NU (sticker) vs Alabama ($$$) for IP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please read before voting

NU (sticker)
53%
Bama ($$$)
47%

Total votes: 30

bamasplitter

NU (sticker) vs Alabama ($$$) for IP

Postby bamasplitter » Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm

So I just got off the WL at Northwestern, which heading into the cycle was my dream school, thanks to its slightly older more work experience oriented student body, it's location in an awesome city, and the fact that I figured it was the T14 most likely to accept my terrible GPA. That being said, the idea of going $250k in debt almost makes me want to run to the bathroom and vomit just thinking about it.

Just a little background, I am from Alabama and have a bachelor's in engineering. I have been working in industry for 4 years, and have decided that I want to get into patent law. I have a full ride (+ a small stipend) at Alabama, and that is where I had been planning on ending up until this afternoon.

Generally I don't care much for these poll questions, but I am torn as to whether I am crazy for considering the added debt load of NU. Or am I crazy for not considering NU given the much higher job prospects and relative lack of IP work in Alabama (and the southeast in general).

CanadianWolf

Re: NU (sticker) vs Alabama ($$$) for IP

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Ask Nothwestern for scholarship consideration. If none is offered, then Alabama with a full tuition & fees & book allowance scholarship will make your engineering degree shine.

P.S. Just don't visit NU because you may never come back.

bamasplitter

Postby bamasplitter » Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Just don't visit NU because you may never come back.

I visited NU for my ED interview, which is part of my problem. I want to make sure I make the decision from a strictly career/financial viewpoint rather than just how awesome the school and location are.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 am

Career options should be much better from Northwestern, but Alabama offers financial freedom.

Have you contacted Alabama's career services office to inquire about positions for law grads with an engineering degree ? Ask about access to IP & patent law fairs throughout the country.

Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property might be of interest to you as it's a student edited publication.

bamasplitter

Postby bamasplitter » Fri May 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I have talked to both the career services folks at Alabama as well as a # of IP oriented students. It sounds like the career services office won't necessarily have much specific help for me, but you are able to do the big patent law fairs.

I think with some hustle I could score a decent gig with top 1/3 grades from Bama. I would hope I could muscle my way into something from median, but it seems foolish to bank on that. At Northwestern my chances of landing a sweet starting IP gig are obviously much much higher, but I would pretty much be giving up the fallback option of going back to engineering as I would be a quarter mil in debt.

I have even considered the path of dropping out after one year if the grades aren't there, which at Alabama seems feasible, but after dropping $75k at NU it seems like you'd be fairly committed.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri May 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 pm

It would seem like alabama would keep your options wide open. The idea of getting a law degree for free is a nice one.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Corsair wrote:NU + engineering background = guaranteed IP job at a big firm in Chicago, even with mediocre grades.

What can you expect the reach of a Bama degree to be?

I am absolutely shocked that anyone is voting for Bama.

Yea but with fairly decent grades he can probably get parent prosecution from bama and save over 200k.

With EE or Cs I'd go bama. Maybe nu if he had something less desirable.

If he wants patent lit, nw might make more sense. Gp firms and top IP do care about law school.

LOL @canadadood thinking JTIP would new interesting. Just lol.

bamasplitter

Postby bamasplitter » Fri May 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Corsair wrote:NU + engineering background = guaranteed IP job at a big firm in Chicago, even with mediocre grades.

What can you expect the reach of a Bama degree to be?

I am absolutely shocked that anyone is voting for Bama.

Yea but with fairly decent grades he can probably get parent prosecution from bama and save over 200k.

With EE or Cs I'd go bama. Maybe nu if he had something less desirable.

If he wants patent lit, nw might make more sense. Gp firms and top IP do care about law school.

LOL @canadadood thinking JTIP would new interesting. Just lol.

What do you think about ChemE? I am aware that it is obviously lower than EE/CS but much higher than lots of areas. Plus I've spent the past 3 years working for a major company working with industrial partners to develop and scale up IP in the clean energy field which is from everything I"ve heard one of the areas of growth right now.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 am

I know anecdotal evidence is pretty busch league, but at ASW for bama I sat next to a kid who has a SA gig lined up in DC that he got through one of the IP fairs (I believe in Chicago, but I could be wrong). Other than that I have no further advise, as I am a 0L.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”