GW 30k/year vs fordham 20k/year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
colforbin

GW 30k/year vs fordham 20k/year

Postby colforbin » Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I have a scholarship at GW for 30k/year and one at Fordham for 20k/year. At approx. 75k/year total cost of attendance at each, I'd be in the hole 135k at GW and 165k at Fordham (these numbers are rough estimates, but are close enough for now). It would be crazy to enroll at either school, correct? Thanks

chuckbass

Re: GW 30k/year vs fordham 20k/year

Postby chuckbass » Wed May 30, 2012 3:49 pm

If you want to work in DC, GW
If you want to work in NYC, Fordham

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Pick your poison. If you got 30k from gw then you should get a full ride at either American/w&m/W&L/gm. For Fordham you should get full rides at Brooklyn/Cardozo. Or at least sticker at a t-14. You are still looking at 165k+ interest at Fordham and 135k plus interest at gw. Not the most excellent choices.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 pm

scotth724 wrote:If you want to work in DC, GW
If you want to work in NYC, Fordham

TITCR
If you don't know which city you prefer, go to the cheaper one

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 pm

answer23 wrote:Pick your poison. If you got 30k from gw then you should get a full ride at either American/w&m/W&L/gm. For Fordham you should get full rides at Brooklyn/Cardozo. Or at least sticker at a t-14. You are still looking at 165k+ interest at Fordham and 135k plus interest at gw. Not the most excellent choices.

Credited. I would go to neither of those with that amount of debt.

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am

a bump, which does tls think is worse:

going to gw to get to nyc?
or going to fordham to get dc?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am

GokartMozart315 wrote:a bump, which does tls think is worse:

Fordham for DC but both are terrible ideas unless you're IP

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am

GokartMozart315 wrote:a bump, which does tls think is worse:

DC is the toughest market to crack, even from a T-14.

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 am

thanks is what i suspected, which is why i'm most likely picking fordham. out of curiousity, thoughts on why dc is so competitive? would've thought there are enough jobs to go around given the proportionately lower demand compared to ny

flem

Postby flem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:43 am

GokartMozart315 wrote:thanks is what i suspected, which is why i'm most likely picking fordham. out of curiousity, thoughts on why dc is so competitive? would've thought there are enough jobs to go around given the proportionately lower demand compared to ny

Smaller market, Georgetown and GW graduate like 1200 kids combined a year, every T14 grad wants to work there, etc

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:18 pm

thanks tflem. this makes me sad, always wanted to make my legal career in dc but it seems gw would leave it really tough to do, whereas fordham could help me place well in nyc

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:42 am

just to give this thread some closure: i ended up picking gw! dc is my target market, and ny my secondary. i'll need to do very well at either school to get a decent job, but it looks like gw gives me more flexibility geographically. i also liked the school better, and they upped their scholly to 60k which didn't hurt. finally, i like the school far better overall, from the environment to the friendly administration to the students who seem less competitive than fordham, esp for those firm jobs. didn't help that i was told only 2/3 of fordham 3L LR even got jobs at all so far...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 am

GokartMozart315 wrote:thanks is what i suspected, which is why i'm most likely picking fordham. out of curiousity, thoughts on why dc is so competitive? would've thought there are enough jobs to go around given the proportionately lower demand compared to ny

Just incidentally, there are nowhere near enough legal jobs to go around anywhere. Like less than half of grads are getting real legal jobs. I wouldn't take out the debt you're going into for GW.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 am

Good luck paying back those loans.

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm

no mercy for the weary on here...you guys are right but after doing a lot of number-parsing, this is equally true for both gw and fordham. rad lulz, like you said the market sucks everywhere, might as well aim for my preferred market and shoot for secondary at the same time. as i explained earlier, i made the choice to go to law school (almost) irrespective of which school to attend, and that decision remains. at this point i doubt cornell will let me off reserve.

also i honestly wouldn't be comfortable taking out a penny of debt for any education, and thankfully my tuition and costs will all be covered. that said, i negotiated one last round with both schools, and got 22k a year from gw and 10k from fordham. total tuition after schollys and negotiation for 3 years of gw is 69k, fordham would've been 115k, so on that front a slightly preferable outcome.

rather than pouring out the haterade on a decision already made, want to throw some tips as to how to network and aim for big firm jobs (in addition to good grades)?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:19 pm

GokartMozart315 wrote:no mercy for the weary on here...you guys are right but after doing a lot of number-parsing, this is equally true for both gw and fordham. rad lulz, like you said the market sucks everywhere, might as well aim for my preferred market and shoot for secondary at the same time. as i explained earlier, i made the choice to go to law school (almost) irrespective of which school to attend, and that decision remains. at this point i doubt cornell will let me off reserve.

also i honestly wouldn't be comfortable taking out a penny of debt for any education, and thankfully my tuition and costs will all be covered. that said, i negotiated one last round with both schools, and got 22k a year from gw and 10k from fordham. total tuition after schollys and negotiation for 3 years of gw is 69k, fordham would've been 115k, so on that front a slightly preferable outcome.

rather than pouring out the haterade on a decision already made, want to throw some tips as to how to network and aim for big firm jobs (in addition to good grades)?

As a 1L, just do this. Ignore the extracurriculars, and for god's sake stay away from student government (time suck, pointless, before I came to LS I thought they only did this in highschool). Also, at the end of 1L, if your school does any sort of writing/grade combination for LR/journals, gun like you've never gunned before (LR can make up for not-stellar grades at OCI). Otherwise, just pray you're one of the lucky ones who gets law school quick enough to do well 1L year.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 pm

GokartMozart315 wrote:rather than pouring out the haterade on a decision already made, want to throw some tips as to how to network and aim for big firm jobs (in addition to good grades)?

I just finished my 1L there year, so I can only give you advice on how to do well. Fortunately, it's pretty simple: make getting good grades your highest priority. That does not mean you have to be in the library every spare moment (though lots of them help); rather, it means you have to spend your law school related time doing only things which will help you on law school exams, because that's essentially the only way which you are evaluated. There is plenty of information on that on TLS already, and I'd recommend reading it, as well as Getting to Maybe and doing LEEWS (so you know the kind of information that will be useful on an exam). I firmly believe that most of the people who do very well do so because they wanted it the more than those who did not. Just try not to be an asshole about it, and help people if they ask for it.

GokartMozart315

Postby GokartMozart315 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm

thanks a lot, very helpful and lines up with the consensus i've seen, with some additional insights too. thanks!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am

FlanSolo wrote:
GokartMozart315 wrote:rather than pouring out the haterade on a decision already made, want to throw some tips as to how to network and aim for big firm jobs (in addition to good grades)?

I just finished my 1L there year, so I can only give you advice on how to do well. Fortunately, it's pretty simple: make getting good grades your highest priority. That does not mean you have to be in the library every spare moment (though lots of them help); rather, it means you have to spend your law school related time doing only things which will help you on law school exams, because that's essentially the only way which you are evaluated. There is plenty of information on that on TLS already, and I'd recommend reading it, as well as Getting to Maybe and doing LEEWS (so you know the kind of information that will be useful on an exam). I firmly believe that most of the people who do very well do so because they wanted it the more than those who did not. Just try not to be an asshole about it, and help people if they ask for it.

+1. I'd also add, pay attention to what your professor wants on exams and pay attention in class. I did the worst in a class where I paid the least amount of attention in. Also, find what works for you. I found what worked best was largely what I did in undergrad - pay attention in class, memorize everything and have everything organized. I am a very organized studier - was this way in college too.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”