Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or UCLA?

Michigan
86%
UCLA
14%

Total votes: 29

IrishThunder

New

Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$)

Post by IrishThunder » Thu May 24, 2012 10:42 am

I am having a really difficult time making this decision. Michigan has offered me $20,000/year compared to UCLA's $41,000. Additionally, I will be receiving 20,000/year from my family for either school. The remainder will be covered with loans, leaving the total debt at $84,000 and $28,000 respectively. When I decided to entertain the possibility of law school my interest was entertainment law, specifically contracts in the film industry. After doing research and divining that I was laboring under a misguided delusion with regard to my chances of working in entertainment (especially right out of school), I'm now more concerned with getting the best legal education at the best value. Is Michigan worth an extra 56k? I love the atmosphere at Michigan but was also impressed by UCLA's campus and the surrounding Westwood area. Both seemed like solid places to be a student. Since I hail from the Midwest and would only know a few people in either area, I believe my chances of success would be higher in a place with a more accessible/supportive student body. I've heard UCLA can be really competitive, but I didn't get that vibe when I visited for ASD. Any suggestions and/or insights?

flem

Diamond

Re: Michigan ($) vs. UCLA ($$)

Post by flem » Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 am

Michigan unless you have a huge preference for Southern California (and you might).

UCLA is a great deal for 28K worth of debt, but so is Michigan for 84K.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 24, 2012 10:59 am

Michigan is worth the 56k. Graduating from Michigan with under 100k in loans is a great deal.

At UCLA everybody is fighting to be in the top 1/3 to be considered for LA biglaw.

Plus Michigan just has much better biglaw stats anyways.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Close call, in my opinion, if you want to work in Southern California and/or if you are debt averse. For overall job prospects nationally, Michigan is the better choice.

IrishThunder

New

Post by IrishThunder » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Is Michigan a better choice if I'm hoping to land in Northern California?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 pm

IrishThunder wrote:Is Michigan a better choice if I'm hoping to land in Northern California?
Out of curiosity, what are your numbers?

IrishThunder

New

Post by IrishThunder » Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 pm

170/3.74, upward trend after an awful freshman year

Cartman

Bronze

Post by Cartman » Tue May 29, 2012 2:10 pm

If you're truly interested in entertainment law, and more specifically working in the film industry, you couldn't do much better than going to school in LA. Regarding competitiveness, I've heard to the contrary. I suppose it depends on who you ask, though. Lots of schools have reputations for competitive atmospheres that quickly diminish once you get there.

My vote, then, would be for UCLA.

Edit: Just realized UCLA was at $41,000/year. This makes it an obvious choice. That's nearly a full ride in terms of tuition. Take it and run with it.
Last edited by Cartman on Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Cartman wrote:If you're truly interested in entertainment law, and more specifically working in the film industry, you couldn't do much better than going to school in LA. Regarding competitiveness, I've heard to the contrary. I suppose it depends on who you ask, though. Lots of schools have reputations for competitive atmospheres that quickly diminish once you get there.

Says the guy on the Michigan waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cartman

Bronze

Post by Cartman » Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Cartman wrote:If you're truly interested in entertainment law, and more specifically working in the film industry, you couldn't do much better than going to school in LA. Regarding competitiveness, I've heard to the contrary. I suppose it depends on who you ask, though. Lots of schools have reputations for competitive atmospheres that quickly diminish once you get there.

Says the guy on the Michigan waitlist.
Indeed. Full disclosure is that I am on Michigan's waitlist. However, owing to the fact that OP wants entertainment law, and specifically film related entertainment law, AND owing to the fact that he's almost getting a full ride in tuition, I don't see why UCLA isn't a great option.

Take what you will. Congrats on the awesome options, OP!

Edit: And, for the record, I'm on both WL's.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 pm

IrishThunder wrote:I am having a really difficult time making this decision. Michigan has offered me $20,000/year compared to UCLA's $41,000. Additionally, I will be receiving 20,000/year from my family for either school. The remainder will be covered with loans, leaving the total debt at $84,000 and $28,000 respectively. When I decided to entertain the possibility of law school my interest was entertainment law, specifically contracts in the film industry. After doing research and divining that I was laboring under a misguided delusion with regard to my chances of working in entertainment (especially right out of school), I'm now more concerned with getting the best legal education at the best value. Is Michigan worth an extra 56k? I love the atmosphere at Michigan but was also impressed by UCLA's campus and the surrounding Westwood area. Both seemed like solid places to be a student. Since I hail from the Midwest and would only know a few people in either area, I believe my chances of success would be higher in a place with a more accessible/supportive student body. I've heard UCLA can be really competitive, but I didn't get that vibe when I visited for ASD. Any suggestions and/or insights?

I vote UCLA since I am probably going there, but I do think Michigan is the better school.

I would rather spend a winter in UCLA than Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”