Pepperdine vs. Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 24, 2012 2:45 pm

They are about equal in the rankings. I don't know, i'm pretty stuck between the two...

Thoughts, anyone?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby flem » Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 pm

What's your total cost of attendance at each

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I haven't been offered any scholarship money =/ I'm looking at around 44k/yr for Loyola and 45k for Pepperdine. I will be living at home so I won't have housing to worry about.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby flem » Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I haven't been offered any scholarship money =/ I'm looking at around 44k/yr for Loyola and 45k for Pepperdine. I will be living at home so I won't have housing to worry about.


Ehhhh...any retakes left? 130K+ is a lot of debt for schools that are leaving a third of their grads unemployed.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I haven't been offered any scholarship money =/ I'm looking at around 44k/yr for Loyola and 45k for Pepperdine. I will be living at home so I won't have housing to worry about.

Holy shitballs! are your parents paying this bill?
Do you have any idea the size of the montly payments that you will be making once your done with law school?
If you're lucky you'll be making 55K a year while making a loan repayment of $1700.
Your take home will be close to what a high school teacher makes.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby splitbrain » Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Eh there's IBR, which means you can enjoy a diminished income for most of your career while basically doubling your loans. The hardest part is going to be finding a decent jerb after graduation, though.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm

splitbrain wrote:Eh there's IBR, which means you can enjoy a diminished income for most of your career while basically doubling your loans. The hardest part is going to be finding a decent jerb after graduation, though.

IBR still takes a good chunk, breh.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby flem » Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 pm

2.7/166/URM and still no scholarship money at either? How late did you apply?

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 pm

flem wrote:2.7/166/URM and still no scholarship money at either? How late did you apply?

oh fuck. I didn't look at the stats. This person should have better options than this, or at least go to a school with a big discount.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby flem » Thu May 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:oh fuck. I didn't look at the stats. This person should have better options than this, or at least go to a school with a big discount.


ehhh, Cali schools are huge GPA whores, so you never know. I'm guessing given the options OP wanted to stay in Cali. Still should have better options than Loyola or Pepperdine at sticker though.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm

OP: Your profile shows that you "...skipped four grades." Are you only 17 or 18 years old ? If so, wait at least a year. Reapply for better options.

P.S. I must have read another thread re: parents willing to pay sticker price. But, if you skipped four grades, you're probably a bit young for law school. Consider working for a year or two & reapply for better options both placement-wise 7 financially.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 24, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your profile shows that you "...skipped four grades." Are you only 17 or 18 years old ? If so, wait at least a year. Reapply for better options.

P.S. Your profile is unusual in that you claim a poor, disadvantaged background, yet your parents are willing to pay sticker price for your law school. ????

yes, please explain op.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 4:32 pm

@Mr. Pancakes: Sorry OP, but I confused info. from two threads. In this thread, OP claims to have skipped four grades & can live at home with parents; I was incorrect about parents offering to pay sticker.

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm actually turning 22 in June. I have been out of school for 4 years now. After undergrad, I worked at a non-profit organization for 2 years, after which I decided it was time for a break and decided to enjoy my youth a little more. Having been in school all my life and working right after, I think I deserved this 2 year break. I have had my fun and I am ready for the huge commitment that is law school. I can't see myself waiting another year. =/

Also, I'm sticking with my disadvantaged background claim. It just happens that I have a kind great-grandfather with resources willing to help me with school. I know it's not out of the question that he will finance my first year of school, at least.

And yes, I really want to stay in California for law school. More specifically, Southern California.

As to when I turned in my applications, it actually was pretty late as I took the February LSAT.. =/

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby padawanphil » Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 pm

All I've got to say is you should definitely negotiate. If you've been offered money to any other schools or even accepted at higher ranked ones then let them know and see if either school sweetens the deal. It doesn't cost you anything but the time it takes to write the emails.

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 pm

padawanphil wrote:All I've got to say is you should definitely negotiate. If you've been offered money to any other schools or even accepted at higher ranked ones then let them know and see if either school sweetens the deal. It doesn't cost you anything but the time it takes to write the emails.


Thanks a lot for your advice. I really wish I had either a scholarship offer at another school or an acceptance at a higher ranked one, but I don't. =/ I guess my only hope at this point is being admitted off the waitlist at UC Davis or UCI.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby padawanphil » Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm

GueritaPeloChino wrote:
padawanphil wrote:All I've got to say is you should definitely negotiate. If you've been offered money to any other schools or even accepted at higher ranked ones then let them know and see if either school sweetens the deal. It doesn't cost you anything but the time it takes to write the emails.


