Asking for more money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

The second deposit for the law school I will be attending is approaching. Although I was offered some money, I am still very concerned about financials and long-term debt.

After being admitted, I asked about receiving more money from one of the counselors, and I was awarded an additional 1k a year. I then wrote an email to the dean of admissions asking if I could be considered for more money, explaining that I really want to and hope to attend but that financials it the only potential hinderance, and he informed me that based on merit and numbers, nothing else can be awarded.

Before the second deposit is due, I'm hoping to ask one more time for additional funding, especially since I believe the school has the money available. I don't want to sound like a pest, and I don't want to sound like I'm going above the dean of admissions, but this is a true concern, and I want to know I did everything possible. Can I write an email to the dean of the law school? The president of the university (and have him or her forward the email?

Thanks so much for help regarding a situation that means so much.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Also, in addition to wondering who I can write to, do you have any advice on what to say or not to say? Thanks again.
Last edited by sportsstar1234 on Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
El_Gallo
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby El_Gallo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm

You are a ballsy individual my friend. However, if you have already spoken with the dean of admissions, I don't think there is much else you can do. We are all concerned about the cost of law school so that is a moot point to bring up. I guess the only circumstance I would pursue the path you described is if my numbers obviously did merit more scholarship $. If you are a borderline candidate to begin with, I would just stay quite and be grateful for an acceptance letter.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Someone from financial aid at my undergrad told me the head of their often makes decisions. Students will then write to the chancellor of the school, and someone in her office will override the offer from the financial office, despite the time and effort they put into the offer. She informed that rules are always broken, and if the right person reads the right letter, anything can be done.

I don't want to cross the lines and piss off the admissions dean, but I do want to try to get more funding, as this may be crucial for me to be able to secure my next deposit and attend this school that I hope to be going to.

What are +/-'s? Do people go above the admission dean after he/she says nothing more can be awarded? Who can/should I write to, and what should(n't) I say?

Thanks.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby cinephile » Mon May 28, 2012 12:41 pm

El_Gallo wrote:You are a ballsy individual my friend. However, if you have already spoken with the dean of admissions, I don't think there is much else you can do. We are all concerned about the cost of law school so that is a moot point to bring up. I guess the only circumstance I would pursue the path you described is if my numbers obviously did merit more scholarship $. If you are a borderline candidate to begin with, I would just stay quite and be grateful for an acceptance letter.


What? No, absolutely not. Never just sit quiet and be grateful for what you've got when you need more scholarship to make a responsible decision. I would agree that if you've spoke with the dean of admissions already, that's all they can do for now. But you can always take a year off and retake the LSAT so your numbers are more competitive next year. Never settle for something that you would regret.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Can I try writing to the dean of the law school or president of the university? My only concern is they will forward the email back to the dean of admissions / head of financials, and I may piss him off by having gone above him and now sounding like I'm desperate or begging.

Thanks again.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

My other idea was writing to the counselor in admissions who I originally spoke with. He's the one who originally spoke to the dean on my behalf to get the extra funding. Instead of going above the dean following the prior conversation with him, I'd now be going below him to someone he works with?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby blurbz » Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 pm

If I were the chancellor/president of the University and you wrote to me asking about an increase in scholarship money, I'd try to have your acceptance rescinded because you have obviously poor judgment.

Why do you believe the school has extra money available? You realize they award more than they have knowing that some people won't attend, right? Just because your buddy with a full ride withdrew doesn't mean that they suddenly have 45k a year sitting back in their scholarship vault.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby kwais » Mon May 28, 2012 12:57 pm

blurbz wrote:If I were the chancellor/president of the University and you wrote to me asking about an increase in scholarship money, I'd try to have your acceptance rescinded because you have obviously poor judgment.

Why do you believe the school has extra money available? You realize they award more than they have knowing that some people won't attend, right? Just because your buddy with a full ride withdrew doesn't mean that they suddenly have 45k a year sitting back in their scholarship vault.


While I understand this sentiment, it is misguided. The facts are the facts. Some people have luck with this sort of thing, and those who don't are no worse off. Given that, it is poor judgment (to the tune of 10s of thousands of dollars) not to ask if you think you may have some leverage. Obviously, all requests should ooze humility and gratitude.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm

I was told that the school has a larger endowment available than usual, and that more students than expected turned down large offers, making a significant amount of money available.

It's also frustrating knowing that other students admitted off the waitlist late in the game who are not URM's and have slightly lower scores received a couple thousand dollars more a year than I did. I know I cannot use this as leverage nor mention this, and I assume mentioning the 20k a year offer at two different tier two schools would be insignificant, unless I write that I may have to attend there simply based on price and not choice... but I do not want to sound threatening my any means....?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Are you an URM ?

