cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

cornell
83%
vandy
18%

Total votes: 40

Schang1

Bronze

cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 am

Just got off from cornells waitlist.. Anyone know of any specific reasons to choose vandy over cornell?

s.pathan

New

Re: cornell sticker vs vandy 10k/yr

Post by s.pathan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am

where do you want to work? what type of law do you want to practice? where do you have strong ties? I'd choose Vandy over Cornell only if you want to work somewhere down south. If you want, say, NYC big law, then Cornell is the better option. Also, CONGRATS on getting into both Vandy and Cornell!

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:11 am

Thank you! no regional preference at all.. Just want to hear from people who chose vandy over cornell why they made that choice :)

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:14 am

I'm a huge advocate for taking money over prestige, BUT, that isn't enough money at Vandy to warrant passing on the T14.

Both great schools, but I'd rather go to Cornell if I was in your shoes.

s.pathan

New

Post by s.pathan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:34 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm a huge advocate for taking money over prestige, BUT, that isn't enough money at Vandy to warrant passing on the T14.

Agreed. Cornell, I believe has a better national reputation. Since the OP is indicating that he/she has no pref :) erence over work region, I'd say it'll be the wiser decision to take Cornell. 10K at Vandy is definitely not enough to choose over Cornell.

Personally, I'd choose Cornell over alot of schools. Its my dream school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 am

I would consider Vandy at that price if you were dead set on working on the South (esp. if you have no other ties to the South). Otherwise, Cornell is your best bet. Still, it is alot of money. Also, many people prefer the South to Ithaca, but I think that is significantly outweighted by the greater employment opportunities.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 am

Schang1 wrote:Thank you! no regional preference at all.. Just want to hear from people who chose vandy over cornell why they made that choice :)
Neither are really gonna open up new regions you don't have previous ties to, so I'd figure this out.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 am

s.pathan wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm a huge advocate for taking money over prestige, BUT, that isn't enough money at Vandy to warrant passing on the T14.

Agreed. Cornell, I believe has a better national reputation. Since the OP is indicating that he/she has no pref :) erence over work region, I'd say it'll be the wiser decision to take Cornell. 10K at Vandy is definitely not enough to choose over Cornell.

Thank you both for the great great input :)

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 am

KMaine wrote:I would consider Vandy at that price if you were dead set on working on the South (esp. if you have no other ties to the South). Otherwise, Cornell is your best bet. Still, it is alot of money. Also, many people prefer the South to Ithaca, but I think that is significantly outweighted by the greater employment opportunities.
Thanks for the great input! Are you referring to Vandy = greater employment opportunities?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 am

rad lulz wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Thank you! no regional preference at all.. Just want to hear from people who chose vandy over cornell why they made that choice :)
Neither are really gonna open up new regions you don't have previous ties to, so I'd figure this out.
Gotcha. Thanks for your input! :D

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 am

Schang1 wrote:
s.pathan wrote:

There are plenty of reasons to choose Cornell over Vanderbilt, but "greater national reputation" is not one, unless you have solid ties to a bunch of far-flung markets.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 am

rad lulz wrote:
Schang1 wrote:
s.pathan wrote:

There are plenty of reasons to choose Cornell over Vanderbilt, but "greater national reputation" is not one, unless you have solid ties to a bunch of far-flung markets.
Oh, come now. Cornell certainly has a more national name than Vandy, even if only for lay prestige alone.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:00 am

Without ties to these markets, you're not gonna get far. Also, no one gives a fuck about lay prestige.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 am

rad lulz wrote:Without ties to these markets, you're not gonna get far. Also, no one gives a fuck about lay prestige.
I didn't say that it would translate to a job. Without ties, you're right, it's an uphill battle. But I would think Cornell would have a more national name simply because it's T14.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 am

Not enough money from Vandy. Cornell places better into biglaw. You want a jerb? Don't have a specific regional preference? Cornell.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

Hey Schang... I can tell you why I chose Cornell with 45k over Vandy with 75k.
I visited bOth schools and obviously Vandy is more "party", but I found the students at Cornell to be just as friendly. By visiting both schools I have to say I felt as though Cornell was miles ahead of Vandy... Even if the rankings dont show it. The faculty, career resource office, and academic opportunities far outweighed Vandy. Just walking into Cornell I said to myself "now this is a law school", but I like the older architectural style.

