cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

cornell
33
83%
vandy
7
18%
 
Total votes: 40

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 am

msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:I actually don't think I'd choose either school anywhere near sticker today.

Honestly, at these prices and assuming full financing by loans, not going to either is probably the best choice.

Look it's graduate school.... You have to take out hefty loans. As long as the OP does well at either school.... OP will be fine. I understand If you were wrestling between two T2 schools... It might make sense not to go to LS. TO say " oh what a shame ... I got into Vandy and Cornell Law but neither one is good enough" is absurd sorry


It's professional school and you don't HAVE to take out hefty loans, just because many choose to is besides the point.

ETA: OP will be fine - yes if he hits the biglaw coinflip and can stay in it for enough years to pay off the debt, THEN he will be fine.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:I actually don't think I'd choose either school anywhere near sticker today.

Honestly, at these prices and assuming full financing by loans, not going to either is probably the best choice.

Look it's graduate school.... You have to take out hefty loans. As long as the OP does well at either school.... OP will be fine. I understand If you were wrestling between two T2 schools... It might make sense not to go to LS. TO say " oh what a shame ... I got into Vandy and Cornell Law but neither one is good enough" is absurd sorry


It's professional school and you don't HAVE to take out hefty loans, just because many choose to is besides the point.

Right, you dont have to. But it might not hurt you either, especially if you can get a high paying job ( which you can at either school) net worth over OPs life could be significantly greater than not going to a top LS at all

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 am

He was admitted off the waitlist, so assuming his numbers were marginal, he could retake and reapply, get some scholly money and be in a less all-in predicament like you think is no big deal.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 am

You are only focusing on top jobs with a bundle of ifs. Costs continue to rise, but expected value continues to dwindle. Good luck to you, but statistically this doesn't make sense for many people attending both of these relatively elite schools.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 am

Whenever I hear someone say "as long as OP does well," which is something you have marginal control over, I lol.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am

Better than me...I bang my head with the gavel SCOTUS gave me after naming me associate justice. Oh yeah, "I did well."

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:39 am

No preference means you are headed to NYC or your home market. For both of these, Cornell is the better choice (unless home market is in the SE.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 am

The only way I would choose either of these schools is if I wanted NYC biglaw, then I would go Cornell.

If you want anything else, having over 200k in loans hanging over your head is probably not the best decision.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Thank you! no regional preference at all.. Just want to hear from people who chose vandy over cornell why they made that choice :)

Neither are really gonna open up new regions you don't have previous ties to, so I'd figure this out.

I can't speak for Cornell specifically, but I had access to a few very insular markets from a similar ranked school and I didn't have any ties to any of them. These are secondary markets that the conventional TLS wisdom is they are next to impossible without ties. I wasn't exactly top of the class either (I was significantly over median though, maybe top 1/3)

Basically, what I am saying is that firms don't care about ties as much as you think they do. Have an honest reason why you want to be in the city or at the firm, and be sincere in how you convey that and it'll overcome no ties.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Thank you! no regional preference at all.. Just want to hear from people who chose vandy over cornell why they made that choice :)

Neither are really gonna open up new regions you don't have previous ties to, so I'd figure this out.

I can't speak for Cornell specifically, but I had access to a few very insular markets from a similar ranked school and I didn't have any ties to any of them. These are secondary markets that the conventional TLS wisdom is they are next to impossible without ties. I wasn't exactly top of the class either (I was significantly over median though, maybe top 1/3)

Basically, what I am saying is that firms don't care about ties as much as you think they do. Have an honest reason why you want to be in the city or at the firm, and be sincere in how you convey that and it'll overcome no ties.

Which markets?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm hesitant to name the actual markets for fear that it'll out me on TLS. One may be near being considered a primary market, but I think it's still secondary.

Not: NY, DC, Chicago, LA, SF/SV

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm hesitant to name the actual markets for fear that it'll out me on TLS. One may be near being considered a primary market, but I think it's still secondary.

Not: NY, DC, Chicago, LA, SF/SV

If so that would be a pretty solid result. Based on this massive ties thread we had like a month ago, and personal experiences and experiences of my friends, you're by far the exception, not the rule.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby KMaine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm hesitant to name the actual markets for fear that it'll out me on TLS. One may be near being considered a primary market, but I think it's still secondary.

Not: NY, DC, Chicago, LA, SF/SV

If so that would be a pretty solid result. Based on this massive ties thread we had like a month ago, and personal experiences and experiences of my friends, you're by far the exception, not the rule.


Yeah, Boston loves Cornell, though usually some ties are required.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm hesitant to name the actual markets for fear that it'll out me on TLS. One may be near being considered a primary market, but I think it's still secondary.

Not: NY, DC, Chicago, LA, SF/SV

If so that would be a pretty solid result. Based on this massive ties thread we had like a month ago, and personal experiences and experiences of my friends, you're by far the exception, not the rule.



That may be so as I am just one person.

I'm not saying ties aren't important. I guess I'm just saying that there are ways around ties since firms generally want ties because it is an indication you'll actually come to the firm and stay. If you can accomplish that in another way and come across as sincere, you can get over the ties hurdle.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks all for the great replies! Just thought I should clarify myself:

1. Will not be taking any loans.
2. I'm an international student and that's why I said I don't have any preference since I don't have any "ties" in the U.S.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Schang1 wrote:Thanks all for the great replies! Just thought I should clarify myself:

1. Will not be taking any loans.
2. I'm an international student and that's why I said I don't have any preference since I don't have any "ties" in the U.S.

With this extra info in mind, go to Cornell unless you hate snow and cold winters.

zaltman
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 am

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Postby zaltman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:06 pm

I am going to Vandy with 25/yr over Cornell at sticker. I had a really tough decision but it basically came down the fact that I don't NEED to be in NY and I loved Vandy when I went down and visited it. Bottom line is they are both tremendous schools and I think that OP will be fine at either.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 5 guests