UF vs Cumberland (Samford) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Diamond

Re: UF vs Cumberland (Samford)

Post by flem » Fri May 25, 2012 3:07 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
If only this lay preftige translated into actual job placement.

If you want to work in Alabama, you should be Alabama or bust.

mattslau

New

Post by mattslau » Sat May 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Ok I just got waitlisted at Bama. Retaking and reapplying is not an option since I have taken the lsat 3 times in the last year. Im leaning towards UF. I know the 1L at the top of his class at Cumberland. He only got one offer for this summer and is now deciding to transfer. He advised me to go UF. One offer for the "number 1 in his class" seemed extremely low. Anyone with any insight into that would be great as well. Thanks for all responses, even the ones calling me stupid (never claimed to be smart, just motivated).

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Sat May 26, 2012 7:23 pm

mattslau wrote:Ok I just got waitlisted at Bama. Retaking and reapplying is not an option since I have taken the lsat 3 times in the last year.
I don't follow. How does that statement lead to that conclusion? What's is the assumption here?

Also you never answered the questions of GPA and how long you have been studying. I'm not trying to be a dick but if you give us that info we will be more helpful.

mattslau

New

Post by mattslau » Sat May 26, 2012 7:43 pm

My numbers were 3.84 and 158. The LSAC says you cannot take the lsat more than 3 times in 2 years.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat May 26, 2012 7:51 pm

mattslau wrote:My numbers were 3.84 and 158. The LSAC says you cannot take the lsat more than 3 times in 2 years.
That's a good Gpa. No one is calling you stupid. It's just that waiting a year, retaking and bama with $$$ is the best option for your goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Sat May 26, 2012 9:37 pm

See now that we have the whole picture. Go to UF

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Deposit UF and work that Alabama Waitlist hard. Write a convincing LOCI. Take a visit where you meet with admissions. Keep in contact with them and let them know you'll deposit immediately if you are pulled off.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm

WAY before I found TLS it was a Cumberland LS grad that explained to me that if you want to actually practice law that your school choice is important.... He muttered something about he is glad he went as it has helped his career in the Army (not a JAG) and it is a nice thing to have if you want to go into politics etc but if I actually wanted to "practice law" that I should go to a top law school or at least the top law school that feeds the market I wanted to work in.....

I have worked with law grads from schools like Cumberland that were flight attendants, pilots, photographers and in the military (not JAGs)

While Florida may not help you go straight to Alabama at least you have a decent shot at a JD job that will pay the bills....

Go Gators.....

(And yeah, work that Bama waitlist HARD!)

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue May 29, 2012 6:31 pm

If you're dead set on going to LS, I still say I'd pick UF over Cumberland and work the Bama waitlist.

The best advice is really to pray you get into Bama and retake if you don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”