I won't be taking out loans. And yes, I have discussed the price tag with him. His only requirement is I don't leave Los Angeles. He gave me this whole lecture on why I shouldn't focus on rankings. So Pepperdine or Loyola with no debt attached should be the best way to go, right?

This sounds like a classic contracts case--LOL!
Get it in writing!

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:45 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:He gave me this whole lecture on why I shouldn't focus on rankings. So Pepperdine or Loyola with no debt attached should be the best way to go, right?
Shouldn't focus on rankings? Well, to someone who is having another completely pay for their JD, I guess rankings don't matter that much provided, cost aside, you really have nothing better or more productive to do with 3 years of your young adult life than work your ass off for a degree that will provide you with little leverage in finding meaningful legal work and will close doors on employment opportunities not related to the legal field.

My point is that just because your legal education will be completely free, doesn't mean a legal education is still worth pursuing. And I would say a legal education at either of those schools isn't worth pursuing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:59 pm

locthebloke wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:He gave me this whole lecture on why I shouldn't focus on rankings. So Pepperdine or Loyola with no debt attached should be the best way to go, right?
Shouldn't focus on rankings? Well, to someone who is having another completely pay for their JD, I guess rankings don't matter that much provided, cost aside, you really have nothing better or more productive to do with 3 years of your young adult life than work your ass off for a degree that will provide you with little leverage in finding meaningful legal work and will close doors on employment opportunities not related to the legal field.

My point is that just because your legal education will be completely free, doesn't mean a legal education is still worth pursuing. And I would say a legal education at either of those schools isn't worth pursuing.
How do you define meaningful legal work?

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:00 pm

2012JayDee wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:I've been stressed out of mind trying to decide between moving to Davis or staying put and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I had a talk with my greatgrandfather yesterday and he has committed himself to paying for my education, meaning I won't be taking out loans. And yes, I have discussed the price tag with him. His only requirement is I don't leave Los Angeles. He gave me this whole lecture on why I shouldn't focus on rankings. So Pepperdine or Loyola with no debt attached should be the best way to go, right?

This sounds like a classic contracts case--LOL!
Get it in writing!
lol. There's no need, though. I know he means it. First of all, he's a man of his word. Second, he will do whatever it takes so I don't leave home.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

As a female Mexican/American from a disadvantaged background with a 166 LSAT, you can do better despite your low GPA. Ask for scholarship money from Loyola & ask for more money from Pepperdine or withdraw & reapply.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:As a female Mexican/American from a disadvantaged background with a 166 LSAT, you can do better despite your low GPA. Ask for scholarship money from Loyola & ask for more money from Pepperdine or withdraw & reapply.
Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear from Loyola. So far, all they've told me is that as students make their final law school choice, they may have money to offer me. I don't see how I could possibly negotiate more money with Pepperdine as I feel I don't have much leverage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soxandthecity

New

Post by soxandthecity » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:34 am

/
Last edited by soxandthecity on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

soxandthecity wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:I was set on staying home in Los Angeles and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I've been reading a lot about Davis being on a whole other "level" than either Loyola or Pepperdine. I'm afraid maybe attending UC Davis is an opportunity I shouldn't dismiss. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the rankings? Are job prospects and overall quality of education worth leaving to Davis for?
I'm a student at Loyola, and I would vote for UC Davis. Your job prospects from there for LA can't be that much worse than they would be at Loyola or Pepperdine. You need good grades anywhere, but UC Davis will give you the most opportunity. Your gut is right -- don't dismiss it.
Thanks for your input. I just couldn't bear the thought of paying close to sticker at UC Davis + moving and having to pay for housing, as well. Whatever advantage I could have gained by attending, I wasn't able to arrive at a cost-benefit analysis deeming it worth it.

soxandthecity

New

Post by soxandthecity » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:49 pm

