Seattle vs. Denver

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
robocall12

Seattle vs. Denver

Postby robocall12 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Should I select Seattle with $ or Denver at sticker?

Seattle accepted me and I've paid a deposit already. I love the area, would not mind living there for an extended period or forever. They have given me a small scholly with a terrible stipulation. I'd have to move.

Denver is a local school for me - no move. Accepted off the waitlist with no scholly - we're talking expensive! Allows me to continue to wait until the very last second to see if I can get into CU off the waitlist.

Thoughts?

Edit - Any thoughts regarding retake are not helpful. Retaking is not a possibility at this point.
Last edited by robocall12 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Seattle vs. Denver

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 pm

robocall12 wrote:Should I select Seattle with $ or Denver at sticker?

Seattle accepted me and I've paid a deposit already. I love the area, would not mind living there for an extended period or forever. They have given me a small scholly with a terrible stipulation. I'd have to move.

Denver is a local school for me - no move. Accepted off the waitlist with no scholly - we're talking expensive! Allows me to continue to wait until the very last second to see if I can get into CU off the waitlist.

Thoughts?

If taking it all out on loans sticker at DU or CU is a bad financial move.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If taking it all out on loans sticker at DU or CU is a bad financial move.

Yup.

I think you should select a PowerScore/Blueprint/TestMasters course and retake my dude

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm

McDuff - why do you say that? Especially regarding your school - CU? I am seriously curious because CU is the best law school in the region and I believe that any graduating student that did relatively well and has some decent drive to succeed should find success. I need to know because I will pay sticker at CU without blinking an eye if given the chance. Loans are another matter, and I tend to agree that maximum loans are a bad idea. Are you happy with the education that you are receiving from CU?

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

robocall12 wrote:I need to know because I will pay sticker at CU without blinking an eye if given the chance. Loans are another matter, and I tend to agree that maximum loans are a bad idea.

wut

robocall12

Postby robocall12 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

flem wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If taking it all out on loans sticker at DU or CU is a bad financial move.

Yup.

I think you should select a PowerScore/Blueprint/TestMasters course and retake my dude

My fault - I guess I should have stipulated that any feedback regarding retake is not helpful and has no chance of happening.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:04 pm

robocall12 wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup.

My fault - I guess I should have stipulated that any feedback regarding retake is not helpful and has no chance of happening.

Why not?

flem

Postby flem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:14 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
robocall12 wrote:My fault - I guess I should have stipulated that any feedback regarding retake is not helpful and has no chance of happening.

Why not?

Gotta get 'dat career goin' mah dude

Paying sticker or near sticker for these schools is insanity. If you're paying out of pocket somehow, that money would be better used elsewhere. If you're financing through loans that's sublime idiocy.

I don't mean to be a dick but looking at your profile and seeing this:

Application Year: 2012-2013
Chicago-Kent: Waitlisted
George Mason: Rejected
Gonzaga: Accepted
Gonzaga notes: $$
Lewis & Clark: Waitlisted
Pitt: Waitlisted
Seattle U: Accepted
Temple: Waitlisted
U of Colorado: Waitlisted
U of Denver: Waitlisted
U of Illinois: Waitlisted
U of Iowa: Waitlisted
U of Kansas: Waitlisted then accepted
U of Minnesota: Waitlisted
U of Missouri: Accepted
U of Missouri notes: Withdrew
U of Nebraska: Waitlisted
U of New Mexico: Rejected
U of New Mexico notes: WTF?
U of Oregon: Waitlisted
U of Utah: Rejected
U of Utah notes: NSWTFHH
UOP (McGeorge): Accepted
UOP (McGeorge) notes: Withdraw
William Mitchell: Accepted
William Mitchell notes: $$

Suggests you have crappy numbers. Retake the LSAT because you currently do not have the numbers to go to a law school worth going to at a price that is reasonable.

pballer

Postby pballer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:28 pm

robocall12 wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup.

The answer to Seattle with $ or Denver at sticker given that stipulation is "don't go to law school." Absent that stipulation, the answer is "retake the LSAT."

HTH

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Who knows how Manning is going to play in Denver, could be huge, but you have to wonder if he's 100%. Then again, an 80% Peyton is better than most. Seattle has a TON of work to do on both sides of the ball, I think Denver has the talent to beat them easily. Take Denver at -9.

Oh I'm sorry I only read the title. HTH.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
robocall12 wrote:My fault - I guess I should have stipulated that any feedback regarding retake is not helpful and has no chance of happening.

Why not?

Paying sticker or near sticker for these schools is insanity. If you're paying out of pocket somehow, that money would be better used elsewhere. If you're financing through loans that's sublime idiocy.

Suggests you have crappy numbers. Retake the LSAT because you currently do not have the numbers to go to a law school worth going to at a price that is reasonable.

Instead of spending all those application fees on mediocre schools, OP could have just bought an LSAT prep course to improve his score and gotten in for free.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 pm

flem wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

Why not?

