Cornell vs. WashU vs. GWU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
srrrrh

Cornell vs. WashU vs. GWU

Postby srrrrh » Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I just got off Cornell's reserve list today (no scholarship), which definitely complicates my decision. Previously I was deciding between WashU with $30k/year and GWU with $25k/year. I have some weak ties to Atlanta, but other than that my only ties are to regions where I don't want to practice. Ideally I'd like to end up in NYC, DC/NOVA or Chicago. I think I'd like to do some sort of child advocacy law or PI work but I'm not 100% set on it. I attended an ASD at WashU and liked the school a lot but wasn't big on St. Louis, and while I understand that it's hard to get jobs in St. Louis if you're not from the area originally, I have no interest in living in the midwest (apart from Chicago) and don't want to get stuck in the region. I've never been to Ithaca, and wasn't able to go to GW's ASD since I got off the wait list (I haven't visited the law school - I was planning on doing that this weekend - but I visited when I was touring undergrad schools and have spent a lot of time in the area).

My parents will be paying for law school, and while they have offered and can afford to do so I'm not sure Cornell is worth the extra money over WashU or GW, especially considering I'm not biglaw-or-bust. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ruxin1

Re: Cornell vs. WashU vs. GWU

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:51 pm

srrrrh wrote:I just got off Cornell's reserve list today (no scholarship), which definitely complicates my decision. Previously I was deciding between WashU with $30k/year and GWU with $25k/year. I have some weak ties to Atlanta, but other than that my only ties are to regions where I don't want to practice. Ideally I'd like to end up in NYC, DC/NOVA or Chicago. I think I'd like to do some sort of child advocacy law or PI work but I'm not 100% set on it. I attended an ASD at WashU and liked the school a lot but wasn't big on St. Louis, and while I understand that it's hard to get jobs in St. Louis if you're not from the area originally, I have no interest in living in the midwest (apart from Chicago) and don't want to get stuck in the region. I've never been to Ithaca, and wasn't able to go to GW's ASD since I got off the wait list (I haven't visited the law school - I was planning on doing that this weekend - but I visited when I was touring undergrad schools and have spent a lot of time in the area).

My parents will be paying for law school, and while they have offered and can afford to do so I'm not sure Cornell is worth the extra money over WashU or GW, especially considering I'm not biglaw-or-bust. Thoughts?

Thanks!

It doesn't seem you are real sure to location or career track, in that case I'd take option with most portability and best job prospects with Cornell. Even with your parents paying you could take $75k yourself, the difference between cornell and GW.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm

I respect you for trying to save your parents some $, and think the above idea is a good one. Cornell will open up many more doors for you, and though $30K a year is a significant amount of money, your parents will likely still be shelling out over $100K for one of the other schools.

top30man

Postby top30man » Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm

KMaine wrote:I respect you for trying to save your parents some $, and think the above idea is a good one. Cornell will open up many more doors for you, and though $30K a year is a significant amount of money, your parents will likely still be shelling out over $100K for one of the other schools.

I think this is definitely Cornell. If you had Midwest ties than wustl make sense. I don't think gwu is a good choice at all. Did they confirm that the new round of admits wont get any money for sure?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Withdraw from your third choice & see if they react by offering more scholarship money.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Hilarious that this is difficult ESPECIALLY since you're not taking out debt. Obviously Cornell here.... Is this a serious dilemma for you? People generally take out debt to attend T14 at sticker over even full rides at GWU/WUSTL. Seems absurd to needlessly give up prestige and job opportunities to save money at this juncture. You gotta think long-term...

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:51 pm

woeisme wrote:Hilarious that this is difficult ESPECIALLY since you're not taking out debt. Obviously Cornell here.... Is this a serious dilemma for you? People generally take out debt to attend T14 at sticker over even full rides at GWU/WUSTL. Seems absurd to needlessly give up prestige and job opportunities to save money at this juncture. You gotta think long-term...

This

Return to “Choosing a Law School”