Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Vanderbilt ($30k)
26
90%
Emory ($60k)
3
10%
 
Total votes: 29

PledgeGarcia
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby PledgeGarcia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, but at that point I was still on the waiting list at Vandy and didn't know what to expect.

I've now been admitted to Vandy with $30,000, while I am $750 deep in seat deposits at Emory, where I have $60,000.

I am from the South and ultimately would love to return to work in a big market in the South (ATL probably), but I also don't want to rule out the possibilty of other large markets such as NYC and Chicago.

I am all but convinced the move to make is Vanderbilt, especially considering the scholarship that I have been awarded. Am I right in this line of thinking?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby flem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:42 pm

PledgeGarcia wrote:I am all but convinced the move to make is Vanderbilt, especially considering the scholarship that I have been awarded. Am I right in this line of thinking?


Yes. Enjoy Nashville.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:43 pm

PledgeGarcia wrote:I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, but at that point I was still on the waiting list at Vandy and didn't know what to expect.

I've now been admitted to Vandy with $30,000, while I am $750 deep in seat deposits at Emory, where I have $60,000.

I am from the South and ultimately would love to return to work in a big market in the South (ATL probably), but I also don't want to rule out the possibilty of other large markets such as NYC and Chicago.

I am all but convinced the move to make is Vanderbilt, especially considering the scholarship that I have been awarded. Am I right in this line of thinking?


Yes, with Emory you are still looking at needing big law to service that debt. At least with Vandy, you are giving yourself much greater chance, as well as slim chance at NY if you are tip top of class

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Use Vandy scholly to negotiate with Emory for an increase maybe?

How well does Vandy do in ATL? If not very well, I'd say Emory.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby flem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:53 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Use Vandy scholly to negotiate with Emory for an increase maybe?

How well does Vandy do in ATL? If not very well, I'd say Emory.


I'd say roughly top 1/3rd at Vandy has a great shot at ATL biglaw if that want it. Better placement than Emory.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Difference between Emery and Vandy is definitely worth 30k.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby top30man » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm

flem wrote:
PledgeGarcia wrote:I am all but convinced the move to make is Vanderbilt, especially considering the scholarship that I have been awarded. Am I right in this line of thinking?


Yes. Enjoy Nashville.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby de5igual » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Retake/Reapply >>>>>>>>>>>>> Vanderbilt ($) >>> Emory ($$)

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Well if you go to Vandy and not Emory, let Emory know ASAP and tell them to give your seat to the waitlisted "NoleKnight16" ;)

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt ($) vs. Emory ($$)

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

FYI Atlanta biglaw is one of the most difficult types of biglaw to get (honestly the only one's that I could see being harder would be Austin, TX, Miami, and Charlotte). Frankly, I would not bet on getting Atlanta biglaw from any school except HYS with ties. You probably need top 10 percent to be certain of being able to get ATL biglaw from Vandy. Top 1/3 would give you a shot.

That being said, Vandy is your best bet for Atlanta biglaw other than HYS UVA and Duke. And it's probably not that much worse at ATL biglaw than UVA and Duke. More importantly Vandy gives you a great shot at other Southern markets (especially Birmingham, which is a much easier Southern market to break into right now). Emory on the other hand, doesn't do all that well in ANY market--for the price it's probably one of the biggest ripoffs in the country when you consider that it isn't really materially stronger than UGA; and it gets crushed by Vanderbilt (as well as, obviously, Duke and UVA). Don't even consider Emory; but do try to get more money from Vandy.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Google Adsense [Bot], Sushi and 5 guests