Thanks a lot for your advice. I really wish I had either a scholarship offer at another school or an acceptance at a higher ranked one, but I don't. =/ I guess my only hope at this point is being admitted off the waitlist at UC Davis or UCI.

If I were you I'd still try. Not having leverage certainly weakens your position, but, again, it doesn't cost you anything to try and it can save you a lot of money.

PaoloMatteo
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby PaoloMatteo » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Re-take and re-apply. DO NOT go to either of those schools at sticker price. Just don't do it. You're better off shoveling shit for a living.

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Thu May 31, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm in at UC Davis as of Monday. Hopefully their offer of admission helps me out with Loyola and Pepperdine. I'm just clueless as to how to go about letting these schools know I'm in at a school ranked higher than they. :?

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 pm

PaoloMatteo wrote:Re-take and re-apply. DO NOT go to either of those schools at sticker price. Just don't do it. You're better off shoveling shit for a living.

I disagree. They are both big gambles but I wouldn't go this ^ far.

OP, they both have decent reputations in the Southern California area (you probably can't take these degrees elsewhere). You'll have to do well and hustle to get a job that would justify paying sticker price. Loyola is typically a bit stronger within the downtown community. I vote Loyola if you don't retake/reapply.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby T00L » Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
PaoloMatteo wrote:Re-take and re-apply. DO NOT go to either of those schools at sticker price. Just don't do it. You're better off shoveling shit for a living.

I disagree. They are both big gambles but I wouldn't go this ^ far.

OP, they both have decent reputations in the Southern California area (you probably can't take these degrees elsewhere). You'll have to do well and hustle to get a job that would justify paying sticker price. Loyola is typically a bit stronger within the downtown community. I vote Loyola if you don't retake/reapply.


or get a 164 and go to pepp for free. They have a guaranteed scholly mark at lsat 92% (with a minimum gpa I can't remember)....and they definitely don't care if you have two scores... highest counts

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby top30man » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm

T00L wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
PaoloMatteo wrote:Re-take and re-apply. DO NOT go to either of those schools at sticker price. Just don't do it. You're better off shoveling shit for a living.

I disagree. They are both big gambles but I wouldn't go this ^ far.

OP, they both have decent reputations in the Southern California area (you probably can't take these degrees elsewhere). You'll have to do well and hustle to get a job that would justify paying sticker price. Loyola is typically a bit stronger within the downtown community. I vote Loyola if you don't retake/reapply.


or get a 164 and go to pepp for free. They have a guaranteed scholly mark at lsat 92% (with a minimum gpa I can't remember)....and they definitely don't care if you have two scores... highest counts

Agreed. You have to retake.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 am

T00L wrote:or get a 164 and go to pepp for free. They have a guaranteed scholly mark at lsat 92% (with a minimum gpa I can't remember)....and they definitely don't care if you have two scores... highest counts

It's not a guarantee.

All applicants for admission to the full-time Juris Doctor program at Pepperdine University School of Law with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher and an LSAT score in the 88th percentile are considered for the Dean's Merit Scholarship.


Notice OP got a 166.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby T00L » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:23 am

splitsplat wrote:
T00L wrote:or get a 164 and go to pepp for free. They have a guaranteed scholly mark at lsat 92% (with a minimum gpa I can't remember)....and they definitely don't care if you have two scores... highest counts

It's not a guarantee.

All applicants for admission to the full-time Juris Doctor program at Pepperdine University School of Law with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher and an LSAT score in the 88th percentile are considered for the Dean's Merit Scholarship.


Notice OP got a 166.


thats looks correct.... either it changed since last year or im going crazy... the latter isn't out of the question

GueritaPeloChino
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine vs. Loyola

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:31 pm

I've just been offered a 15k scholly for the first year (renewable) from Pepperdine. So far this is the only scholarship offer I have and my recent offer of admission at UC Davis. I received the email from Pepperdine earlier today. Any advice on how I should respond to the scholarship offer? Should it be a simple thank you? Is this the wise thing to do or am i somehow better off trying to ask for more money? I'm swaying towards just thanking them as I don't want to appear arrogant ... :?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malleus discentium and 6 guests