Waitlist options/opinions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
westinghouse60

Bronze

Waitlist options/opinions

Post by westinghouse60 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm

As of right now I'll be at Vandy next year with a 50k over 3 years scholarship, and I decided to go there over Cornell at sticker. My main goal is biglaw to pay off my debt (like 95% of TLSers it seems), and I reasoned that paying off 150k debt while making 125-145k/year in southern biglaw was better than trying to pay off 210k+ on 160k in NYC where the COL is twice as much. I know that Cornell would have given me a better chance at biglaw overall, but I think the decreased chance at biglaw out of Vandy vs. Cornell would be compensated by being in a better financial situation overall when it came to paying off loans. (Can you tell I'm trying to justify the decision to myself?)

Anyway, I'm still on the waitlist at Columbia, Penn, UVA, Michigan, and Duke, and I'm trying to decide which schools I should ride out the waitlist for and attend without thinking twice if I get in. I think Columbia and Penn are obvious, because while they're as expensive as Cornell and would going there would likely entail living in NYC to pay off loans, the chances at biglaw from there outweigh the cost. (I'm not opposed to living in NYC at all, its just the COL/debt issue). Also, I really loved UVA and would go there in a second if I had the chance. So I guess my question is about Michigan/Duke: should I go there at (presumably) sticker over Vandy if I get in off the waitlist and not think twice? I know this is hypothetical somewhat, but I really want to be able to have a decision ready. Its worth mentioning that have ties to the south as well, ie grew up/went to school here, family lives here etc.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Re: Waitlist options/opinions

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:As of right now I'll be at Vandy next year with a 50k over 3 years scholarship, and I decided to go there over Cornell at sticker. My main goal is biglaw to pay off my debt (like 95% of TLSers it seems), and I reasoned that paying off 150k debt while making 125-145k/year in southern biglaw was better than trying to pay off 210k+ on 160k in NYC where the COL is twice as much. I know that Cornell would have given me a better chance at biglaw overall, but I think the decreased chance at biglaw out of Vandy vs. Cornell would be compensated by being in a better financial situation overall when it came to paying off loans. (Can you tell I'm trying to justify the decision to myself?)

Anyway, I'm still on the waitlist at Columbia, Penn, UVA, Michigan, and Duke, and I'm trying to decide which schools I should ride out the waitlist for and attend without thinking twice if I get in. I think Columbia and Penn are obvious, because while they're as expensive as Cornell and would going there would likely entail living in NYC to pay off loans, the chances at biglaw from there outweigh the cost. (I'm not opposed to living in NYC at all, its just the COL/debt issue). Also, I really loved UVA and would go there in a second if I had the chance. So I guess my question is about Michigan/Duke: should I go there at (presumably) sticker over Vandy if I get in off the waitlist and not think twice? I know this is hypothetical somewhat, but I really want to be able to have a decision ready. Its worth mentioning that have ties to the south as well, ie grew up/went to school here, family lives here etc.
If you wanted biglaw, you made a big mistake.

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:32 pm

credited

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Seems as if you really want Columbia, Penn or Virginia.

Consider sitting out this year & reapplying early. Your 175/3.4 should get you at least one, but probably two, of Columbia, Penn & Virginia next cycle. If you really prefer Virginia, then apply ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”