Cardozo/ Villanova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go

Cardozo
20%
Villanova
80%

Total votes: 15

leadferd3344

New

Cardozo/ Villanova

Post by leadferd3344 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Originally from Philly area, I would like to end up in DC eventually. Working locally in Philly/NYC for a while wouldn't be too bad though. NYC would probably be better. Interested in international law/ government work. I realize that is a rare sort of job to get so I would realistically be fine with doing private practice for a while.
Im concerned with Villanova's recent nosedive in the rankings. I'm Jewish so I liked the atmosphere Cardozo, but I was super impressed with the facilities. Its location is prime, but the mainline is a nice area.
Villanova- Full ride/ no stipulations.
Cardozo- 30k/ yr, top 80% stip, around 62K in debt before compounding interest. 6k a year in a school loan that is 5% with compounding interest only after graduation.

My grandparents are paying for all of my living expenses. I am solely responsible for tuition.

Input appreciated. I have to make a second deposit today and can't seem to decide.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Re: Cardozo/ Villanova

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I say 'dozo, only because 'Nova isn't worth sticker ITE.

Edit: Reading comp fail. 'Nova all the way.
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leadferd3344

New

Post by leadferd3344 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:I say 'dozo, only because 'Nova isn't worth sticker ITE.
Villanova is free/ full scholarship, not sticker.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:02 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:I say 'dozo, only because 'Nova isn't worth sticker ITE.
leadferd3344 wrote:Villanova- Full ride/ no stipulations.
They both basically give you the same shot at gaining full time legal employment.
LST: Villanova wrote:•56.2% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
•65.7% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•66.5% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
•17.6% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
•At least 8.8% of this school's graduates made $100,000 or more.
LST: Cardozo wrote:•57.2% of graduates were known employed in full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number of temporary jobs and school-funded jobs.
•60.8% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•65.3% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
•32.6% of this school's graduates were employed and reported a salary.
•At least 16.3% of this school's graduates made $80,000 or more.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm

leadferd3344 wrote:Originally from Philly area, I would like to end up in DC eventually. Working locally in Philly/NYC for a while wouldn't be too bad though. NYC would probably be better. Interested in international law/ government work. I realize that is a rare sort of job to get so I would realistically be fine with doing private practice for a while.
Im concerned with Villanova's recent nosedive in the rankings. I'm Jewish so I liked the atmosphere Cardozo, but I was super impressed with the facilities. Its location is prime, but the mainline is a nice area.
Villanova- Full ride/ no stipulations.
Cardozo- 30k/ yr, top 80% stip, around 62K in debt before compounding interest. 6k a year in a school loan that is 5% with compounding interest only after graduation.

My grandparents are paying for all of my living expenses. I am solely responsible for tuition.

Input appreciated. I have to make a second deposit today and can't seem to decide.
This doesn't seem like a flame, but everyone seems to keep their distance...

Pretty sure neither will get you to DC. Out of those two options I'd probably take Villanova, but that's me. I believe they are similar job prospect-wise, and a full-ride without stipulation is nice to have under your belt, though the Dozo stip and scholly isn't brutal. On the other hand, I'm guessing you have ties to Philly, which is nice, and I'm guessing will lower your COL.

The Real Answer
Frankly, neither one is a fantastic option. More importantly, whats your GPA and LSAT? How many times did you take the LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leadferd3344

New

Post by leadferd3344 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:56 pm

I took it 3 times, highest 161 gpa 3.61.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:34 pm

leadferd3344 wrote:I took it 3 times, highest 161 gpa 3.61.

How did you prepare (self study, classes, materials)? How long did you study before each test? Is there some real reason you need to go to law school immediately?

leadferd3344

New

Post by leadferd3344 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:03 pm

emarxnj wrote:

How did you prepare (self study, classes, materials)? How long did you study before each test? Is there some real reason you need to go to law school immediately?
All of the above, 1 year of studying brought me from a 136. My expenses are covered if I start next year.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm

leadferd3344 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

All of the above, 1 year of studying brought me from a 136. My expenses are covered if I start next year.

