Off the BC waitlist...now what?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm

So currently I've made plans to go to U. Maryland. And by plans I mean I already signed a lease on an apartment and everything else. But then don't I get an email from Boston College offering me a spot off the WL. Boston College was originally one of my top choices, and its closer to home for me (plus my sister lives in Boston).

So now I'm wondering is it worth considering switching to BC? Maryland is a lot cheaper, and its location right outside of DC is very appealing (ideally I would love to intern/work with the SEC at some point). But the location in Baltimore wasn't the best, and I like the city of Boston a lot better.

But then there's the cost. I didn't get offered money at Maryland (which I find strange since I got decent schollys from schools ranked a lot higher), but its still decently cheap, and even cheaper if I can establish residency my second year. BC is obviously reealllyyy expensive, not even adding in living costs. My parents have graciously offered to pay my way no matter where I go, but regardless, I plan on taking out loans to at least pay for half.

I would love to hear anyones input on this; I'm completely torn :?

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:55 pm

What's total COA for both? I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either. Otherwise, go where you want to work.

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:What's total COA for both? I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either. Otherwise, go where you want to work.


Both are an estimated to be around 60k, but with Maryland residency I can get it for around 50k.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:19 pm

It shouldn't really be that difficult a decision. Unless you want to live/work in Baltimore upon graduation, which it sounds like you do not, then go to BC. Also, ask them for money. Just b/c you got in off waitlist doesn't mean you can't ask. Tell them what you told us - the school you plan to attend is cheaper and you've already signed a lease. Ask them to make it worth your while to switch. But you should probably go there regardless of their answer.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:20 pm

BC, it is a far better school with a home market.

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:30 pm

I agree with what everyone here is saying, BC is a far better school, but I'm very committed on practicing some sort of Business Law (like I said working with the SEC or an accounting/auditing association would be ideal) and it doesn't look like BC offers hardly anything in that area. Maryland offers a lot of classes in the field.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:42 pm

dixon02 wrote:It shouldn't really be that difficult a decision. Unless you want to live/work in Baltimore upon graduation, which it sounds like you do not, then go to BC. Also, ask them for money. Just b/c you got in off waitlist doesn't mean you can't ask. Tell them what you told us - the school you plan to attend is cheaper and you've already signed a lease. Ask them to make it worth your while to switch. But you should probably go there regardless of their answer.


/thread

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Marie34 wrote:I agree with what everyone here is saying, BC is a far better school, but I'm very committed on practicing some sort of Business Law (like I said working with the SEC or an accounting/auditing association would be ideal) and it doesn't look like BC offers hardly anything in that area. Maryland offers a lot of classes in the field.


BC has plenty of business law classes. I'm taking a bunch of them next semester alone.

Corporations
Mergers and Acquisitions
Tax I,II,III, Tax Policy, Tax Research
Secured Transactions
Securities Regulations
Insurance Law
International Business Transactions
International Arbitration
Law of Money
Start Ups & Venture Capital Finance
Antitrust
Business Bankruptcy
Business Immigration
Corporate Finance

That's a bit more than hardly anything. And Boston is home to the regional branch office of the SEC.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby flem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Marie34 wrote:Both are an estimated to be around 60k, but with Maryland residency I can get it for around 50k.


A year? Fuck that noise.

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
Marie34 wrote:I agree with what everyone here is saying, BC is a far better school, but I'm very committed on practicing some sort of Business Law (like I said working with the SEC or an accounting/auditing association would be ideal) and it doesn't look like BC offers hardly anything in that area. Maryland offers a lot of classes in the field.


BC has plenty of business law classes. I'm taking a bunch of them next semester alone.

Corporations
Mergers and Acquisitions
Tax I,II,III, Tax Policy, Tax Research
Secured Transactions
Securities Regulations
Insurance Law
International Business Transactions
International Arbitration
Law of Money
Start Ups & Venture Capital Finance
Antitrust
Business Bankruptcy
Business Immigration
Corporate Finance

That's a bit more than hardly anything. And Boston is home to the regional branch office of the SEC.


This is awkward, clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about haha. I swear the first time I looked I didn't see anything, then I did more research and I found all this.

Does anyone have any input on the student life at either of these schools? Maryland seemed like a very welcoming laid back environment, while I've heard BC tends to be very , for a lack of a better word, douchey.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby flem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Marie34 wrote:while I've heard BC tends to be very , for a lack of a better word, douchey.


Have you met a law student before? Law students are a special breed.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Marie34 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:What's total COA for both? I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either. Otherwise, go where you want to work.


Both are an estimated to be around 60k, but with Maryland residency I can get it for around 50k.


Is this per year, or total?

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Marie34 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:What's total COA for both? I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either. Otherwise, go where you want to work.


Both are an estimated to be around 60k, but with Maryland residency I can get it for around 50k.


Is this per year, or total?


Per year unfortunately. Maryland tuition is 33 and BC is 44, so I'm not sure why or how the COA is around the same when there's a 11k difference in tuition. Room and Board seem to be relatively the same also.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Marie34 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Marie34 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:What's total COA for both? I personally wouldn't pay sticker at either. Otherwise, go where you want to work.


Both are an estimated to be around 60k, but with Maryland residency I can get it for around 50k.


Is this per year, or total?


Per year unfortunately. Maryland tuition is 33 and BC is 44, so I'm not sure why or how the COA is around the same when there's a 11k difference in tuition. Room and Board seem to be relatively the same also.

I, and most people in this thread, would probably advise you against either school if you're paying for it yourself. Neither school has particularly strong job numbers to justify $150,000 to $240,000 in debt. If your parents are paying for it and it's not a financial burden for them, definitely go BC.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby flem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Marie34 wrote:Per year unfortunately. Maryland tuition is 33 and BC is 44, so I'm not sure why or how the COA is around the same when there's a 11k difference in tuition. Room and Board seem to be relatively the same also.


Attending BC at sticker price is a risky gamble at best, attending Maryland at sticker is retarded.

Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Marie34 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

flem wrote:
Marie34 wrote:Per year unfortunately. Maryland tuition is 33 and BC is 44, so I'm not sure why or how the COA is around the same when there's a 11k difference in tuition. Room and Board seem to be relatively the same also.


Attending BC at sticker price is a risky gamble at best, attending Maryland at sticker is retarded.


Phrasing it like that may have just made my decision for me. Thanks for being blunt.

And for info, I'm paying for half and my parents are picking up the rest.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby flem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Marie34 wrote:Phrasing it like that may have just made my decision for me. Thanks for being blunt.

And for info, I'm paying for half and my parents are picking up the rest.


That's not a bad idea, getting out of BC for 90ish of debt is a pretty good deal. Enjoy Boston.

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

if u wanna work in the sec, i wouldnt go to law school. that's just me...thank me later

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 pm

flem wrote:
Marie34 wrote:Phrasing it like that may have just made my decision for me. Thanks for being blunt.

And for info, I'm paying for half and my parents are picking up the rest.


That's not a bad idea, getting out of BC for 90ish of debt is a pretty good deal. Enjoy Boston.


+1

You got a great deal here. Make the right choice. BC it is. I would still ask them for money though haha

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Off the BC waitlist...now what?

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:37 am

Don't pay sticker at Maryland




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests