UC Hastings or Loyola Law School? HELP!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jisgreater

UC Hastings or Loyola Law School? HELP!

Postby jisgreater » Sat May 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I have been accepted to both schools and can not decide on one. Both schools will cost me the same. I am not interested in pursuing big law but rather a government job. I do, however, want to work in LA after. Loyola's alumni network in LA is pretty solid. How well does a Hastings grad do in the LA market? Also, Loyola is coming up in the rankings...

buzzbuzz2727

Re: UC Hastings or Loyola Law School? HELP!

Postby buzzbuzz2727 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 pm

I go to Hastings, and if you want to end up practicing in LA, I think you should go to Loyola.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Hastings all the way

jisgreater

Postby jisgreater » Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am

buzzbuzz2727 wrote:I go to Hastings, and if you want to end up practicing in LA, I think you should go to Loyola.

Why do you say that? What are the job prospects like for Hasting grads? Would it be extremely difficult to come back to LA afterward?

LSAT>LDAC

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Sun May 27, 2012 3:19 am

I'm also interested in the response to this question, excluding the disclaimer with regard to government employment.

Is there a disparity in clinical quality? Any info is appreciated.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Hastings is a better school, but if you are LA or bust I would likely go to Loyola here. Highly suggest Hastings for overall CA exposure if the money is the same though (hopefully not close to sticker).

partyrock

Postby partyrock » Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Loyola 1L (or a 2L now?) here. If you are looking for gov't work, Loyola is a solid choice for LA. We had alot of gov't offices at Spring OCI at which I got a few interviews.

But if you get $$ from Hastings I would definitely consider it. From what I understand, scholarships at Loyola for the Class of 2015 have a top 50% stipulation. Top 50% isn't really that bad, and honestly if you are falling below median you should consider whether it is worth it to continue. I haven't heard anything about stipulations at Hastings, so I think they have an advantage there.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Fwiw, all of my friends who wanted to go to LA 1L summer from Hastings are doing so.

Plastir

Postby Plastir » Mon May 28, 2012 8:56 pm

UC Hastings has 19,000 alums, and Los Angeles is their second largest alumni market, In addition, a high percentage of their alums work in public service. UCH produces more California Judges (as well as California SuperLawyers) than any other law school in the USA. At UCH you will have the opportunity to participate in a number of clinics in the public sector, and there is also an active public sector law students association there, which interacts with UCH alums working in the public sector.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 am

Plastir wrote:UC Hastings has 19,000 alums, and Los Angeles is their second largest alumni market, In addition, a high percentage of their alums work in public service. UCH produces more California Judges (as well as California SuperLawyers) than any other law school in the USA. At UCH you will have the opportunity to participate in a number of clinics in the public sector, and there is also an active public sector law students association there, which interacts with UCH alums working in the public sector.

Do you work for Hastings or something?

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Plastir wrote:UCH produces more California Judges (as well as California SuperLawyers) than any other law school in the USA.

:roll:

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm

splitbrain wrote:
Plastir wrote:UCH produces more California Judges (as well as California SuperLawyers) than any other law school in the USA.

:roll:

I bet Cooley has a ton of "superlawyers" as well, considering their massive classes sizes and long history.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue May 29, 2012 5:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Plastir wrote:UC Hastings has 19,000 alums, and Los Angeles is their second largest alumni market, In addition, a high percentage of their alums work in public service. UCH produces more California Judges (as well as California SuperLawyers) than any other law school in the USA. At UCH you will have the opportunity to participate in a number of clinics in the public sector, and there is also an active public sector law students association there, which interacts with UCH alums working in the public sector.

Ya think?

Nearly half the 2010 Hastings class had no long-term employment of any kind nine months after graduation.

Keep in mind that "long-term employment" includes things like state district court clerkships, working as a law clerk for a solo, and working in "business and industry" (Starbucks).

I'm sure UCH's class of 1982 produced a passle of California judges and "SuperLawyers." John Belushi was a great comedian in 1982 but I wouldn't try to book him for this weekend.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Ya think?

Nearly half the 2010 Hastings class had no long-term employment of any kind nine months after graduation.

Keep in mind that "long-term employment" includes things like state district court clerkships, working as a law clerk for a solo, and working in "business and industry" (Starbucks).

I'm sure UCH's class of 1982 produced a passle of California judges and "SuperLawyers." John Belushi was a great comedian in 1982 but I wouldn't try to book him for this weekend.

Seriously. I wouldn't look at anything except job prospects right now. If the alumni network were really that great it would produce better results.

soxandthecity

Postby soxandthecity » Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 am

/

Return to “Choosing a Law School”