HELP! Retake? OR Fordham (10k), GWU (10k)...GULC/Cornell WL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NedStark12

HELP! Retake? OR Fordham (10k), GWU (10k)...GULC/Cornell WL

Postby NedStark12 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi all..Long time lurker here. The thread title lists my current choices and $ offers/year. Also, I have the following goals:

- IP Litigation in BigLaw firm
- Definitely want to work in NYC

Fordham and GW have basically the same placement in big law (around 20%)...GW has a big IP boost and Fordham has the great NY placement (for a school outside the T14).

At this stage in the game, I've decided that I would definitely take GULC/Cornell at sticker if I am taken off the WL. I also have been trying to justify paying over 200k (even after scholly money taken into effect) at either Fordham or GWU for a few weeks now and still can't 100% convince myself. I have a deposit deadline approaching at GWU that I was thinking about putting down. So far, that is what I think I am going to do as I wait out Cornell/GULC into the summer. As far as retaking goes....I have a job lined up and I could retake, however, I'd have to wait 1 full cycle to retake (most likely would retake June '13 --- my current score is 166-168 range and I definitely am game to put in work to raise it). It would definitely suck having to wait 2 years to start law school but if it helps my career in the long run, I am game.

I've been tossing around all these options for a while...your advice is appreciated!
Last edited by NedStark12 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Re: HELP! Retake? OR Fordham (10k), GWU (10k)...GULC/Cornell WL

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Fordham and GW are nowhere near worth $200k plus interest.

--ImageRemoved--

NedStark12

Postby NedStark12 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:Fordham and GW are nowhere near worth $200k plus interest.

--ImageRemoved--

Would you stick by your advice even though I am looking to do IP? Would you say that prospects are about the same for IP/non-IP graduates? A few lawyers I work with are advising against a retake, as they suggest Fordham/GW offer good enough IP prospects. I only doubt their advice because they're all out of law school at least a decade. I'm basically looking for the consensus as to the 'why' Fordham/GW is definitely not worth it. As of now I am leaning toward a retake (barring Cornell/GULC give me the call).

PS...nice touch with the pic lol

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Being IP gives you a cushion, but not enough, and you have retakes left.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 pm

NedStark12 wrote: As far as retaking goes....I have a job lined up and I could retake, however, I'd have to wait 1 full cycle to retake (most likely would retake June '13 --- my current score is 166-168 range and I definitely am game to put in work to raise it). It would definitely suck having to wait 2 years to start law school but if it helps my career in the long run, I am game.

I've been tossing around all these options for a while...your advice is appreciated!

Please don't do this. You're looking at $230K in debt once you calculate the accrued interest. At about 7.5%. You're going to be racking up $1400 per month in interest once you graduate. Take the job, retake the LSAT, and see if you can come up with better options than these schools at these prices.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:Being IP gives you a cushion, but not enough, and you have retakes left.

Agreed for the most part. Even if it gives you a cushion, you could save thousands of by retaking.

Also if you don't have the UG creds then you're not getting any boost just because you're aiming for IP lit.

NedStark12

Postby NedStark12 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 pm

I appreciate your responses thus far. And just to beat the dead horse here...I know schools still claim that they take consideration in multiple LSAT scores, but I shouldn't be handicapped too much if I have a 3rd LSAT score, right? I've read a lot of threads and saw some LSN profiles of people with 3 LSAT scores getting into basically all T14 schools except for HYS. Does this still hold true?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:54 pm

NedStark12 wrote:I appreciate your responses thus far. And just to beat the dead horse here...I know schools still claim that they take consideration in multiple LSAT scores, but I shouldn't be handicapped too much if I have a 3rd LSAT score, right? I've read a lot of threads and saw some LSN profiles of people with 3 LSAT scores getting into basically all T14 schools except for HYS. Does this still hold true?

You good.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

Cornell at sticker is really the only school you should consider out of any of your potential options. I'm not sure about GULC at sticker for IP, but my inclination is to be against it.

Retake in October 2012, apply by December.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Cornell at sticker is worth it.
Considering your goals, Fordham is a crap shoot.
Class of 2011 placed 25% into biglaw. non-IP you would need to be top 1/3 or so to get an interview.
IP might boost that to top half (not sure - don't know much about IP) - which is a coinflip of a chance.
Considering your thoughts on the matter, it's probably best if you take a year or two out and retry.
Seriously, starting law school 2 years after UG is not a big deal

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:05 am

NedStark12 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Would you stick by your advice even though I am looking to do IP? Would you say that prospects are about the same for IP/non-IP graduates? A few lawyers I work with are advising against a retake, as they suggest Fordham/GW offer good enough IP prospects. I only doubt their advice because they're all out of law school at least a decade. I'm basically looking for the consensus as to the 'why' Fordham/GW is definitely not worth it. As of now I am leaning toward a retake (barring Cornell/GULC give me the call).

A vital question- what is your UG degree in? Do you have advanced degrees?

NedStark12

Postby NedStark12 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 am

timbs4339 wrote:
NedStark12 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

A vital question- what is your UG degree in? Do you have advanced degrees?

Chemistry...no advanced degree.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 pm

NedStark12 wrote:Hi all..Long time lurker here. The thread title lists my current choices and $ offers/year. Also, I have the following goals:

- IP Litigation in BigLaw firm
- Definitely want to work in NYC

Fordham and GW have basically the same placement in big law (around 20%)...GW has a big IP boost and Fordham has the great NY placement (for a school outside the T14).

Stop. Based on what you've said, your only halfway reasonable option is Cornell at sticker. And even that is foolhardy.

NYC is an incredibly saturated legal market even in this law market climate. You would not have a prayer in hell of landing an NYC job competing against Columbia and NYU grads as a Fordham or GW grad, and you will only have a fighting chance at NYC BigLaw in the top tier of your class at Cornell.

If you're getting 168s on the LSAT, you should be capable of pushing that extra inch, breaking 170 and trying for some money at Cornell, or a better school.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 pm

locthebloke wrote:You would not have a prayer in hell of landing an NYC job competing against Columbia and NYU grads as a Fordham or GW grad, and you will only have a fighting chance at NYC BigLaw in the top tier of your class at Cornell

Someone doesn't know his facts.
Cornell has virtually the same NY biglaw placement as NYU, and while Fordham is a step down, it is not true that its grads have no chance. Top 25% & law revue at Fordham will win from NYU at median any day

2012 NLJ250 placement:
Columbia: 51.65%
NYU: 40.13%
Cornell: 38.30%
Fordham: 19.58%

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1

morally0bese

Postby morally0bese » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Ned Stark might find Ithaca homey.

“All the color had been leached from Winterfell until only grey and white remained. The Stark colors. Theon did not know whether he ought to find that ominous or reassuring. Even the sky was grey. The eyes of the bride were brown. Big and brown and full of fear.”

Return to “Choosing a Law School”