Best law school to attend if i want to work in SoCal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jjyammer

Best law school to attend if i want to work in SoCal

Postby jjyammer » Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

this post can no longer accept entries
Last edited by jjyammer on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real Madrid

Re: Best law school to attend if i want to work in SoCal

Postby Real Madrid » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Do you have ties? If not, I would guess:

Berkeley > Columbia/Chicago >>> NYU, Penn, UVA, Michigan, Duke, NU, Cornell, UCLA > Georgetown

But I'm sure some recent OCI participants can shed better light on the subject.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Do you have ties? If not, I would guess:

Berkeley > Columbia/Chicago >>> NYU, Penn, UVA, Michigan, Duke, NU, Cornell, UCLA > Georgetown

USC is probably equal or better than Cornell, Georgetown, and UCLA

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed May 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Scholarship money is not "short term" -- that loan of yours is going to be looming over your head in terms of net income for the next ten years.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Going to ignore your criteria and say Stanford.

jjyammer

Postby jjyammer » Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 pm

anything between a set of arrows you equate as equal, correct me if I am wrong?

jjyammer

Postby jjyammer » Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Scholarship money is not "short term" -- that loan of yours is going to be looming over your head in terms of net income for the next ten years.

let’s draw up a scenario

let’s say the law school without scholarship totaled 250000 after 3 years. 250000 over 10 years, factoring in interest, is 34,500 a year. If i am hired by a private big law firm my salary will be 160000 with a bonus of about 40000 just for the first two years. Then i could expect a raise in salary and bonus. On the federal income tax bracket ill either fall into the 28% bracket or if I am married and my wife has decent job well fall into the 33% bracket. I’ll be or my wife and I will pull in 100,000 after expenses (vacation, food, rent, car, gas, etc.). Obviously this is if everything goes according to plan. i do not want to digress from the main issue at hand. please do not comment on this but do comment on my original question.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 pm

jjyammer wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Scholarship money is not "short term" -- that loan of yours is going to be looming over your head in terms of net income for the next ten years.

let’s draw up a scenario

let’s say the law school without scholarship totaled 250000 after 3 years. 250000 over 10 years, factoring in interest, is 34,500 a year. If i am hired by a private big law firm my salary will be 160000 with a bonus of about 40000 just for the first two years. Then i could expect a raise in salary and bonus. On the federal income tax bracket ill either fall into the 28% bracket or if I am married and my wife has decent job well fall into the 33% bracket. I’ll be or my wife and I will pull in 100,000 after expenses (vacation, food, rent, car, gas, etc.). Obviously this is if everything goes according to plan. i do not want to digress from the main issue at hand. please do not comment on this but do comment on my original question.

HA HAAAAA!

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 pm

I would think that UCLA would outperform Cornell, Northwestern, Duke, and maybe Michigan and Virginia too, but that's a guess.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 pm

jjyammer wrote:

let’s draw up a scenario

lulzzzzzzz

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed May 30, 2012 11:23 pm

not true. UVA places more into the SoCal market then UCLA (percentage wise of how many want to go not actual numbers wise)

I can't speak for the rest of that.
kwais wrote:

I would think that UCLA would outperform Cornell, Northwestern, Duke, and maybe Michigan and Virginia too, but that's a guess.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:not true. UVA places more into the SoCal market then UCLA (percentage wise of how many want to go not actual numbers wise)

I can't speak for the rest of that.
kwais wrote:

not sure this tells us much. if 20-30 of virginia's better students want socal then their percentage is going to be higher than UCLA's. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's the better school for socal. I made up these numbers, but you know what I mean

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:44 am

lol at 20K bonus for first-years.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:20 pm

jjyammer wrote:

let’s draw up a scenario

Cool. While you're counting on all that, also make sure to bet on the fact that the currency will be inflated at 30-50% so that you're making like, 400k a year 5 years from now. You should have no problem paying off student loans.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:25 pm

I would go to the highest ranked school because SoCal is not a magnificant market right now....but I would guess Cal and Stanford are considered the super elite schools in Cal. I do not think Cal has a problem placing in SoCal

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:37 pm

This hierarchy is a pile of dog shit. Are you this stupid IRL or is this some sort of shtick?

tlsalltheway

Postby tlsalltheway » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Stanford or Berkeley if you want California...

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:10 pm

jjyammer wrote:

let’s draw up a scenario

So many "if" statements.

I'm glad you're thinking long-term. Leave the scholarship money for all the short-term fools...

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:

This hierarchy is a pile of dog shit. Are you this stupid IRL or is this some sort of shtick?

Stop stalking my posts and flaming Berkeley just because you got rejected. Not my fault, nor is it my problem.

And this "hierarchy" hasn't been contradicted yet despite the fact that some people ITT have been through OCI.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Real Madrid wrote:And this "hierarchy" hasn't been contradicted yet despite the fact that some people ITT have been through OCI.

:?

kwais wrote:I would think that UCLA would outperform Cornell, Northwestern, Duke, and maybe Michigan and Virginia too, but that's a guess.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Bronck wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:And this "hierarchy" hasn't been contradicted yet despite the fact that some people ITT have been through OCI.

:?

Real Madrid wrote:Stop stalking my posts and flaming Berkeley just because you got rejected. Not my fault, nor is it my problem.

Don't flatter yourself. Your posts are legitimately stupid.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm

im too lazy to look where, but there is a site that breaks down where top schools place in terms of nlj250 firm %s

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm

OK here it is. u can essentially filter by ANY values u want. u have to play around with it a little but i think it should be useful for u.

for example, here i filtered by CA firms that are represented by UCLA grads:
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

u can also leave one category blank, for example, here are law schools represented in all of LA:
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 pm

here is a good one -> look at latham breakdown:

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 20&g=2&p=2

appears UCLA Berkeley and USC are top (excluding HYS). but note there is prolly self-selection, i.e. more people from Columbia could of came out to latham in LA but decided to stay in NYC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”