Important Money Question, advice appreciated Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
florida56

New

Important Money Question, advice appreciated

Post by florida56 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Good Evening,

I would really appreciate everyone's advice relating to re-approaching a school to be considered for additional money.

A tier one school that I am likely attending is the best law school I was admitted to. I do have financial concerns relating to law school, whether this school or any of the others (tier two) I was considering, but I plan on attending in the fall due to the opportunity that I look forward to taking advantage of.

I was originally admitted with 10k. I asked the admissions counselor who admitted me if I could please be considered for additional funding, and after checking with the dean of admissions, he was able to award me an additional 2k a year.

After a couple of weeks, I wrote to the dean of admissions, expressing financial hardship coupled with my sincere interest in attending the school. I explained that although I was very appreciative for having been admitted, I was concerned that I would be unable to attend with the current price and offer. I had asked if there was any way I could be considered for any additional funding. I know that the school has significant available funding, but I was told that based on my numbers, I cannot be awarded any additional funding.

Although I will very likely be attending this school, I truly need more money to be able to attend, and any increase, whether 1k or several thousand more a year would make a big difference. I am debating about who to write to and how to approach my letter.

At first, I was debating whether or not to go above the dean of admissions/financials that I had spoken with, but I realized it will likely be forwarded back to him. I am considering writing to the counselor who admitted me and cc'ing the dean of admissions and addressing it to both of them.

I'm not sure if I should write to the same two individuals in admission or if I should write to the dean of the law school. I don't want to make a negative first impression on the dean and on the dean of admissions for going above him, since I will likely be attending. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to write to to maximize my chances while minimizing offending and upsetting anyone and setting a bad first impression for myself?

Secondly, do you have any suggestions on what to include? Should I say that I will not be able to currently attend, but that if I could be considered for any additional funding, it could make the biggest of differences? If I say this, yet do not receive any more funding and do still attend, would this be considered lying and inappropriate? Should I acknowledge the previous conversation with the dean and how I had been told that I cannot receive any additional funding, yet I am asking again because....?

I have maintained my 4.0 gpa throughout my senior year (I am not retaking lsat, and I want to attend this one school) - can I use this to help my case? I know that several wait-listed non-URM students had slightly lower scores and received several thousand dollars more a year, but I know that I cannot mention this - yet given this, I personally know that more funding may technically be able to be awarded. I currently have 20k/year offers from tier two schools - can I use this as leverage? How can I approach and ask this without sounding desperate or threatening?

Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it.
Last edited by florida56 on Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

florida56

New

Re: Important Money Question, advice appreciated

Post by florida56 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:49 pm

This is slightly different, thanks so much for any advice in who to write to and what to include.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Mon May 28, 2012 7:04 pm

You've already asked, and they have given you more money. You then asked AGAIN and were denied. Asking again would be rude, and saying you can't attend without extra money would be untruthful, since you've implied here that you will be attending even without the extra money.

If you really want more money, retake the LSAT and apply at the start of the next cycle.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 pm

LSAT score? Why is retaking not an option?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 pm

You are supposed to take out loans like everyone else. If you are that concerned that you won't be able to pay off the loans, or if attending law school is that much of a financial hardship, you probably shouldn't attend, or at least attend this school. That would be a perfectly legitimate and rational choice.

From the sound of things, it doesn't seem like the school in question is Harvard or that ilk. If it were, you would probably just take the loans and go I would imagine. I'd say outside the top schools, don't sweat it, go to the T2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”