I guess Villanova is the answer then. Seems like pretty low risk. The reward may not be amazing but if you really want to practice law, there are plenty worse options than free tuition and living in your home city. Just be aware you probably won't get to DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:28 pm

emarxnj wrote:
leadferd3344 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I guess Villanova is the answer then. Seems like pretty low risk. The reward may not be amazing but if you really want to practice law, there are plenty worse options than free tuition and living in your home city. Just be aware you probably won't get to DC.
+1

the difference in employment prospects between dozo and nova arent enough to take out 60k of debt and leave your home market.

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:28 am

OP, I hate to be inflammatory, but are either of these schools a *TOP 8* SCHOOL? NO. Do NOT go to law school if it is not a top 8 school or you have if you do not have friends/family/connections in the field who can secure a job for you upon graduation. I'm speaking as a former prospective law student who very recently became truly educated as to the nature of this scummy industry.

Cardozo is a JOKE. How do you expect to find a job in a climate where 45,000 new JDs are minted a year and the job market has 29,000 total legal jobs. As a graduate of Cardozo you will be competing with grads of NYU AND Columbia for New York jobs. You will not find employment!

Villanova is a bigger joke.

Law schools use tricky and misleading employment and salary statistics to ensnare prospective students. Law professors make 6 figure salaries. How do they sleep at night knowing this and going into teach everyday facing countless students who will, in turn, be crippled with that many figures in non-dischargable debt and no job prospects.

The ABA are swine. They accredit these crapholes without requiring them to submit an independent audit of salary and employment figures.

Please educate yourself, and back out before it is too late!

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:30 am

I will add that you should NOT go to Villanova just because you've been offered a full scholarship. It's a craphole school and law school scholarships are VERY difficult to retain. It is not worth the risk, even though you'd be starting out (emphasis on starting out) with a full ride.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 am

locthebloke wrote:I will add that you should NOT go to Villanova just because you've been offered a full scholarship. It's a craphole school and law school scholarships are VERY difficult to retain. It is not worth the risk, even though you'd be starting out (emphasis on starting out) with a full ride.

"Villanova- Full ride/ no stipulations."

I'm not saying it's the greatest option but considering he isn't going to retake, at least the risk is minimal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:45 am

locthebloke wrote:OP, I hate to be inflammatory, but are either of these schools a *TOP 8* SCHOOL? NO. Do NOT go to law school if it is not a top 8 school or you have if you do not have friends/family/connections in the field who can secure a job for you upon graduation. I'm speaking as a former prospective law student who very recently became truly educated as to the nature of this scummy industry.

Cardozo is a JOKE. How do you expect to find a job in a climate where 45,000 new JDs are minted a year and the job market has 29,000 total legal jobs. As a graduate of Cardozo you will be competing with grads of NYU AND Columbia for New York jobs. You will not find employment!

Law schools use tricky and misleading employment and salary statistics to ensnare prospective students. Law professors make 6 figure salaries. How do they sleep at night knowing this and going into teach everyday facing countless students who will, in turn, be crippled with that many figures in non-dischargable debt and no job prospects.

The ABA are swine. They accredit these crapholes without requiring them to submit an independent audit of salary and employment figures.

Ha, I was right. You are the toilet blog guy.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
locthebloke wrote:OP, I hate to be inflammatory, but are either of these schools a *TOP 8* SCHOOL? NO. Do NOT go to law school if it is not a top 8 school or you have if you do not have friends/family/connections in the field who can secure a job for you upon graduation. I'm speaking as a former prospective law student who very recently became truly educated as to the nature of this scummy industry.

Yeah, I'd say he's got a recognizable writing style. At least no pictures of shit though.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 am

emarxnj wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Yeah, I'd say he's got a recognizable writing style. At least no pictures of shit though.
Agreed. Top 8 is a strange and arbitrary seeming cutoff.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:04 am

top30man wrote:Agreed. Top 8 is a strange and arbitrary seeming cutoff.
Out of UVA/Boalt/Penn, who makes the cut?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”