At Vandy, everyone was talking about the lack of jobs for 3Ls. The class of 2011 numbers for NJL 250 placement was 22%! ... And I don't think it was because of self selection. I felt as though there is not as high of a demand for Vandy grads right now. Cornell did worse than it historically does, placing 40% of their class in the NJL 250, but that is still almost twice as much as Vanderbilt.

I really did enjoy Ithaca when I visited. I come from a collegetown down south, and in my opinion Ithaca was actually a notch up. Will the winters suck? Yea, probably. But as
Long as you don't frolic in the snow I can't imagine it being utterly unbearable. You will learn to live with it eventually. And afterall, we are here to receive an education and that should come first in your decision making. After visiting both schools Cornell won.... And it wasn't close.
Last edited by msblaw89 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Without ties to these markets, you're not gonna get far. Also, no one gives a fuck about lay prestige.
I didn't say that it would translate to a job. Without ties, you're right, it's an uphill battle. But I would think Cornell would have a more national name simply because it's T14.
If it doesn't translate to a job, what's the point.

Again, plenty of reasons to choose Cornell. But "no idea where I want to practice" isn't one. If "no idea" means something like "no preference," then enjoy a solid shot at NYC biglaw from Cornell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 am

Just considering NLJ250 without federal clerkships is dumb. Also, firms of 100+ numbers give a better picture than just NLJ250, which is somewhat biased to Northern firms.

Add federal clerkships to firm of 100+. By these numbers, in 2011, Cornell was 47%, Vandy was 41%. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=181415

Again, plenty of reasons to choose Cornell, but would like more info from OP.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 am

I picked Vandy over Cornell (but I had a higher scholarship). Honestly, it really has to do with OPs goals. If you want NYC, it's a no-brainer, if you have ties to the South and want to work there, it's a no-brainer. The scholarship itself isn't really enough to make a difference.

For what it's worth, I love Vandy. The professors are amazing and very accessible, I like the administration, and my classmates are awesome. I'm sure I'm going the PI/gov't route and I just finished 1L so I can't speak to jobs like rad can, but at least for 1L, the Vandy name carries a lot of weight all over the country (even with my crappy 1st semester grades).

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:41 am

As said above, I'd also look at 100+ firms instead of NLJ 250. Compare on LST:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Note the Large Firm Score, Employment Score, and UnderEmployment Score.

I made the choice of Vanderbilt (45k) over Cornell (30k) in 2008, back when Vandy was killing it. I don't regret it. I don't think I'd make the same choice today, even though I want to be in the south. I actually don't think I'd choose either school anywhere near sticker today. Play hardball with these schools and demand money, even off the waitlist. Law schools are struggling with enrollment in a big way

ETA: Do look at the 2011 data carefully. As rad pointed out, Cornell really struggled relative to 2010, putting it closer to Vandy. The new data will be out on LST tomorrow or Friday for all schools.

Looks like Vandy has steadier placement, but that Cornell's placement ceiling is higher. This likely has everything to do with Cornell's NYC placement. Is 2011 and beyond the new normal? Probably...
Last edited by jenesaislaw on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 am

Agree that neither law school is offering you enough money.

Two very different environments. Try to visit both before deciding.

If your target market is NYC, then Cornell is the easy choice; if The South, then Vanderbilt is the better option.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am

jenesaislaw wrote:I actually don't think I'd choose either school anywhere near sticker today.
Honestly, at these prices and assuming full financing by loans, not going to either is probably the best choice.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 am

rad lulz wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:I actually don't think I'd choose either school anywhere near sticker today.
Honestly, at these prices and assuming full financing by loans, not going to either is probably the best choice.
Cornell Class of 2015 Non-Discounted Cost Financed With Loans: $264,505
Vandy: $248,164

For him, we can knock off 35k with this scholarship. 210k is so much money to have hanging over your head, even if IBR is still around.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:55 am

rad lulz wrote:
Look it's graduate school.... You have to take out hefty loans. As long as the OP does well at either school.... OP will be fine. I understand If you were wrestling between two T2 schools... It might make sense not to go to LS. TO say " oh what a shame ... I got into Vandy and Cornell Law but neither one is good enough" is absurd sorry

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:57 am

msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Look it's graduate school.... You have to take out hefty loans. As long as the OP does well at either school.... OP will be fine. I understand If you were wrestling between two T2 schools... It might make sense not to go to LS. TO say " oh what a shame ... I got into Vandy and Cornell Law but neither one is good enough" is absurd sorry
Things we know:

1) You're going to Cornell;
2) Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”