Cornell vs Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell (sticker) vs Michigan (sticker)

Cornell
47%
Michigan
53%

Total votes: 59

Green Glass Windows

Re: Cornell vs Michigan

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

sunynp wrote:
I guess I was looking at the outcomes you can expect if you don't get biglaw. But I'm conservative and don't like to count on things happening in the best possible way.

I didn't know about the request for interest. Is it getting late in the year for Michigan to admit off the waitlist? It is very smart to figure out what you will choose if you get into Michigan. Good luck.

Thanks. Dean Z said the summer class is obviously full, but the final deposit for fall start is on June 15th. The email basically said that since other waitlists are starting to move, theirs likely will move soon too. Seems like most waitlists move after deadlines.

And yeah, I am trying to take into consideration what will happen if I don't get biglaw, so Michigan's LRAP program and other opportunities are definitely appealing. They do seem to trump Cornell on that.

T00L

Postby T00L » Thu May 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
sunynp wrote:
I guess I was looking at the outcomes you can expect if you don't get biglaw. But I'm conservative and don't like to count on things happening in the best possible way.

I didn't know about the request for interest. Is it getting late in the year for Michigan to admit off the waitlist? It is very smart to figure out what you will choose if you get into Michigan. Good luck.

Thanks. Dean Z said the summer class is obviously full, but the final deposit for fall start is on June 15th. The email basically said that since other waitlists are starting to move, theirs likely will move soon too. Seems like most waitlists move after deadlines.

And yeah, I am trying to take into consideration what will happen if I don't get biglaw, so Michigan's LRAP program and other opportunities are definitely appealing. They do seem to trump Cornell on that.

This and collegiality are the Mich trump cards

morally0bese

Postby morally0bese » Thu May 31, 2012 6:14 pm

This thread has some good info on Cornell's lrap: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185584

"At Vandy you could just sign up for IBR and be mellow after 10 years (your payments would actually be less than Cornell's)

SO why on earth is Cornell's better? Because it isn't tied into IBR and there is no 10 year commitment. Also your yearly payment doesn't end up being that much higher than IBR. I could be totally off base but I think they just really help you with payments on like a 10 year repayment schedule (i.e. they contribute like twice as much as you do toward your loans) and if you quit after 5 years or whatever, half of your loans are paid off.

In IBR if you quit after 5 years, you'll pretty much have to pay off all of your loans, since you've only been making payments that cover the interest."

I don't know anything about Mich lrap (didn't apply there).

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:06 pm

T00L wrote:
This and collegiality are the Mich trump cards

Unless something has changed in the past year, Cornell is extremely collegial. People not in the know have fabricated a contrary view based on some study indicating that Cornell students study a lot. It's competitive, but overwhelmingly collegial... Not at all mutually exclusive. Just wanted to throw that out therefor what it's worth (prolly not much...).

T00L

Postby T00L » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:36 am

It seems to me that Michigan has the edge in the public interest world... Is this a fair statement? Correct me if I'm wrong....

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:40 am

T00L wrote:It seems to me that Michigan has the edge in the public interest world... Is this a fair statement? Correct me if I'm wrong....

Thats what the statistics seem to indicate. Maybe it's a product of the Michigan lrap?

T00L

Postby T00L » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 am

top30man wrote:
T00L wrote:It seems to me that Michigan has the edge in the public interest world... Is this a fair statement? Correct me if I'm wrong....

Thats what the statistics seem to indicate. Maybe it's a product of the Michigan lrap?

Cause and effect...maybe, maybe not, but it is certainly a huge factor I think... I mean, damn, that LRAP is gargantuan...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”