Question about "ties"

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jms1987

Question about "ties"

Postby jms1987 » Sun May 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I know this has been discussed in the past on here, but I have couple of questions that I'd like to ask.

I go to school in the midwest (Ohio to be exact) but ultimately want to be in the southeast. I lived in Tennessee for a little while and would like to live/work there or in Alabama or Georgia. I am in the process of doing LSAT prep, and have a goal of attending UGA, Bama, UTK, or Florida. (I have some family in Florida fwiw) Would not being "southern" screw me out of a job if I was attend one of these schools?

I realize it doesn't mean much until the kill the LSAT, but I'm just curious about how strong ties must be, since I'd like to end up in one of these places.

JCFindley

Re: Question about "ties"

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm

jms1987 wrote:I know this has been discussed in the past on here, but I have couple of questions that I'd like to ask.

I go to school in the midwest (Ohio to be exact) but ultimately want to be in the southeast. I lived in Tennessee for a little while and would like to live/work there or in Alabama or Georgia. I am in the process of doing LSAT prep, and have a goal of attending UGA, Bama, UTK, or Florida. (I have some family in Florida fwiw) Would not being "southern" screw me out of a job if I was attend one of these schools?

I realize it doesn't mean much until the kill the LSAT, but I'm just curious about how strong ties must be, since I'd like to end up in one of these places.

Short answer, in Atlanta, not much if any. In Birmingham, a little but not all that much. In Huntsville, Not much....

In Conecuh County Alabama or similar places, it could be an issue though not nearly as much as if you were from the north east like those foreigners in New York City.... True story, my cousin is an attorney in Dothan Alabama with his own firm. He does pretty well for himself there. Anyway, he meets my wife who is from NYC. He says something about her being a yankee and she replied that she lived in North Carolina for the last ten years. His reply was, "That state still has 'North' in its name..." Anecdotal and he was half joking but in the part of the state (AL) I have family there is still a lot of bias against northerners......

All that said, you have a legitimate desire to live down there and it is not just cause you got into Bama or UGA that will go a long way down there and it is not insurmountable you might just have to work a little harder......

UF will not help you get a job in TN, GA or AL.... It would be a good choice for FL but an uphill battle to go north from there.....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”