75k Wustl vs. wait a year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
woodsjm

75k Wustl vs. wait a year

Postby woodsjm » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Love TLS. Thank you to everyone who makes it great.

-------

Here is the situation:

My significant other will be attending Washu for free (105k + parents money) this fall, and I have a 75k offer from them. The problem is that I have 50k in UG debt, so that scholarship is all but negated.

Now, for whatever reason schools have been generous given our circumstances. We both applied late Feb. with her (168/3.6) and I (173/2.7) getting scholarships to schools like IUB, Wustl, etc. (Wustl is the highest ranked so far). She was wait-listed at UCLA and UVA.

Both want Big Law (she has Big Law connections... I have zero connections of any kind). Should I just sit out and re-apply in Sept.? Do schools care whether you re-apply? Would it really matter money-wise if I re-applied? Should I just take what I have with Wustl?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

CanadianWolf

Re: 75k Wustl vs. wait a year

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 pm

If you're willing to sit out for a year & reapply next cycle, then tell WashUStL admissions & see if they can increase their offer. If not, reapply next year when law school applications will be down even further. Consider an ED application to Virginia, for example, if you're going to be borrowing over $100,000 anyway.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Definitely tell WashU you are considering sitting out the year. They'll likely pony up.

To be honest, I'm not so sure sitting out a year is worth it unless you are retaking the LSAT. If you are the 173/2.7, schollys are pretty unpredictable...there's no guarantee you will get more money. Plus retaking a 173 is ballsy. Now if you're the 168, a retake is possible.

noggo10

Postby noggo10 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm

If you and your SO are very serious (like marriage serious) and /or you don't mind staying in the Midwest that sounds fine. If not, reapply I'd say.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Doubtful that retaking a 173 will help one with 2.7 GPA since Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia & Chicago are unlikely to admit OP regardless of his LSAT score & OP's current 173 exceeds all other law school medians (not certain about NYU, however).

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

With your extreme splitter status... gunning for NU could be an option.

If you want biglaw, WUSTL isn't going to give you a particularly good shot.

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

I got $84k after negotiating from WUSTL, and I have a worse LSAT than you and similar GPA. You can do better than $75k.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:24 pm

In what city do you want to practice?

Do you have any help towards the cost, other than the 75K scholly? Any savings or family contribution?

woodsjm

Postby woodsjm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't care where I work or how crappy the work is. Simply gunning for Big Law:)

Since I will be with my SO for the rest of my life, it seems advantageous to simply wait a year and see where she is grade-wise next spring. If she does really well, then she would either transfer (to a better school I may have gotten into by re-applying early) or stay at Wustl with me starting Fall 2013 (given that I got accepted again... and with money). If she does poorly, then I would opt out of law school unless a particularly attractive offer was forthcoming from a T25. The uncertainty regarding whether the scholarship money will be there next year, however, makes it a bit more complicated in deciding to wait a year.

I don't have savings or family contribution, so my scholarship is essentially negated by UG debt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but paying near sticker at Wustl seems particularly risky/dumb.

She's contacting a family friend in Indy Big Law to see what they say about the situation.

...my gut tells me to just wait a year:( Maybe just re-take the LSAT or something.

woodsjm

Postby woodsjm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 pm

I was given fee waivers to Virginia and NU, but those came around Feb. 1st, and wasn't able to get apps. out till mid Feb. I subsequently got dinged by both.

ED-ing Virginia or NU might work, but I can't imagine I would get any money. With UG debt, seems crazy pants to do $250,000+ for a coin-toss (admittedly better odds than Wustl) at paying that off if my SO doesn't get Big Law.

I think I'll re-visit the scholarship spam that Regent Law School of lower education has been punishing my inbox with for the past 6 months... jk.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Wait, reapply early, and strongly consider EDing to MVP (also try RD at Northwestern). As a splitter it is unlikely you will get money at any t14, but you will likely get in with an ED (Above one median + ED = in usually). Also, unless this is a wife or soon to be, SO probably should not make the decision for you.

There's also little incentive for a t30 to give you more than around 1/2 scholarship because you help only one median (a 169, 3.7 is more help because they increase both medians). Your extra LSAT points (above their median) are no help to them and are largely wasted, but could help a school with a higher median.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:02 pm

woodsjm wrote:I don't care where I work or how crappy the work is. Simply gunning for Big Law:)

Since I will be with my SO for the rest of my life, it seems advantageous to simply wait a year and see where she is grade-wise next spring. If she does really well, then she would either transfer (to a better school I may have gotten into by re-applying early) or stay at Wustl with me starting Fall 2013 (given that I got accepted again... and with money). If she does poorly, then I would opt out of law school unless a particularly attractive offer was forthcoming from a T25. The uncertainty regarding whether the scholarship money will be there next year, however, makes it a bit more complicated in deciding to wait a year.

I don't have savings or family contribution, so my scholarship is essentially negated by UG debt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but paying near sticker at Wustl seems particularly risky/dumb.

She's contacting a family friend in Indy Big Law to see what they say about the situation.

...my gut tells me to just wait a year:( Maybe just re-take the LSAT or something.

If you have no sources of cash other than the 75K scholly, you are looking at about 120K in debt to attend WashU, which will turn into roughly 145K by graduation after interest accrues and they get finished raising the tuition while you're there. That's a lot of debt for a school that is placing only about 13% of grads into Biglaw. I vote for reapplying next year and concentrating on (a) lower T14s via ED, and/or (b) full ride at lower-ranked schools. Hopefully you can earn money in the meantime to help pay for school.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

My SO and I applied at the same to law school last year. Because I would be taking on loans and she would not, we toyed with the idea of me waiting a year to earn a little bit more, but ultimately decided we didn't want to drag out the process. Obviously, I can't say whether the alternative would have been better/worse, but I can tell you that keeping a relationship healthy during 1L was difficult (not in a bad way, it just requires a lot of time/energy - things you have in short supply), and I think it helped us tremendously to be going through the process at the same time. Just something else to consider.

I know people are loathe to recommend thinking of transfer as an option, but if you really buckle down, getting good grades may not be too hard for you. I was a splitter (with a lower LSAT and higher UGPA) and did extremely well at a T20 this year (I believe) in part because my UGPA didn't reflect who I was anymore. If you're like me and just didn't apply yourself in UG, I would expect to do pretty well if you put in the work. I really don't buy the idea that law school grades are a total crapshoot (i.e., your odds at biglaw identical to the NLJ250 employed grads from your school). Obviously there's a degree of luck involved, but people who study hard and smart tend to do well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”