If the law schools in question are Cardozo and/or Emory, then your award is quite low after reviewing http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com. For either of these law schools, $8,000-$10,000 a year is not enough to justify attending if money & debt is a primary concern---which it obviously is since you're worried about making the second deposit. Consider sitting out this year, retaking the LSAT & reapplying. When you do not make the second deposit, you might receive a more generous award. But, if you take this course of action, or, rather, inaction, then you have to be willing to walk away & reapply next cycle.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Not a URM and it is a matter of these schools. I am wondering what I can say to try to get more money or who I can speak with. I know other non URM's received more money with slightly lower scores, who were recently admitted. I have offers of 20k to tier two school, but I'm not sure if I can use this as leverage. Thanks for the help!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Just be honest. Let the Dean of Admissions at Emory, I presume, know that you cannot afford to attend at the estimated cost of over $70,000 a year plus interest with only an $8,000- $10,000 award. Be prepared to walk away, however, if this does not result in an award increase of a significant amount. Unfortunately, since your LSAT score is low, your above median GPA may not be enough. But I do agree that this law school has plenty of available scholarship money.

P.S. My best guess is that you should not go above the Dean of Admissions regarding this matter since you haven't presented any unusual circumstances.

User avatar
El_Gallo
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby El_Gallo » Mon May 28, 2012 1:17 pm

cinephile wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:You are a ballsy individual my friend. However, if you have already spoken with the dean of admissions, I don't think there is much else you can do. We are all concerned about the cost of law school so that is a moot point to bring up. I guess the only circumstance I would pursue the path you described is if my numbers obviously did merit more scholarship $. If you are a borderline candidate to begin with, I would just stay quite and be grateful for an acceptance letter.


What? No, absolutely not. Never just sit quiet and be grateful for what you've got when you need more scholarship to make a responsible decision. I would agree that if you've spoke with the dean of admissions already, that's all they can do for now. But you can always take a year off and retake the LSAT so your numbers are more competitive next year. Never settle for something that you would regret.


I may have worded my response poorly, but I think you and I are on the same page. OP said that he was already set on attending this school. Obviously if the OP doesn't feel comfortable with the career prospects to debt ratio of his school, he should pursue other options. I was just saying that I don't think going over the head of of the Dean of Admissions will help his situation.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks so much CanadianWolf,

You said be prepared to walk away... is that only if I will not be attending? Chances are, even without an increase, I will be attending this top school that I was admitted to.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Maybe I can email the admissions counselor who I originally spoke with, and CC the dean? I can reference the last email from the dean declining additional funding, and explain my interest and acknowledging the financial concern and hinderance with the next deposit deadline approaching?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 28, 2012 1:25 pm

If you're prepared to incur $210,000 of debt (assuming loans of $60,000 per year at 8%), then at least be aware of the tremendous financial risk that you're taking.

Without a doubling of your scholarship award, I would walk-away & reapply next cycle. But I am not you. Understand that repaying this amount is likely to be quite difficult. If you're a Georgia resident, try Georgia State or UGA for far more reasonable tuition rates.

But, if you want to put forth your strongest negotiating tactic, you have to be prepared to sit out this year or matriculate at another law school.

Getting into one's dream law school can turn into a nightmare when repayment time comes.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby dingbat » Mon May 28, 2012 1:31 pm

sportsstar1234 wrote:Thanks so much CanadianWolf,

You said be prepared to walk away... is that only if I will not be attending? Chances are, even without an increase, I will be attending this top school that I was admitted to.

Not attending is the only leverage you have.
Try asking, but be ambiguous as to whether you'll attend or not:
You don't want them to register a withdrawal, and you don't want them to figure out you'll attend either way

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon May 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Without knowing your numbers, at least the range of school you are negotiating with, and also your other offers, no one can really offer much advice.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Probably 154/3.79 & Emory. But I disagree that these facts should control advice offered. Some top 25 law schools are scrambling for students. If it is Emory, then money should be available. Emory runs over $70,000 per academic year, yet employment prospects are challenging.

sportsstar1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 am

Re: Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Anyone else have any advice, thanks so much.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 pm

If, as CanadianWolf says, you're 154/3.79, you should absolutely retake and reapply. You're GPA is very solid. The LSAT is very learnable; devote your life to the LSAT and get a score to match that GPA. A year off might not be ideal, but the prospects of graduating from little debt at the school in question or attending a better school are too good to pass up.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Asking for more money

Postby blurbz » Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 pm

kwais wrote:
blurbz wrote:If I were the chancellor/president of the University and you wrote to me asking about an increase in scholarship money, I'd try to have your acceptance rescinded because you have obviously poor judgment.

Why do you believe the school has extra money available? You realize they award more than they have knowing that some people won't attend, right? Just because your buddy with a full ride withdrew doesn't mean that they suddenly have 45k a year sitting back in their scholarship vault.


While I understand this sentiment, it is misguided. The facts are the facts. Some people have luck with this sort of thing, and those who don't are no worse off. Given that, it is poor judgment (to the tune of 10s of thousands of dollars) not to ask if you think you may have some leverage. Obviously, all requests should ooze humility and gratitude.



I have no problem with OP asking for more money. I asked for more money at a number of schools and was successful at all of them. But I think it shows a certain ridiculous naivete to ask the chancellor or president of the school for more money instead of the people in admissions: I was only commenting about that course of action not about asking for more money generally.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 6 guests