GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justitiasuperomnia
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm

GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby justitiasuperomnia » Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 pm

2nd deposit is due at GULC tomorrow.

Just got into Vandy w/ $54k this morning.

Want to stay in SE, clerk at lease 1 year afterwards, then prob biglaw it.

Love DC and Nashvegas, have visited both campuses.

Still on UVa waitlist and would drop everything to go there.

Thoughts? And no, I can't retake the LSAT.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Vandy! The money and your love of the SE swing the vote in its favor because of similar placement due to GULC's huge class size.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby akili » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Vandy. Cheaper and lower COL + desire to stay in the SE.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby MormonChristian » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

justitiasuperomnia wrote:2nd deposit is due at GULC tomorrow.

Just got into Vandy w/ $54k this morning.

Want to stay in SE, clerk at lease 1 year afterwards, then prob biglaw it.

Love DC and Nashvegas, have visited both campuses.

Still on UVa waitlist and would drop everything to go there.

Thoughts? And no, I can't retake the LSAT.



GULC if you are OK with lots of debt. Nashvegas if you aren't.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby gaud » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

I'd take Vandy

justitiasuperomnia
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby justitiasuperomnia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for your responses thus far.

Brief update:
E-mailed GULC re: Vandy acceptance and scholarship offer - they have temporarily extended my deposit deadline and will let me know if they can do anything in the way of incentives/funding.

Have spoken with a rep from Vandy who has bent over backwards/been very helpful answering questions. Not pushy at all and very friendly.

Other factors:
1- I am considering a joint JD/MBA, and while structure is the same, Gtown has a larger/better established joint program and is ranked 1 place higher USNWR (plus it is T14 LS).

2- I may very well ultimately want to work in DC and have professional/family ties there (but I know myself enough to know I don't know); I like the idea of max. portability, just in case.

3- Did not love GULC when I visited, especially since isolated from Gtown proper, whereas loved Vandy and appreciate smaller school/smaller city.

4- Have professional/family/current student ties in Nashville.

5- The amount of debt I am about to take on, regardless of what school it is, is (appropriately) unsettling.

I am still split 50/50. I don't rightly know...

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 am

justitiasuperomnia wrote:Thanks for your responses thus far.

Brief update:
E-mailed GULC re: Vandy acceptance and scholarship offer - they have temporarily extended my deposit deadline and will let me know if they can do anything in the way of incentives/funding.

Have spoken with a rep from Vandy who has bent over backwards/been very helpful answering questions. Not pushy at all and very friendly.

Other factors:
1- I am considering a joint JD/MBA, and while structure is the same, Gtown has a larger/better established joint program and is ranked 1 place higher USNWR (plus it is T14 LS).

2- I may very well ultimately want to work in DC and have professional/family ties there (but I know myself enough to know I don't know); I like the idea of max. portability, just in case.

3- Did not love GULC when I visited, especially since isolated from Gtown proper, whereas loved Vandy and appreciate smaller school/smaller city.

4- Have professional/family/current student ties in Nashville.

5- The amount of debt I am about to take on, regardless of what school it is, is (appropriately) unsettling.

I am still split 50/50. I don't rightly know...


Ties to Nashville with Vandy sound pretty damn good, no?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 am

Personally I would have chosen Vandy over GULC without the money involved (was WL at GULC in 2008, took 45k at Vandy). I also did not not love the school when I visited, and loved Vandy, though I don't think this should be a consideration.

I sincerely question whether GULC or Vandy are worth full price right now, and Vandy with 18k is not a slam dunk worth-wise either. Prices will come down in the next few years.

justitiasuperomnia
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby justitiasuperomnia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Withdrew from GULC today. Had to go with my gut. Thanks for your comments!

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm

If you're trying to work in the Southeast it's basically foolish to go to GULC in your situation. Southeastern firms won't go deeper into the class at GULC than Vandy AND you've been given a 54K a year scholarship from Vandy while you don't have anything from GULC. Don't even consider GULC.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:59 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:Personally I would have chosen Vandy over GULC without the money involved (was WL at GULC in 2008, took 45k at Vandy). I also did not not love the school when I visited, and loved Vandy, though I don't think this should be a consideration.

I sincerely question whether GULC or Vandy are worth full price right now, and Vandy with 18k is not a slam dunk worth-wise either. Prices will come down in the next few years.

Agree 100% with this, but going w Vandy is certainly not stupid for you, OP.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: GULC @ Sticker or Vandy w/ $18k/year?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:12 pm

In case you're experiencing buyer's remorse, Vanderbilt with $54,000 is the better option in your situation.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alive97, SweetTort and 6 guests