/
Last edited by soxandthecity on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm

soxandthecity wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:
soxandthecity wrote:
GueritaPeloChino wrote:I was set on staying home in Los Angeles and attending either Pepperdine or Loyola. I've been reading a lot about Davis being on a whole other "level" than either Loyola or Pepperdine. I'm afraid maybe attending UC Davis is an opportunity I shouldn't dismiss. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the rankings? Are job prospects and overall quality of education worth leaving to Davis for?
I'm a student at Loyola, and I would vote for UC Davis. Your job prospects from there for LA can't be that much worse than they would be at Loyola or Pepperdine. You need good grades anywhere, but UC Davis will give you the most opportunity. Your gut is right -- don't dismiss it.
Thanks for your input. I just couldn't bear the thought of paying close to sticker at UC Davis + moving and having to pay for housing, as well. Whatever advantage I could have gained by attending, I wasn't able to arrive at a cost-benefit analysis deeming it worth it.
Are you going to/did you choose Loyola?
My second seat deposit for Davis was due on Friday and I didn't pay it so pretty much I have given up my spot. I am now choosing between either Loyola or Pepperdine. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola about a scholarship offer. *fingers crossed*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I don't understand why Loyola hasn't offered me any scholarship money, yet and I've got UC Davis trying to offer me more money =/ I've got 10k from them so far and they have made it clear they are willing to negotiate a bigger sum.

Advice, anyone?

commiandrei

New

Post by commiandrei » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I don't understand why Loyola hasn't offered me any scholarship money, yet and I've got UC Davis trying to offer me more money =/ I've got 10k from them so far and they have made it clear they are willing to negotiate a bigger sum.

Advice, anyone?
keep up the negotiate, never settle for something that you aren't satisfied with if you're to get more.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I don't understand why Loyola hasn't offered me any scholarship money, yet and I've got UC Davis trying to offer me more money =/ I've got 10k from them so far and they have made it clear they are willing to negotiate a bigger sum.

Advice, anyone?
Loyola was weird this year (speaking only from my own experience). Just keep in contact, be open and honest, and don't stop until you hit a wall two times in a row.

Dreas

Bronze

Post by Dreas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Advice, anyone?

UC Davis, hands-down.

Just try to leverage as much money as possible from Pepper and Loyola, possibly go back and forth between the two with new offers, and then once you max out negotiating with both of them, go on to use those offers to negotiate with Davis. Emphasize the fact that you have strong ties to LA and that it doesn't make much financial sense to relocate; this can help argue that you need more money from Davis for relocating + cost of living in the Bay Area.

Aside from this, you'll really appreciate living, working, and maybe even practicing, in the Bay Area. I've spent quite a few years there myself (during and post-UG), and have grown to love the Bay just as much, if not more, than the LA area. The Bay is a lot more diverse culturally, and one can definitely argue that it has a more internationally-oriented market than anywhere in SoCal, or CA in its entirety for that matter. Also, living and studying in the Bay will broaden your understanding and perception of California in general, at least that has been the case with myself and many others I know who have relocated from the LA area to the Bay, and can only add to your personal/professional character and experiences.

Food for thought, YOLO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Would not attend any unless it was cheap as hell. A measly 10k is pocket change when you're talking about this big of an investment.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Dreas wrote:YOLO.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

As of now, I don't see myself being able to relocate to Davis for law school. I live with and take care of my great-grandparents so it's a pretty tough decision to make. I tried to explain to my grandfather that UC Davis is probably my best choice, but he (they) don't want me to leave. He's pretty much told me not to worry about the money for law school, but I know he wants me to stay in L.A..

Either way, I wouldn't want him to pay full price for Loyola. I'm leaning towards Loyola because it's conveniently near home and I actually liked it when I visited. I liked Pepperdine, too, but it's 45 minutes to and from (and that's without traffic). Plus, when I mention the 3 schools to people in L.A., Loyola gets a bigger response. As in people around here are more familiar with it and this is ultimately where I'd rather end up.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:12 pm

splitbrain wrote:

Advice, anyone?
Loyola was weird this year (speaking only from my own experience). Just keep in contact, be open and honest, and don't stop until you hit a wall two times in a row.

Yeah, I think I've just hit the wall those two times in a row. =(

I emailed 2 days ago to reiterate my interest in attending and to follow up about a possible scholarship offer and they replied telling me that they've had higher-than-expected retention of applicants coming in with scholarships....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”