Acceptance Questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
marlins588
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

Acceptance Questions

Postby marlins588 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:22 am

Hi everyone,

Although I've never posted on the board before, I've been reading many threads, and thank you to everyone who posts and helps.

I have three questions relating to possibly accepting an admission offer.

-I am pretty set on one school. I've given a deposit, and I'd like to give the other deposit when due in the next few weeks. Although I am fairly set, the deposit form asks if I am definite, and if not, what my decision is contingent on. If I tell the truth and either write in that it is dependent on getting into another school or reviewing financials, is there any chance they can rescind my offer? If I do not put that I am definitely attending, am I putting my seat at risk, even if only slightly, or is it still guaranteed? If I tell the truth and write in what may be preventing me from going, will the school ever act on that to get the student to become a definite?

-There is a second school that recently asked if they should review more for more funding. They want to know if I am still interested in the school. Although I am pretty set on the original school, if I ask this school to review me (since it could affect my decision), will the original school that I am pretty set on find out about this?

-Both schools know and have my lsac info, so will either school update it, informing the other schools that I am still considering other ones (and which ones), and that I am still in contact with both schools. I don't want either school to potentially see this, realize I may not be serious, and rescind my offer.

Thank you.

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby answer23 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 am

marlins588 wrote:Hi everyone,

Although I've never posted on the board before, I've been reading many threads, and thank you to everyone who posts and helps.

I have three questions relating to possibly accepting an admission offer.

-I am pretty set on one school. I've given a deposit, and I'd like to give the other deposit when due in the next few weeks. Although I am fairly set, the deposit form asks if I am definite, and if not, what my decision is contingent on. If I tell the truth and either write in that it is dependent on getting into another school or reviewing financials, is there any chance they can rescind my offer? If I do not put that I am definitely attending, am I putting my seat at risk, even if only slightly, or is it still guaranteed? If I tell the truth and write in what may be preventing me from going, will the school ever act on that to get the student to become a definite?

-There is a second school that recently asked if they should review more for more funding. They want to know if I am still interested in the school. Although I am pretty set on the original school, if I ask this school to review me (since it could affect my decision), will the original school that I am pretty set on find out about this?

-Both schools know and have my lsac info, so will either school update it, informing the other schools that I am still considering other ones (and which ones), and that I am still in contact with both schools. I don't want either school to potentially see this, realize I may not be serious, and rescind my offer.

Thank you.

Zero chance of either school rescinding your offer. They need to know in order to anticipate how much seats they’ll have open for their waitlist. Disclose everything. Try negotiate scholarships by using one against the other.

marlins588
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby marlins588 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

If I tell the school I will likely attend (a worse ranked school) that has offered less that I'm considering a tier two because of financials, there definitely is no chance they can take back my offer and not guarantee a spot since I am not guaranteeing them one? I fear they may say that they don't need me and that I should just go to the tier twi school rather than "play games" with the better school, even though I'm just trying to find what is possible financially. Is there any chance that if they see I am not definite, they can increase my offer?

Thanks.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am

marlins588 wrote:If I tell the school I will likely attend (a worse ranked school) that has offered less that I'm considering a tier two because of financials, there definitely is no chance they can take back my offer and not guarantee a spot since I am not guaranteeing them one? I fear they may say that they don't need me and that I should just go to the tier twi school rather than "play games" with the better school, even though I'm just trying to find what is possible financially. Is there any chance that if they see I am not definite, they can increase my offer?

Thanks.


The bolded happened to me and changed my decision. If you really aren't sure, tell them why. If money is the issue, say so. They may give you more.

marlins588
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby marlins588 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 am

Thank you so much. So is the school's offer still binding and guaranteed regardless of what I write or where I stand in committing?

User avatar
modus pwnens
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby modus pwnens » Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 am

Marlin: I recently had the same issue, but after some advice from TLS decided to give it a shot anyway. The lower-ranked school was offering slightly more money, and is a regional competitor for students with my preferred school. I sent the Dean of Admissions an email detailing my financial concerns and the offer I had from the lesser-ranked school, and received back an email saying that no, they don't have any more money for me, and that he hoped I enjoyed my time at OtherSchool.

I worried a bit until I realized that there wasn't any talk of a rescind, and sent him back a nice note saying that after a long weekend's thought I had decided on HigherRankedSchool after all, and that my deposit was forthcoming. He immediately (within five minutes) emailed me to congratulate me on choosing them and that they'll be delighted to see me in the fall.

tl;dr: Fortune favors the bold. Ask for the money. They won't rescind you (has anyone ever heard of a school rescinding an acceptance just because you negotiated money?).

marlins588
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby marlins588 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 am

Or rescinding not just for asking for money but for indicating on a deposit form that I'm not definite and still looking at another school that might make more financial sense?

Also - do the schools that I deposit to or tell I am considering input the info to lsac, so all the schools can view my true status and position?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby 2014 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 pm

They might be able to see that you still have an open application with the other school, but they would never be able to find out the communications between you and that school. The only issue would come if you placed a deposit down at a second school. You don't really have anything to worry about, they will let you know if they want you to withdraw all other applications and if they haven't you shouldn't worry about facing negative consequences.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

marlins588 wrote:Or rescinding not just for asking for money but for indicating on a deposit form that I'm not definite and still looking at another school that might make more financial sense?

Also - do the schools that I deposit to or tell I am considering input the info to lsac, so all the schools can view my true status and position?


They won't rescind. You're just trying to get the best offer. Schools understand that.

LSAC only knows where you are depositing money, not whether you are negotiating with them.

marlins588
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Acceptance Questions

Postby marlins588 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Is there anything that says that at this point, if I do not check definitely attending with the deposit and only check maybe (whether because of another school or financials), the school has the ability to rescind the offer? At this point, if I do not commit, can they take back the offer, so they can take someone off the waitlist and figure out the class as soon as possible?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dante181, TheSpanishMain and 3 guests