Wash U ($$) or Fordham($)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll ended at Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Wash U ($25,000 per year)
57%
Fordham ($5,000 per year)
43%

Total votes: 7

CoconutsMigrate

Postby CoconutsMigrate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:38 pm

So Wash U is offering me $25,000 per year and Fordham is offering me only $5,000 per year. I don't want to stay in St. Louis and I would be ok with living in New York City for some years after law school. But I don't want to be limited to where I can move to so a school with something of a national reputation would be nice. I would like to move back to California eventually once I'm settled down. I'm most interested in going to the school that will get me the best job for the best money. Wash U has great clinics and externships, including one where people get to work in New York City their 3L year.

Wash U would save me a lot of money overall (including housing) but I worry that my job prospects would be stronger if I went with Fordham given its location and the opportunity to network. Then again, I'm very lucky and my parents are the ones paying for law school so debt wouldn't be an issue anyways. Thoughts?
Last edited by CoconutsMigrate on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Wash U ($$) or Fordham($)?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 pm

If the cost of law school is not an issue for you, then select based on preferred location & job placement in your target market.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If the cost of law school is not an issue for you, then select based on preferred location & job placement in your target market.

This should effectively be the end of the thread. OP, just look at where you have ties to and where you want to work. If you want to return to locations you have ties to after graduation, WashU. If you want to work in NYC, Fordham. You just have to make that choice.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 pm

"I'm most interested in going to the school that will get me the best job for the best money."

Fordham if you want even a shot at biglaw. Do not go to WUSTL if you want biglaw.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:"I'm most interested in going to the school that will get me the best job for the best money."

Fordham if you want even a shot at biglaw. Do not go to WUSTL if you want biglaw.

Fordham sent like, 27% to big law/fed clerkship last year. Wustl sent 22%. If money is not a huge concern and primarily wants to work in NYC then Fordham is the obvious choice, but because of location not because of marginally better biglaw placement.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Neither of these schools have national reputations. Neither are very portable to California. Fordham feeds into NYC biglaw if you are top 1/3. WUSTL scatters people in the Midwest.

Since you're not paying, Fordham sounds like the better choice, but it's not nearly worth what you'd be paying.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”