UH($$) vs GW vs WashU ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

GW at 0 scholarship (>200K)
17%
WashU 23k/year (~120K)
42%
University of Houston 15k/year (60k)
42%

Total votes: 12

sjhugz

UH($$) vs GW vs WashU ($)

Postby sjhugz » Wed May 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a splitter that somehow got into a number of schools and lucked out. I've cut it down to these three schools. I would like to work in DC or Chicago but Houston isn't a terrible choice since I currently live here. Ideally, I would like biglaw, however general TLS consensus states that the odds are stacked against me.

I'm also on the waitlist at UVA but since it is a one-by-one basis I can only fight and hope to get lucky. Plus it appears several hundred people are waitlisted along with me :D

I'm sure this boils down to a few things. Where I would like to work, the debt I'm willing to handle... I would appreciate any input since the deposit deadlines are coming up very soon.

rickgrimes69

Re: UH($$) vs GW vs WashU ($)

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Only do UH if you're sure you want to work in Houston. It won't carry outside of Texas, but with that scholly and the low COL that debt could be serviceable.

Neither GW nor WashU is worth what you'd be paying, IMO. I'd say fight for more money from WashU or pray that UVA bites.

utlaw2007

Re: UH($$) vs GW vs WashU ($)

Postby utlaw2007 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:Only do UH if you're sure you want to work in Houston. It won't carry outside of Texas, but with that scholly and the low COL that debt could be serviceable.

Neither GW nor WashU is worth what you'd be paying, IMO. I'd say fight for more money from WashU or pray that UVA bites.

Agreed. U of H won't get you anything outside of Houston, not even Dallas or Austin. SMU has Dallas on lock down after UT. But U of H has a great rep in Houston. I'm not sure what biglaw prospects are. You would have to place high in the class.

I also agree that the debt you would have from the other two schools is a lot and may not be worth it. I'd go to U of H over your other options if nothing changed. But if you go to U of H, you're stuck in Houston. But I am from Houston and have lived here all my life. I love it here. So Houston is not a bad place to be.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”