JESUS I hope you got some fee waivers.

princeR

Postby princeR » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:55 pm

emarxnj wrote:Who knows how Manning is going to play in Denver, could be huge, but you have to wonder if he's 100%. Then again, an 80% Peyton is better than most. Seattle has a TON of work to do on both sides of the ball, I think Denver has the talent to beat them easily. Take Denver at -9.

Oh I'm sorry I only read the title. HTH.

I'm from Seattle and you could not be more wrong! We just pulled in Matt Flynn for our QB position, we have a beast of a running game, and a top 10 defense... we're gonna get 10 wins at least. OP, DO NOT go to Seattle U. I live in Seattle and not only is the legal market here in shambles, but UW owns this joint. Seattle U is a degree mill. Heed my warning!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:17 pm

robocall12 wrote:McDuff - why do you say that? Especially regarding your school - CU? I am seriously curious because CU is the best law school in the region and I believe that any graduating student that did relatively well and has some decent drive to succeed should find success. I need to know because I will pay sticker at CU without blinking an eye if given the chance. Loans are another matter, and I tend to agree that maximum loans are a bad idea. Are you happy with the education that you are receiving from CU?

CU is a phenomenal school and my experience here has been outstanding. CU is too expensive, though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:06 am

robocall12 wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup.

Do you have the financial acumen of a 12 yr old, or are you just an idiot?

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:00 am

OP, you should ask one of the tenured professors at CU what he thinks about your decision:
http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/

TopGunner180

Postby TopGunner180 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:18 am

Both are prime for outdoor enthusiast. You are fortunate to have such a great opportunity.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:28 am

I say go to CU. Denver has a handful of national firms that actively recruit at CU ( I got the info from NALP) DO extremely well at CU and with your ties to Denver I think you will be fine. Now, if you are wanting NYC biglaw or something I would retake, otherwise you will be fine as long as you do extremely well at CU

skers

Postby skers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am

msblaw89 wrote:I say go to CU. Denver has a handful of national firms that actively recruit at CU ( I got the info from NALP) DO extremely well at CU and with your ties to Denver I think you will be fine. Now, if you are wanting NYC biglaw or something I would retake, otherwise you will be fine as long as you do extremely well at CU

This is worthless advice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am

msblaw89 wrote:I say go to CU. Denver has a handful of national firms that actively recruit at CU ( I got the info from NALP) DO extremely well at CU and with your ties to Denver I think you will be fine. Now, if you are wanting NYC biglaw or something I would retake, otherwise you will be fine as long as you do extremely well at CU

lol wut

skers

Postby skers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:54 am

rad lulz wrote:

lol wut

Bro, he shouldn't worry. He's fine as long as he's top ten percent. NBD.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:05 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

lol wut

Bro, he shouldn't worry. He's fine as long as he's top ten percent. NBD.

Yeah true. I hear it's pretty easy to get top 10% as long as you work, like, REALLY REALLY hard.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Here's a nice little Bayesian calculation for a stats ninja:

(a) The median correlation between GPA/LSAT qualifications and law school grades is .48

(b) An admitted student has GPA/LSAT qualifications in the bottom 10% of matriculating students at Law School A

What is the probability that this student will finish in the top 10% of the class at Law School A?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Haha people didn't read the thread. Dude didn't get into CU. if he does get in, I'd recommend not going unless he wants to be a broke lawyer for the next X years depending on debt. Same goes for all these schools. Expected outcome for sticker with no money in the bank should be 150k debt with a 60k job. Some people want that and that's cool. I mean, seems like everyone is in debt nowadays and if you really want to practice law that's fine. Just know what the expected outcome is going in. I don't doubt that that CU gets the better jobs in the state because I've seen that, but if the expected outcome at DU is 45k instead of 60k it really doesn't change anything. Both dudes are starting out totally broke. That should be the takeaway.

Don't plan on being in the top ten percent, grades are so random. I was above median in two classes and below in the other two last semester, without a clue as to why. This is normal.

Probably dont go to law school.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Haha people didn't read the thread. Dude didn't get into CU. if he does get in, I'd recommend not going unless he wants to be a broke lawyer for the next X years depending on debt. Same goes for all these schools. Expected outcome for sticker with no money in the bank should be 150k debt with a 60k job. Some people want that and that's cool. I mean, seems like everyone is in debt nowadays and if you really want to practice law that's fine. Just know what the expected outcome is going in. I don't doubt that that CU gets the better jobs in the state because I've seen that, but if the expected outcome at DU is 45k instead of 60k it really doesn't change anything. Both dudes are starting out totally broke. That should be the takeaway.

Don't plan on being in the top ten percent, grades are so random. I was above median in two classes and below in the other two last semester, without a clue as to why. This is normal.

Probably dont go to law school.

I don't consider 40,000 to 60,000 even with 150,000 in debt really "totally broke." ESPECIALLY if you are single. Totally broke is like living on less than 15,000 per year. This does depend on the state your in though.
Last edited by RedBirds2011 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”