Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am

f0bolous wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:While the T14 doesn't have a monopoly on bigfirm work, they almost do when it comes to clerkships. I'm at BU here, and I believe we have 10 federal clerks upcoming, which puts as at about 3-4% of the class. To get a clerkship from a non-top school, you will need: ludicrous grades (like top 10 students, not %); serious connections; or ties to a less-competitive state...


I'm not too sure about that. After HYS, clerkship placement seems to hover around 10% for most schools in the top 30 or so. If anything, clerkships are more grade-whorish and less prestige conscious.


Not for fed clerk spots... even the lower T14 doesn't place 10% or higher in fed spots. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181415

DevilDaze
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby DevilDaze » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:06 am

Blindmelon wrote:
DevilDaze wrote:Blindmelon, I am a rising 2L at BU somewhere around top 15-20%. I wonder if you had any advice on bidding for OCI. What firms to target, etc...


Market?
Law Review/Other Journal?
Work Experience?


I don't really care about market. I'd love to go to D.C. or San Francisco but I know those are not real possibilities. I would also be very happy in Boston or New York. Do you know of any students who have had success in secondary markets? I don't know about journals until next month.

I have a couple years of work experience in finance & sales.

Thanks in advance for any input.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 am

DevilDaze wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
DevilDaze wrote:Blindmelon, I am a rising 2L at BU somewhere around top 15-20%. I wonder if you had any advice on bidding for OCI. What firms to target, etc...


Market?
Law Review/Other Journal?
Work Experience?


I don't really care about market. I'd love to go to D.C. or San Francisco but I know those are not real possibilities. I would also be very happy in Boston or New York. Do you know of any students who have had success in secondary markets? I don't know about journals until next month.

I have a couple years of work experience in finance & sales.

Thanks in advance for any input.


Your WE might make you unpredictable. Once you hear about journals, PM me. If you hit LR, San Fran and DC are a possibility (although tough). If a secondary journal, you should be able to hit one of WH/GP/R+G in Boston, or a generic V30 or whatever in NYC. If no journal, then you will be really unpredictable, but I think you would be fine - play up your WE, it will make you unique - just emphasize you want to do transaction, not lit.

DevilDaze
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby DevilDaze » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 am

Blindmelon wrote:
DevilDaze wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
DevilDaze wrote:Blindmelon, I am a rising 2L at BU somewhere around top 15-20%. I wonder if you had any advice on bidding for OCI. What firms to target, etc...


Market?
Law Review/Other Journal?
Work Experience?


I don't really care about market. I'd love to go to D.C. or San Francisco but I know those are not real possibilities. I would also be very happy in Boston or New York. Do you know of any students who have had success in secondary markets? I don't know about journals until next month.

I have a couple years of work experience in finance & sales.

Thanks in advance for any input.


Your WE might make you unpredictable. Once you hear about journals, PM me. If you hit LR, San Fran and DC are a possibility (although tough). If a secondary journal, you should be able to hit one of WH/GP/R+G in Boston, or a generic V30 or whatever in NYC. If no journal, then you will be really unpredictable, but I think you would be fine - play up your WE, it will make you unique - just emphasize you want to do transaction, not lit.
s

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I was going to PM you in the first place but it seems as if you have that function turned off. Either that or I am just a moron and couldn't figure out how to PM you.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:03 pm

DevilDaze wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I was going to PM you in the first place but it seems as if you have that function turned off. Either that or I am just a moron and couldn't figure out how to PM you.


I turned my PM off when I got a few weird ones, I'll put it back on.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:00 pm

two years back CU had a bunch of people from surrounding rural states graduate and get federal clerkships back home. States like Wyoming, NM, Kansas, etc. 9.5% of the class - http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -news.html

link is somewhat helpful but contains many inaccuracies. (pretty much every school outside the top 5 who reported the same amount of Art. III clerks and non Art. III clerks were confused by the difference between the two)

however, when schools like Colorado, UMN, and Arizona report decent clerkship numbers it is misleading-- these are often not the clerkships that you would be able to get; these are people from Wyoming getting a Fed Clerkship back home even though they didn't have top grades.

don't go to law school because you want to be an Art. III clerk

jstr00az
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 am

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby jstr00az » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 pm

I heard once that someone at Arizona State University got an interview with some judge on the Ninth Circuit CoA. Didn't get it. Everyone was sad. So there's that.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Best T20 - T60 Schools for Clerkships?

Postby splitbrain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Asking which non-top school is best for clerkships is kinda like asking which vespa is best for drag racing. Retake.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests