Picking MVP over CCN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alirod12

Re: Picking MVP over CCN

Postby alirod12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 am

BruceWayne wrote:
alirod12 wrote:This seems like its coming from someone who is not enjoying himself at UVa, probably a nerd or someone with a chip on their shoulder about getting bad grades or something. I am a huge hater, and I think it is an amazing place to go to law school, especially when I hear people discuss how much they hate their time at Chicago/Columbia. Many people will tell you that UVa really is different, and IMHO it is true. I have not found it to be competitive in the slightest. I share my outlines with anyone who asks, and people who are at the top of the class share their outlines with me. Sure 1L is fairly intense, but really nothing too bad.

LOL at "not enjoying myself at UVA because I'm a nerd"? Are you serious--do you know how oxymoronic that statement is? I hate to break this to you, but if you dont' think UVA (or any other top 14 for that matter) is nerdy you aren't just the pot calling the kettle Black--you're Wesley Snipes calling Denzel black. Yeah UVA isn't nerdy for a top 14 (and honestly as somenoe who had never been to a top institution or been involved with people from them before to me it's not noticeable--I think it's pretty damn nerdy. People at my ugrad gym weren't talking about Nietzsche while they were lifting...whoever the hell that is :lol: ...) from what people tell me but that's not saying much.
And as far as me liking UVA or not. It may have been intense but I can't say anything negative about it--I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten my current job from a local school or honestly even some of the rest of the top 14.

Besides all I said was that UVA isn't the best choice for someone interested in working in NYC if they can go to NYU. I'm sorry telling someone who wants to work in New York City to attend New York University hurts your feelings so badly.

You actually said more than just that sizzle tits. First, NYC is better ANY DAY OF THE WEEK than Charlottesville. And obviously it's better if you want to work in NYC. That's not my point. UVa has a different atmosphere than the other top schools. Everyone that's ever visited that I've talked to, attorneys I've met who visited UVa, have all shared that sentiment. Also Rayiner: "but saying you'd hate going somewhere else having never been there is silly" <-- if that was directed at me, you're a dumbass because I never said that. My whole point was that --> "Finally, I hope you aren't pickign UVA because of some image of rainbows and butterflies. While people aren't mean, it is a very intense school with extraordinarily competitive and intense students (who are oftentimes awkward). But I'm sure the rest of the top schools are the same." --> isn't necessarily true. This is an extremely hyperbolic statement. My friend is #1 in our class and shares every one of his outlines with me. Doesn't sound like "extraordinarily competitive and intense," but I guess it's all about frame of reference.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:25 am

But yeah Bruce, you're totally not a nerd, my bad...you only have 1300+ posts on here, averaging 2 posts per day. A high TLS post count is totally a hallmark of non-nerd-dom, how could I every think anything else! Killin' it broski.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:54 am

alirod12 wrote:But yeah Bruce, you're totally not a nerd, my bad...you only have 1300+ posts on here, averaging 2 posts per day. A high TLS post count is totally a hallmark of non-nerd-dom, how could I every think anything else! Killin' it broski.

You're really offended because I said something that you don't agree with about UVA and that's fine; but it's causing you not to even read what people are saying because you're claiming that I and others are saying things we didn't.

I never said that I was or wasn't a nerd. By a normal persons standards I am definitely a nerd. Anyone who has an account on this website and/or attends a top law school is a nerd. That's what I'm trying to get across to you. You're like a lot of people at UVA, and I don't mean this in an insulting way--seriously--I don't, you're a nerd who is in denial but suddenly thinks they're not because they now drink socially for the first time at febclub and because they're "athletes" since they won the first round of their softball tournament. What I was telling the guy was that that's pretty much the extent of UVA being more laid back and social than other top law schools. Just because you've had more social interactions than some kid who mouth breathes and got a 4.0 in Physics at MIT doesn't mean you're not a nerd; but to a lot of people at our school it does.

Yeah UVA is proably more laid back than UChicago or Harvard (and I can't even be sure of that) but I mean that's not exactly hard to pull off...consequently, I was telling him that the extent of our laid back social atmosphere isn't really enough to justify turning down significantly better job prospects in his first choice market (NYC). Now if UVA was like my ugrad socially (big state school, alcholism was a major, and if you were a guy who played softball and thought you were an athlete people would laugh their ass off at you etc.) then maybe I could see the social atmosphere being different enough to justify attending on that reason alone, but it's not.

You just need to calm down and not take any comment that doesn't make UVA sound perfect as a personal insult. It makes people at our school look like they are on UVA kool-aid and overly sensitive. No school is perfect for everyone.

And not to be an ass but I know the top guy in our class too; and yeah he's nice but the guy work's harder than a lot of slaves probably used to. He's a damn machine. And that's what I was saying about UVA; people aren't mean or anything but you better believe they're intense as hell (at least to people like me who haven't been in this type of atmoshphere before--now if you went to prep school and some top ugrad you might feel differently).

ams212

Postby ams212 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:09 am

OP said enjoy. I truly believe Law School should not be picked based on enjoyment, unless you believe it has a real chance of effecting your grades, but should instead choose a school based on scholly money, job prospects, preferred market, and the cold economic y we live in.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 pm

"I never said that I was or wasn't a nerd. By a normal persons standards I am definitely a nerd. Anyone who has an account on this website and/or attends a top law school is a nerd. That's what I'm trying to get across to you. You're like a lot of people at UVA, and I don't mean this in an insulting way--seriously--I don't, you're a nerd who is in denial but suddenly thinks they're not because they now drink socially for the first time at febclub and because they're "athletes" since they won the first round of their softball tournament. What I was telling the guy was that that's pretty much the extent of UVA being more laid back and social than other top law schools. Just because you've had more social interactions than some kid who mouth breathes and got a 4.0 in Physics at MIT doesn't mean you're not a nerd; but to a lot of people at our school it does."

LOLOLOL Yeah. I grew up in Miami, had a fake ID at 15, and grew up going out on South Beach before I could legally drive. But no you're right, febclub is the first time I've ever socially drank. I actually hardly ever go out and drink here, because the corner is pathetic and I don't drink keg beer. You're really great at reading people though! And the softball thing...where I grew up, girls that played softball = butch lesbo, and to be fair it's often not that far off here either.

To be honest this may be some common ground for us--the people you just described are probably the worst part of UVa. I am not a nerd in denial in the slightest. I love dragons and wear wolf sweaters all the time, but that's a different type of nerdy I think. Surely not the the type that spends their time on internet forums because they have no one to socialize with in the real world.

The majority of posts on here are spent being fairly bitchy, not trying to shove my opinions up someones ass (which I'm sure the majority of your posts would entail if I had the time scroll all bajillion of them). Even though my opinions are awesome, just like wolves and dragons, not like pussy-ass Batman, who wishes he was Tony Stark.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 pm

"And not to be an ass but I know the top guy in our class too; and yeah he's nice but the guy work's harder than a lot of slaves probably used to. He's a damn machine. And that's what I was saying about UVA; people aren't mean or anything but you better believe they're intense as hell (at least to people like me who haven't been in this type of atmoshphere before--now if you went to prep school and some top ugrad you might feel differently)."

We're talking about a different person then.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm

alirod12 wrote:I am not a nerd in denial in the slightest. I love dragons and wear wolf sweaters all the time, but that's a different type of nerdy I think.

This made me laugh. I like what you guys have going here.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 pm

The fact the BruceWayne is saying choose NYU/NYC and he's getting bitched about it by a UVA student is so weird. BruceWayne is one of the biggest anti-NYC posters on this forum.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 pm

ams212 wrote:OP said enjoy. I truly believe Law School should not be picked based on enjoyment, unless you believe it has a real chance of effecting your grades, but should instead choose a school based on scholly money, job prospects, preferred market, and the cold economic y we live in.

Someone goes to Chicago...

if you have a problem with what I said,

Come at me, bro.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:The fact the BruceWayne is saying choose NYU/NYC and he's getting bitched about it by a UVA student is so weird. BruceWayne is one of the biggest anti-NYC posters on this forum.

Yeah ok sure but is BruceWayne really "pro" anything? Other than misery, I don't think he has good things to say about anything.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am

alirod12 wrote:"I never said that I was or wasn't a nerd. By a normal persons standards I am definitely a nerd. Anyone who has an account on this website and/or attends a top law school is a nerd. That's what I'm trying to get across to you. You're like a lot of people at UVA, and I don't mean this in an insulting way--seriously--I don't, you're a nerd who is in denial but suddenly thinks they're not because they now drink socially for the first time at febclub and because they're "athletes" since they won the first round of their softball tournament. What I was telling the guy was that that's pretty much the extent of UVA being more laid back and social than other top law schools. Just because you've had more social interactions than some kid who mouth breathes and got a 4.0 in Physics at MIT doesn't mean you're not a nerd; but to a lot of people at our school it does."

LOLOLOL Yeah. I grew up in Miami, had a fake ID at 15, and grew up going out on South Beach before I could legally drive. But no you're right, febclub is the first time I've ever socially drank. I actually hardly ever go out and drink here, because the corner is pathetic and I don't drink keg beer. You're really great at reading people though! And the softball thing...where I grew up, girls that played softball = butch lesbo, and to be fair it's often not that far off here either.

To be honest this may be some common ground for us--the people you just described are probably the worst part of UVa. I am not a nerd in denial in the slightest. I love dragons and wear wolf sweaters all the time, but that's a different type of nerdy I think. Surely not the the type that spends their time on internet forums because they have no one to socialize with in the real world.

The majority of posts on here are spent being fairly bitchy, not trying to shove my opinions up someones ass (which I'm sure the majority of your posts would entail if I had the time scroll all bajillion of them). Even though my opinions are awesome, just like wolves and dragons, not like pussy-ass Batman, who wishes he was Tony Stark.

That got real weird real fast.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:The fact the BruceWayne is saying choose NYU/NYC and he's getting bitched about it by a UVA student is so weird. BruceWayne is one of the biggest anti-NYC posters on this forum.

Yeah ok sure but is BruceWayne really "pro" anything? Other than misery, I don't think he has good things to say about anything.

He's said plenty of pro-UVA things in my time on TLS. In fact, we've gotten into a few arguments due to his pro-UVA/anti-NYU posts.

Also, and I realize this is TLS, but the posts from the "non-nerdy" crowd at UVA ITT don't exactly paint a positive picture of UVA.

Oh, and this:
BruceWayne wrote:That got real weird real fast.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
alirod12 wrote:I am not a nerd in denial in the slightest. I love dragons and wear wolf sweaters all the time, but that's a different type of nerdy I think.

This made me laugh. I like what you guys have going here.

^This.

Absolute gold:
alirod12 wrote:LOLOLOL Yeah. I grew up in Miami, had a fake ID at 15, and grew up going out on South Beach before I could legally drive. But no you're right, febclub is the first time I've ever socially drank. I actually hardly ever go out and drink here, because the corner is pathetic and I don't drink keg beer. You're really great at reading people though! And the softball thing...where I grew up, girls that played softball = butch lesbo, and to be fair it's often not that far off here either.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

alirod12 wrote:LOLOLOL Yeah. I grew up in Miami, had a fake ID at 15, and grew up going out on South Beach before I could legally drive. But no you're right, febclub is the first time I've ever socially drank. I actually hardly ever go out and drink here, because the corner is pathetic and I don't drink keg beer. You're really great at reading people though! And the softball thing...where I grew up, girls that played softball = butch lesbo, and to be fair it's often not that far off here either.

OP, you still wanna go to UVA? Apparently you get to hang out with this guy.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 am

alirod12 wrote:"I never said that I was or wasn't a nerd. By a normal persons standards I am definitely a nerd. Anyone who has an account on this website and/or attends a top law school is a nerd. That's what I'm trying to get across to you. You're like a lot of people at UVA, and I don't mean this in an insulting way--seriously--I don't, you're a nerd who is in denial but suddenly thinks they're not because they now drink socially for the first time at febclub and because they're "athletes" since they won the first round of their softball tournament. What I was telling the guy was that that's pretty much the extent of UVA being more laid back and social than other top law schools. Just because you've had more social interactions than some kid who mouth breathes and got a 4.0 in Physics at MIT doesn't mean you're not a nerd; but to a lot of people at our school it does."

Wow, this is quite a sales pitch for UVA. Who wouldn't want to go to school with this kid, amirite? Add keg beer and "butch lesbos" and I, for one, am wishing I were at UVA!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 am

alirod12 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I never said that I was or wasn't a nerd. By a normal persons standards I am definitely a nerd. Anyone who has an account on this website and/or attends a top law school is a nerd. That's what I'm trying to get across to you. You're like a lot of people at UVA, and I don't mean this in an insulting way--seriously--I don't, you're a nerd who is in denial but suddenly thinks they're not because they now drink socially for the first time at febclub and because they're "athletes" since they won the first round of their softball tournament. What I was telling the guy was that that's pretty much the extent of UVA being more laid back and social than other top law schools. Just because you've had more social interactions than some kid who mouth breathes and got a 4.0 in Physics at MIT doesn't mean you're not a nerd; but to a lot of people at our school it does.

Whatever label you ascribe to yourself, a nerd is immensely better. I want to be nothing like you.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:43 am

Trust me, with 1300+ posts to date in your corner, you are nothing like me. The label I ascribe to myself is the wolf-queen dragon lord of the North, and you know nothing Jon Snow. Please continue to regale us with your infinite TLS wisdom, all ye gods of legal nerd-dom!

Also, I am pro-NYC, anti-small town. All I've ever said is that UVa has a legitimately different atmosphere than most of the other top schools. SO SUE ME. LOLOL legal joke get it?!?! Oh and that a dragon-riding wolf would light Bruce Wayne up and eat his still-beating heart.

Finally, I am taking reservations for PERSONAL guided tours around UVa law. I am a self-proclaimed ambassador for the school. PM to arrange. Or to talk about how best to integrate into the Partyrock UVa law community if you've never done much socializing and drinking beyond WoW guild meetings and Smirnoff Ice pounding. I have really learned to let loose since those days, especially compared to those MIT kids. In fact, I may start a blog about it.

AMIRITE?

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:46 am

ams212 wrote:OP said enjoy. I truly believe Law School should not be picked based on enjoyment, unless you believe it has a real chance of effecting your grades, but should instead choose a school based on scholly money, job prospects, preferred market, and the cold economic y we live in.

TITCR. My vote counts for everything.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:59 am

IAFG wrote:

Wow, this is quite a sales pitch for UVA. Who wouldn't want to go to school with this kid, amirite? Add keg beer and "butch lesbos" and I, for one, am wishing I were at UVA!

Holy cow sizzle tits for a snazzy broad like yourself that has reached 7497 posts I will find you some butch lesbos smothered in keg beer!! When can we meet up? Lemme know asap cuz I need at least 36 hours notice to arrange for the keg and lesbos. Do you prefer blondes or brunettes? Do you mind if they're under age? Easier to exploit via low wages, na mean?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 am

You just ruined Game of Thrones for me.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:17 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You just ruined Game of Thrones for me.

Not my fault you belong to a lesser house with a shitty sigil of a pigeon eating a corncob.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 am

alirod12 wrote:I am not a nerd in denial in the slightest. I love dragons and wear wolf sweaters all the time

Wolf sweaters.

All the time.

Not nerdy.

You heard it here first.

ETA: Dear, Alirod12 - This is not a pic of me. This is a pic of someone who is very excited to be sporting a wolf sweater. Anyone claiming to love dragons and often wear wolf sweaters is most certainly a nerd. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
Last edited by TyrionLannister on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 am

Who are you and can we be besties. Is that from H&M? Word on the street is that H&M was slanging serious wolf heat and like an idiot I slept on it. My wolf sweater collection, while the largest of anyone I know, is at a paltry 4 sweaters total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24 am

Let's at least try and keep this on topic.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 am

bk1 wrote:Let's at least try and keep this on topic.

That ship has sailed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”