Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PenguinMarch
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby PenguinMarch » Sat May 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Decision needs to be made by Monday. I'm originally from the rural Midwest, went to a Midwestern university, and desire BigLaw in Chicago. Penn financial package seems better for total COA, but will the move out east significantly hamper my ability to get back?

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby thelawyler » Sat May 26, 2012 10:51 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:Decision needs to be made by Monday. I'm originally from the rural Midwest, went to a Midwestern university, and desire BigLaw in Chicago. Penn financial package seems better for total COA, but will the move out east significantly hamper my ability to get back?


Based on your goals, take Chicago. Seriously. It's only $25k more.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby Lawquacious » Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Try to negotiate with NU based on PENN offer...

PenguinMarch
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby PenguinMarch » Sat May 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah. NW won't budge on the amount.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby Renne Walker » Sun May 27, 2012 12:05 am

Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby bk1 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 am

If you really want Chicago biglaw and the costs are this close I would take NU.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 27, 2012 1:44 pm

NU unless Chicago is an option.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Renne Walker wrote:Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.

:?:

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.

:?:

Top six and Penn-Boalt-UVA

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun May 27, 2012 10:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.

:?:

Top six and Penn-Boalt-UVA

Ahhh, so those are the schools that can get you Chicago?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.

:?:

Top six and Penn-Boalt-UVA

Ahhh, so those are the schools that can get you Chicago?
I have no opinion. I was just translating.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby chasgoose » Sun May 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Renne Walker wrote:Maybe I am missing something but if you want to work in Chicago BigLaw and you have the creds for UPenn with $$, why don’t you bypass NW and apply directly to Chicago?

Granted, any of the T-6 and PBV would deliver you Chicago.


Do you really think OP didn't? Not everyone who gets into NU/Penn with $$ also gets into U of C...

Also, the comment about any of the T-6 and PBV delivering you to Chicago is also off-base. Chicago is a crazy hard market to get ITE since it hasn't recovered the same way that NYC has. Unless you have ties (ties meaning from the Chicagoland area or at least Ill., not just "from the rural Midwest"), the only schools that will give you a decent shot at Chicago biglaw are HYS or U of C/NU. Since the rural Midwest is pretty big, and the OP didn't specify, I assume he doesn't really have Chicago ties and wants to go there because its the biggest Midwestern market. It will be pretty hard to get to Chicago from Penn for someone like him. OP should definitely take NU.

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3735
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Penn $55,000 vs Northwestern $30,000 Chicago BigLaw

Postby fips tedora » Mon May 28, 2012 5:20 pm

I agree that you should try and negotiate $$$ at Northwestern but in terms of placement and vanity of prestige, go to Penn.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: freekick, Sushi and 3 guests