ASU v UNLV Decision. Please weigh in! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
law0509

New

ASU v UNLV Decision. Please weigh in!

Post by law0509 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Moving to the Southwest from out of state and very confused on which school to attend. Planning on going into criminal law as a prosecutor.
UNLV - offering 2/3rds Scholarship, renewable every year as long as I stay in good academic standing. Their rank = 76th. Really like Dean Durand, who I've been speaking with and like that he is extremely responsive. Interested in Public Interest Fellowship (available to a handful of students all three years, faculty mentorship in specific area of law plus $$). Debt from tuition = 29k for all three years

ASU - offering little over half scholarship for 1L and 2L years (assuming I get residency 2L and remain in good academic standing for 2L) but nothing for 3L. Thier rank = 26th. Hard to stay in contact with Dean Soto due to the new dean search/administrative changes, which is potentionally turning me off from the school. Interested in Truman Young prosecutorial fellowship (Available to one 3L student all-year externship in Arizona city, county, attorney general, and U.S. attorney's offices plus $$). Debt from tuition = 56k for all three years

ASU was always my top pick, but UNLV is an aggressive contender. I legitametly like both programs and criminal law faculty. Both areas would be highly populated but ASU is located in the Capitol whereas UNLV is not.
Would really appreciate others' thoughts on the situation and maybe bring up some points that I haven't considered. Thanks!

Nammertat

Silver

Re: ASU v UNLV Decision. Please weigh in!

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Part of this has to include where you want to live. Both of these schools are going to drastically limit your location. If you're good to be in Phoenix forever, then ASU is a great spot with that kind of $$. If you're okay to be stuck in Vegas and hate the idea of PHX, then UNLV is the clear choice...

Job prospects would have to be better coming out of ASU (although still not great). They pretty much own what is left of the legal market in AZ.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

I disagree about the job prospects being a factor. I'd imagine that Las Vegas DA job prospects out of UNLV are just the same, if not easier than Phoenix DA jobs out of ASU.

Go with the money, unless you hate Nevada.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm

I would go to UNLV. It's cheap and low risk. If you want something like a prosecuted or pd job I'd focus on minimizing debt.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 pm

law0509 wrote:Moving to the Southwest from out of state and very confused on which school to attend. Planning on going into criminal law as a prosecutor.
UNLV - offering 2/3rds Scholarship, renewable every year as long as I stay in good academic standing. Their rank = 76th. Really like Dean Durand, who I've been speaking with and like that he is extremely responsive. Interested in Public Interest Fellowship (available to a handful of students all three years, faculty mentorship in specific area of law plus $$). Debt from tuition = 29k for all three years

ASU - offering little over half scholarship for 1L and 2L years (assuming I get residency 2L and remain in good academic standing for 2L) but nothing for 3L. Thier rank = 26th. Hard to stay in contact with Dean Soto due to the new dean search/administrative changes, which is potentionally turning me off from the school. Interested in Truman Young prosecutorial fellowship (Available to one 3L student all-year externship in Arizona city, county, attorney general, and U.S. attorney's offices plus $$). Debt from tuition = 56k for all three years

ASU was always my top pick, but UNLV is an aggressive contender. I legitametly like both programs and criminal law faculty. Both areas would be highly populated but ASU is located in the Capitol whereas UNLV is not.
Would really appreciate others' thoughts on the situation and maybe bring up some points that I haven't considered. Thanks!
You will NEVER get instate tuition at ASU. They will lead you to believe you will until they deny you in September of your 2L year. ASU is completely dysfunctional, talk to their students and find out. UNLV makes it easy to get instate after the first year.

ASU has to be the only school in the nation that hasn't touched its waitlist and won't until July.

IMO, ASU has better faculty, I see that changing if the ASU law school doesn't increase its class size.

UNLV students get jobs. They don't pay very much, but they are law related. The entire state of Nevada only graduates 100 full-time law students a year. With that said, the economy is very depressed in Las Vegas and Reno.

Las Vegas is really the capital of Nevada. Probably more crime in Sin City than in Phoenix.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Do you want to work and live in Arizona or Nevada? The price for both of these schools is ok, so go by where you want to be and which school you feel will get you to where you want to go in that state.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Doorkeeper wrote: The price for both of these schools is ok,
Nope, he'll never get instate at ASU.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:12 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Agreed... I lived in AZ for over 3 years prior to applying and they tried to pin me for OOS...

I'm extremely jaded against ASU, but I still say it's worth considering if you don't want to be in Nevada.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Nammertat wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:
Agreed... I lived in AZ for over 3 years prior to applying and they tried to pin me for OOS...

I'm extremely jaded against ASU, but I still say it's worth considering if you don't want to be in Nevada.
Hmm.

What would be the total price differential if OP didn't get in-state?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Hmm.

What would be the total price differential if OP didn't get in-state?
Out of State ASU --> $41K/year. For three years with scholarship assuming he obtains top 1/3, first year would be $21, second year would be $21, third year $41 for a total of $83K. Assuming also that second year scholarship is in $$$ and not in percentage based on him obtaining non-existent instate residency.
Out of State UNLV --> $36K/year, $24K/ year instate. Assuming he remains in good standing. First year would be $12K, second year would be $8K, and third year would be $8K for a total of $28K.

The cost of living is also higher in Phoenix than in Sin City.

law0509

New

Post by law0509 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
That's a really good point with the debt. I calculated it assuming that I would get residency at ASU my second year. Shelli told me that approx. 60% get second year residency and 40% don't... But I guess that's not the case. (Oh and just for information: Both scholarship offers are based on maintaining academic standing, not remaining in the top of the class by any percentage)

I'm fine with working in Phoenix or Las Vegas.. Phoenix being the capital though creates an environment where there are more government jobs. Living wise, I'm more familiar with the Tempe area and have family friends that like in Mesa and Phoenix. Las Vegas I've heard is not a desirable place to settle down and, as you pointed out, has a really bad unemployment rate right now. Have any of you guys lived in the Vegas are or have opinions?

Is there anyone else deciding/have decided between the two schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”