Tier-4 Email Attack

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheJanitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby TheJanitor » Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 pm

A friend has been getting an amazing amount of email from tier-4 law schools (especially Regent and Dayton). The emails usually tell him that his academic record is hard to ignore or they are amazed by his academic performance, then beg him to apply. The problem is that he has a terrible academic record. His LSAT is 135 and his GPA is 2.8, which means that these tier-4 schools are clearly full of crap. I have done some research and heard two different theories: (1) Tier-4 law schools are so hard up for money that they are willing to accept anyone for the MONEY; (2) Law schools want people to apply for the express purpose of rejecting their application so their admissions will look more selective. Which is it, or am I way off? I hate to see my friend get hurt either way.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm

TheJanitor wrote:I have done some research and heard two different theories: (1) Tier-4 law schools are so hard up for money that they are willing to accept anyone for the MONEY; (2) Law schools want people to apply for the express purpose of rejecting their application so their admissions will look more selective. Which is it, or am I way off? I hate to see my friend get hurt either way.

Both theories are correct. What is definitely not true is that your friend has a good academic record or is likely to be successful in a legal career.

TheJanitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby TheJanitor » Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
TheJanitor wrote:I have done some research and heard two different theories: (1) Tier-4 law schools are so hard up for money that they are willing to accept anyone for the MONEY; (2) Law schools want people to apply for the express purpose of rejecting their application so their admissions will look more selective. Which is it, or am I way off? I hate to see my friend get hurt either way.

Both theories are correct. What is definitely not true is that your friend has a good academic record or is likely to be successful in a legal career.


I know that and you know that, but it is really hard to tell a friend that he doesn't belong in the legal profession.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 11:37 pm

TheJanitor wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
TheJanitor wrote:I have done some research and heard two different theories: (1) Tier-4 law schools are so hard up for money that they are willing to accept anyone for the MONEY; (2) Law schools want people to apply for the express purpose of rejecting their application so their admissions will look more selective. Which is it, or am I way off? I hate to see my friend get hurt either way.

Both theories are correct. What is definitely not true is that your friend has a good academic record or is likely to be successful in a legal career.


I know that and you know that, but it is really hard to tell a friend that he doesn't belong in the legal profession.


The 2.8 Gpa really isn't what I would be worried about. I would worry about that 135 LSAT that could possibly indicate a terrible time in law school.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 pm

He is exactly the kind of student those schools target. If they can get him to apply, it's a win-win situation. If they reject him, he boosts their acceptance rate; if they accept him, he'll be one of the few who pay full-tuition. I'm sure all of these schools accept a few non-URMs below both medians for that reason.

Alternatively, perhaps they're so desperate this cycle, since application numbers are so far down, that they will truly accept anyone with a pulse / student loan access - that was always a bit of an exaggeration in past cycles.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:He is exactly the kind of student those schools target. If they can get him to apply, it's a win-win situation. If they reject him, he boosts their acceptance rate; if they accept him, he'll be one of the few who pay full-tuition. I'm sure all of these schools accept a few non-URMs below both medians for that reason.

Alternatively, perhaps they're so desperate this cycle, since application numbers are so far down, that they will truly accept anyone with a pulse / student loan access - that was always a bit of an exaggeration in past cycles.


They're getting close:

http://dayton.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby justicefishy » Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:He is exactly the kind of student those schools target. If they can get him to apply, it's a win-win situation. If they reject him, he boosts their acceptance rate; if they accept him, he'll be one of the few who pay full-tuition. I'm sure all of these schools accept a few non-URMs below both medians for that reason.

Alternatively, perhaps they're so desperate this cycle, since application numbers are so far down, that they will truly accept anyone with a pulse / student loan access - that was always a bit of an exaggeration in past cycles.


They're getting close:

http://dayton.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats


Yeah, down 20%-30% at least on LSN from the past few years.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Tom Joad » Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 am

The sad thing is they would probably take him and that would be worse for him than getting rejected.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Nova » Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 am

Is he retaking? Or applying to these schools?

Tom Joad wrote:The sad thing is they would probably take him and that would be worse for him than getting rejected.


Lol true.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby minnbills » Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 am

My dad is an administrator with a university that also has a T4 law school. He told me, after having a conversation with the dean the other day, that they "can't give it away."

He says they're making huge cuts to the school and there has been some talk of closing it. FWIW he thinks it's a myth that these school are big moneymakers.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Tom Joad » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 am

minnbills wrote:My dad is an administrator with a university that also has a T4 law school. He told me, after having a conversation with the dean the other day, that they "can't give it away."

He says they're making huge cuts to the school and there has been some talk of closing it. FWIW he thinks it's a myth that these school are big moneymakers.

My faith in humanity, expressed as a percentage before reading this post: .01%

My faith in humanity, expressed as a percentage after reading this post: 1.01%

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Mista Bojangles » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 am

I get all the same Regent emails, FWIW. I've received literally a couple dozen from them at this point since applications opened in September. My assumption is that they spam those emails to anybody whose email they've gotten their hands on, regardless of numbers.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Nova » Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:I get all the same Regent emails, FWIW. I've received literally a couple dozen from them at this point since applications opened in September. My assumption is that they spam those emails to anybody whose email they've gotten their hands on, regardless of numbers.


True. I got 20ish from Valparaiso before realized I should have unsubscribed a long time ago.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 am

I'm still getting emails from Regent and my cycle was last year.

Which probably says as much about my sheer laziness as about their persistence.

User avatar
jessedvhs
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby jessedvhs » Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 am

Haven't received a Cooley mailer in a while.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby tyro » Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 am

Phoenix school of law recently sent out 32k/year offers for people who didn't even apply (regular tuition is 36k/year).

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby dowu » Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 am

tyro wrote:Phoenix school of law recently sent out 32k/year offers for people who didn't even apply (regular tuition is 36k/year).


That's not bad if you have a well-connected (family) job lined up.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby tyro » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
tyro wrote:Phoenix school of law recently sent out 32k/year offers for people who didn't even apply (regular tuition is 36k/year).


That's not bad if you have a well-connected (family) job lined up.

Well..I didn't read the terms & conditions. I consider those types of emails as comparable to the random online casinos that send me offers for "free chips".

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby Nova » Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 am

I wonder what the sTTTips are and what portion of the class loses their scholarship and has to pay the extra 63k. Thats more than quintuple.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:15 am

Nova wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:I get all the same Regent emails, FWIW. I've received literally a couple dozen from them at this point since applications opened in September. My assumption is that they spam those emails to anybody whose email they've gotten their hands on, regardless of numbers.


True. I got 20ish from Valparaiso before realized I should have unsubscribed a long time ago.


You can... unsubscribe? ohgodwhy

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 am

I get an email from this school almost every 3 weeks. Did you know they have 75% California Bar passage for first time test takers? :shock:



--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:07 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I get an email from this school almost every 3 weeks. Did you know they have 75% California Bar passage for first time test takers? :shock:



--ImageRemoved--
Is 75% low or high to you? California's bar is notoriously hard. 75% is actually higher than the state average.
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/01/californ ... s-deepens/

Not that I would advocate attending an online, ABA-unaccredited law school, of course.

CSL's passage rate probably benefits from how easy it is to drop out of an online school if you're not doing well. And the school may only encourage the best students to take the bar.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby MormonChristian » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I at one time considered a Tier 4 school because they offered a 3 year full scholarship.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Tier-4 Email Attack

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 pm

MormonChristian wrote:I at one time considered a Tier 4 school because they offered a 3 year full scholarship.
Are you looking for disparagement because you considered it, or congratulations for not taking it?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest